Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Info > CSDb moving to a new server
2012-06-24 11:31
Perff
Administrator

CSDb moving to a new server

Hi everyone.

I've been planing to move CSDb to a new server for some time now, as the old one was getting old. :)

As the new server is running new versions of php etc. I need to recode bits and pieces, which is why it has been going a bit slow.

Then today I got a mail from my hosting company, telling me that the old server is flashing red. They say it's a pending hardware failure. :(

Hopefully nothing will happen before I get CSDb moved, but I will for sure not have the time to test everything as good as I wanted, so be prepared for misc. stuff acting wierd when I get it moved.

The worst case is that the old server suddenly crash, and data will be lost.
I'll make sure to take backups often, and transfer them to the new server, to make the loss of data minimal in this case, but I though you should know this is a possibility.

Anyway, hope to see you soon on the new server. :)

... 46 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-06-28 22:10
bepp

Still can't reference SIDs from latest HVSC. I know it has prolly nothing to do with the server switching. But it would be nice to have it fixed =)
2012-06-29 04:32
ChristopherJam

Nice work, Perff!

Also, *rofl* @ Perplex :)
2012-06-29 12:13
Skate

Quote: So how are people supposed to know there's an error and report that then? Some errors could also be browser related? I am not sure Klaus has all the browsers on this planet to test

listen mr.smartass, i'm using PHP from its first release and there is a simple rule for PHP.

1) Enable all messages (even notices) at your development platform.

2) Disable all messages except errors (sometimes even errors) on production machine. why? to avoid hacks! hackers like to use these messages and there are some tricky ways to learn some hidden information generating warning/error messages (like learning the database user name and bruteforce the password etc.).

That warning was about using objects as array keys. Possible workaround is converting them to string or using a string function which accepts objects like trim(). That's not a big deal. PHP already does the convertion automatically but generates a warning just like many compilers does the same for type convertions (possible loss of data etc.).

Please note that PHP wasn't generating this warning up to a certain version. Since I haven't seen any part of CSDB source code, i thought arrays could have been used with object keys at many places. So, if fixing this problem everywhere was hard, just disabling the warnings wouldn't be a problem since production server configuration meant to be like this.

edit:

example url for you
http://aymanh.com/checklist-for-securing-php-configuration#erro..
2012-06-29 12:23
Nafcom

I don't think insulting people is really smart either. Oh and it was MagerValp who first wrote a comment in this way, not me (I just agreed on him). I am pretty sure Perff knows what's the best to do.
2012-06-29 12:29
Skate

Quote: I don't think insulting people is really smart either. Oh and it was MagerValp who first wrote a comment in this way, not me (I just agreed on him). I am pretty sure Perff knows what's the best to do.

@Nafcom: It was a mistake, i was trying to quote MagerValp, your message is not insulting. MagerValp is the smartass one.

I adore Perff's dedication to this site but i don't see any reason to believe my PHP knowledge is worse than him. I've developed hundereds of PHP projects over the years. Some of them are being used by worldwide banks including Citibank etc. I don't need to prove myself to anyone but please stop making comments without enough knowledge.
2012-06-29 12:36
Nafcom

Okay then apology accepted. I guess that is why CSDb v.2 is planned since ages to get the whole site redone in a better way and more secure way.
2012-06-29 12:44
d0c

wow!!! new csdb is speedy, i like it :D
2012-06-29 18:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
php is shitty..??

from all languages i have worked with, it must be the one that is the least well specified and least well designed one - by far. you know you are in trouble when even the original coder says things like "it was never ment for huge projects" =)
2012-06-29 18:07
Queen bittin
Account closed

Quote: wow!!! new csdb is speedy, i like it :D

same :) indeedy <3
2012-06-29 20:18
JackAsser

Quote: Quote:
php is shitty..??

from all languages i have worked with, it must be the one that is the least well specified and least well designed one - by far. you know you are in trouble when even the original coder says things like "it was never ment for huge projects" =)

Bash my friend! Bash is faaaaaar worse. Since php5, i think php is exceptionally good. Problem is that you are not forced into a structure, like j2ee f.e., which will allow you to create a mess unless you have teh sk1llz.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Kruthers
Six/G★P
Guests online: 113
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)