Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Werner ! (Registered 2024-05-30) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Turrican 3
2004-08-29 14:46
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Turrican 3

Has anyone played Turrican 3? if so, what do you think :)

I've had a quick go, not had the time to have a proper go just yet. So far though i have mixed opinions. Credit where credit is due, the play does play like Turrican and Turrican 2. The graphics on level 1 seemed too much like Turrican and the 1st big (mid level) boss turned out to be a big fist, which was a bit of a let down, as after all, there is a big fist as a mid level boss during the first Turrican (although on the Turrican 3 the fist is animated).

The collision seems somewhat iffy at times, there appears to be no in game sound fx? and the screen glitches alot when lots of enemies appear on screen (although i was using an emu, so maybe this does not happen on real c64).

All in all, the game does seem like good fun. I will need to play some more to form more opinions /wec :)
2004-08-29 15:09
Merman

Sadly, the glitching happens on a real 64C as well.

But...

I really like this. The difficulty is about right, the atmosphere is excellent, and the in-game music is a stunning feature. There are one or two problems, but then those same problems (enemies stuck in walls, power-ups scrolling off screen) happened in the first two Turrican games.

Read an EXCLUSIVE "first look" at Turrican 3 in issue 12 of Scene World, out 31st August.
2004-08-29 16:23
Nafcom

those graphic glitches do not happen in the later worlds/levels. just the first ones are based on old code, that's what AEG said.
I find T3 absolutely stunning! Especially the tune "Viruz" from Jeff in 1-2! I listened to that one 2 1/2 hours without getting mad :P

Retorn of Darkness demo is, by the way, the story telling/inofficial intro of T3.........
2004-08-29 16:40
cadaver

Later levels have lockup bug on death (sometimes) instead of graphics glitches. I hugely respect everything up to level 3-3, then it goes downhill..
2004-08-29 16:45
Steppe

I wonder why that one wasn't included as intro sequence to T3...
And yes, the game definitely is a hit! Nevertheless, the glitches and bugs are a little annoying:

- Being teleported into solid matter, not being able to move again and consecutively losing all lives due to time-out... argh.

- The music and the whole game in turn slows down considerably when using too much autofire and with a lot of sprites on screen.

- The collision detection is really flakey sometimes (bullets/enemies)

- Heavy flickering in the statusbar on the bottom of the screen

On the pro side I have to admit that the gameplay is awesome with just the right difficulty level (maybe even a little too easy, but better than depressingly hard). The musics (what I heard so far) are great too. The ability to save the game at certain checkpoints would be nice! ;-)

Please don't take this as ragging, AEG (if you should read this), I'm just trying to give some honest, constructive feedback.

Steppe (hoping for a bugfixed version to be released some day)
2004-08-29 16:49
Nafcom

@Steppe. The "intro" wasn't included because: "It would have taken up too much space".

I couldn't really understand this reason really, so I really _do_ agree with you, that it should have been as the intro there. The "intro" has been coded within 2 days before Breakpoint.

Well, I do _hope_ some cracking group will release a GOLD EDITION with spelling error free intro (so return of darkness infront of t3) and with less graphic clitches/crashes.

Apart from that, I like the game very much!! :)
Thanks for this game, AEG!
2004-08-29 17:41
_V_
Account closed

As a longtime Turrican nut, I have waited for this title with great anticipation, but I'm going to wait with a complete review until I've fully completed the game - I only had time to play it twice so far. I can safely say that the graphics and music are all up to par with the world of Turrican. In fact, when I first entered world 1-1, it felt like I was finally home =).

Unfortunately, it was a bit too much like home. I expected a new, of course Turrican-ish world, not a remix of Turrican 2. Luckily, world 2 *is* all-new, so it was quickly forgotten. I guess world 1 is a tribute to Turrican 1 and 2 (I especially liked the return of the giant fist), so it's no biggie.

