Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > LevelEditors
2002-04-08 08:51
Dwangi

LevelEditors

Hello, I have looked at some leveleditors for c64 (for game creating) but unfortunaly no one is real good. Can anyone recommend a good one... ??
2002-04-08 11:48
cadaver

If you meant a leveleditor for some existing game, then this doesn't apply...but...

If you can stand the idea of cross-editing (in this case, on Win32 platform) then take a look at the Covert Bitops tools at

http://covertbitops.cjb.net/tools.htm

..the "Background Editor" collection; these are SEUCK-like background editors for 4x4 block scrolling levels that I use for my games.

Of course, it's likely that you have to code your own editor or modify existing ones to get precisely what you want.
2002-04-09 08:50
hollowman

i tried to find a good level editor before, but no luck.
then lynchbit made one. there are a few details that bother me, but i still think its really good.
ftp://ftp.scs-trc.net/pub/c64/Tools/Misc/ld_level.zip
2002-04-09 11:26
CreaMD

I Like Game Graphic Editor by J.Fox I had version cracked by Transcom. It doesn't have tiles but just charset editor/ and charset graphic editing (editable size of findow, decent copying and manipulating functions, I've mad 8x8 charsets with this editor very easily etc.). It's very powerful and it's even combined with very very good sprite editor.
2006-09-12 15:31
Twoflower

I guess it's time to bring this topic up again, concidering the fact that ALiH has brought forth his game-competition. After scouring around the web a little, I sadly found out that there are no Win-based generic level-editors at all for the C64. I'm really kind of shocked. Do you guys have an idea how many level-editors and so on there are existant for platforms such as the NES or the Gameboy?

Actually, the state of things is so bad that the best current option is to use the Gameboy-based GBMB (Gameboy Map Builder) and GBTD (Gameboy Tile Designer) as they are generic - you can edit metatiles of almost any size you find fitting. The only setback is that you have to draw the chars twice, once in GBTD and once in Subchrist's CharPad. If you then export your map in chosen format, the combination will work out pretty well.

The problem is that things shouldn't be handled this way. You shouldn't have use a leveleditor for the Gameboy to make levels for the C64. There ought to be some kind of generic solution which is dedicated to the C-64. I think this would be more than benefitting for the small C64 gamemaking community there is. The current two which I have found to exist is:

1) CharPad by Subchrist. (Edits 4x4 char metatiles only)
2) Lasses Backgroundeditors (Edits 4x4 char metatiles)

And that's it. That's everything. Could any of you concider making a generic level-editor with the support of C-64 chars? A level-editor which could make levels based on any combination up to 8x8 metatiles, or atleast 1x1, 2x2, 3x2, and 4x4 metatiles? A level-editor which can sort the row of metatiles in both rows and columns? Please? Pretty please? And have I forgotten any crossplatform-editor?
2006-09-12 15:40
cadaver

Eh, once you get past just defining the chars/tiles there's still so much game-specific things to do (object/enemy placement and such) that I guess such editor would still do the job only halfway?
2006-09-12 15:48
Twoflower

Halfway is better than no-way, I reckon. But looking at the available tools on the C-64, there is close to nothing. If I just don't have to edit the levels by hand in an hex-editor (or even worse - in monitor). If objects, collision-maps and so on is based on a similar metatile-system, i'd be able to use the same editor for all layers save for the handling of the enemies. I guess making generic routines on the C-64 that strips down/compacts the data wouldn't be that hard. What I don't want to do is doing the level-editing on the real thing.
2006-09-12 15:50
Oswald

there were several ammazingly good level / char / sprite editors released together with one of the VN issues. but that was years ago an my memory is short (maybe one of the editors was called "delight")

jazzcat ?
2006-09-12 16:22
cadaver

For all I know, such do-it-all editor could be very useful. But it would be sad to see a good game idea wasted or badly realized just because internal leveldataformat was limited by editor. For example, for big Turrican-like maps you probably need enemy/item lists, not an extra map layer.
2006-09-12 16:24
jailbird

I don't know how useful it might be, but a very long time ago I played a bit in Vespa's Background Editor. I really liked it back then, but I think I'd have some issues with it today. Worth to take a glance.

The editor + a few ugly examples...
http://www.arnoldcistai.net/temp/stuff.gz

2006-09-12 17:38
Twoflower

Hmm, can't get the above editor to work, but doesn't it look just like... Ehm... Another non-generic 4x4 metatileeditor to me? Or are the sizes adjustable?

I completely agree that games with huge levels need generic editors. You can't afford the luxury to use multiple layers in such a tool. Was the level-editor for Turrican III ever released, by the way? That must have been something out of the ordinary...

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
CA$H/TRiAD
HCL/Booze Design
Dr. Doom/RAD
Almighty God/Level 6..
alwyz/udi