What worries me more, however, is the gameplay. Jumping with Bren feels 'weird' to say the least, and when you do, the screen will scroll slightly up. "Is that a problem?", I hear you ask, and I have to say, "Umm yeah". Because when you scroll up, you run the risk of triggering some monsters. They appear 'out of the blue', just like that. And usually you just jump right into one of the fresh monsters, costing you energy.

Something like that makes exploration a chore, because you have to jump up very, very carefully to be sure that the monsters don't suddenly appear straight into Turrican. Furthermore, if you would then jump down and move back to where the monster was, he will have disappeared... the monster doesn't follow you, it doesn't stay where it was, it just vanishes into thin air. Weird. Some monster types stay, but most of them vanish.

Then, the bosses. Yes, they're big, bad and fast. But they are all surprisingly easy to beat (at least up to level 3-3). In every case, I can simply position Bren somewhere safe, activate the surround laser (or keep blasting) and wait until the boss has killed itself. Since the clock stops during the boss fights, all I have to do is keep the buttons pressed and wait. Admittedly, some Turrican baddies suffer from the same problem, but I kinda hoped that some real fighting would exist. Oh well.

Okay, these are my first thoughts. I will finish the entire game, I will explore every nook and cranny for a proper review, but I must say that the gameplay is less than in the other Turricans. Impression so far: **** (out of 5).

I wanted to give *** at first, but my massive respect for the job done by AEG, as well as the sound krew (and yes, I do prefer good music over sparse sound fx =) cannot be ignored. Thumbs up for an amazing looker and hearer so far, guys, way, way, up they go! And I'd like to share the same sentiment as Steppe, this is not ragging, just preliminary feedback about gameplay points which struck me as odd/bad while I played. Luckily, I haven't materialised into solid background so far.
2004-08-29 18:28
Nafcom

well, I have just played it once more.
The Steppe method (autofire on) is horrible at 1-2, it flickers horrible.

In 2-2 I get 1 x UP and suddenly I get 1 x more Up and don't see from where? Suddenly I just have one live more.

What Steppe says with stucking in wall _nearly_ happened to me in 2-2 but only nearly (!) O:)

2-3 seem to be a nice remix of a Turrican III Amiga tune? not that I have seen the amiga version ,but somewhere I have some mp3 remix here...

In 2-3, the cut sequence is very nice and funny and the Katakis like shoot'em up levels are dreamful, why didn't in past the background graphics of shoot 'em uppers look that great?! Hmm, looks like ifli 64 color mode and gives a nice 3D effect. I lost live at 3-2 and found a bug in the highscore table , after I have entered "Nafcom" it looked like somebody messed up the screen, all over colorful corsors.

So far...
2004-08-29 18:44
Exile

hhmmm, have to tell you, but the intro is on disk side 3, but nobody knows how to start it? Got this from our very own galaktus which tested the game for AEG.

So better ask AEG hoe to start the damn thing. And got to the website and email him to get manfred working on the official katakis 2!

2004-08-29 21:04
Nafcom

Quote: hhmmm, have to tell you, but the intro is on disk side 3, but nobody knows how to start it? Got this from our very own galaktus which tested the game for AEG.

So better ask AEG hoe to start the damn thing. And got to the website and email him to get manfred working on the official katakis 2!

I have just asked AEG wether Return of Darkness is on side 3:

Let's quote him:
"No, that's nonsense, and we don't know who made this rumour up, but it doesn't come from us. On side three is level 5-1, 5-2 und and the end (level 5-3)."
2004-08-29 21:25
gALAKTUS
Account closed

Ok, I guess there was some kind of missunderstanding on Willow about the intro on the 3rd disk side of Turrican III release. Sorry About that! But hey you are free to download the "Return of Darkness" intro/demo from Breakpoint and enjoy it!

@All people which are bitching around the bugs in Turrican III, I can only say, what a lame behaviour! Nobody said that Turrican III is perfect, but realize that it took 7 years of hard work to do it. Also realize that AEG was not payed for it, so the only motivation was to present a good game to you (please keep that in mind, next time you start argumenting).

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Trazan
Alakran_64
A3/AFL
CA$H/TRiAD
Bob/Censor Design
Sande/Hokuto Force