Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Adding Skype status buttons to the profile page
2006-11-11 23:41
jailbird

Adding Skype status buttons to the profile page

Skype is really popular nowadays so it would be a kind of cool to be able to add a clickable Skype button to you userpage or signature just like the ICQ status button.

Info about skype buttons:
http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/advanced.html

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-11-12 02:17
jailbird

Quote: also add icq, irc nick, msn, :P :)

First of all, for your information: an option to add your ICQ number is already there.

But I didn't asked for yet another IM client's status button. Skype is different as it offers VOIP and it's one of the most popular way of communication over the internet. Nevertheless, I really don't get what's the big deal with a 16x16px icon on profile pages in order to add sceners to your Skype contact-list much more easily (by clicking on the button instead of using the client's search function which isn't always reliable). Will it hurt your feelings? You don't like the look of the button? It's against your political views? It will ruin the aesthetics of the profile page? What?!
2006-11-12 07:06
Oswald

there's your skype client for anything you want to do with skype. dont make a rose colored sissy, communication and friendship site out of csdb please.

icq msn and skype sucks anyway. they are only 1to1 communincations while on irc you have a real community. (without emoticons, and nice pictures and other feats which are for the weak)
2006-11-12 07:38
null
Account closed

Quote: there's your skype client for anything you want to do with skype. dont make a rose colored sissy, communication and friendship site out of csdb please.

icq msn and skype sucks anyway. they are only 1to1 communincations while on irc you have a real community. (without emoticons, and nice pictures and other feats which are for the weak)

hehe, yeah, I agree... I use IRC mostly now, instead of MSN... also a downpoint of MSN is, is that some people try to put as many emoticons in each message, which makes my not so fast computer run even slower...

so, IRC r0xX0rz!!1 =D

btw, MSN is not 'only 1 to 1 communication', you can also have groupchats, although I must admit they aren't quite as much fun and/or spontanious as on IRC =)

/knoeki
2006-11-12 07:48
jailbird

Quote: there's your skype client for anything you want to do with skype. dont make a rose colored sissy, communication and friendship site out of csdb please.

Ok, sorry for bringing it up and upsetting your deep, delicate idea about communication.

And for the record, here you go:

\:P/
2006-11-12 09:03
Oswald

jb :_) man, anyway tell me a scener, whom with u r used to communiacte over skype :P :)
2006-11-12 13:27
jailbird

Hold on, Oswald... Newsflash!

*There are people out there who's opinion may differ from yours*

Look, I just brought up a simple idea. Sure, I wasn't expecting instant words of hailing, but neither your usual grumpy griping about stuff you like and dislike. All your reasoning drained out at expressing your hate towards instant messengers or emoticons, and the fear of turning CSDb into a hippy place.

I ignore IRC for the same reason you love it, the "real" community. With all of its pros an cons, the pointer on the scale is always a bit more on the negative side. The trolls, the 24/7 idle polymaths, the ops, the bots, the flames, the kicks, the bans, the spam, etc etc... And after all, you end up at /msg-ing to your friends or creating your channel with a few of your pals where you can talk in peace. I'm not saying it's bad, _I_ personally don't like it, that's all.

Instead, I dig the way of communication where I can choose who to ignore or let into my private communication sphere. You obviously don't know too much about Skype. It's not strictly a 1-to-1 way of communication. You could set up a chatroom or a VOIP conference. It is ideal for development teams if they'd like to discuss certain problems or solutions by voice. It's far legible, much faster and easier than any other way of communication over the internet. I use it every day and I prefer it to any other way of messaging. Even emailing starts to be obsolete. Pictures and emoticons? Who cares, man? Turn them off if you don't like them.

But still, I beg for your forgiveness, Oswald! I only wanted a very easy way to find the sceners I know which are using Skype... Once again, I'm really really sorry. I admit, it was so wrong to ask about an option that has nothing to do with random pictures, DTV, Plus 4 or breaking topiclist into pages. I'll never do that again, promise!

At the moment I have 5 sceners on my contact list, that's more than one. Satisfied?
2006-11-12 13:39
Mermaid

I for one use Skype to talk to other sceners on a regular basis.

But yes, I can see how letting the people who use Skype (or MSN for that matter) add a little icon to their csdb profile is a horrible horrible dreadful evil thing which will ruin and degenerate the entire database and make it useless for everyone.

2006-11-12 13:42
jailbird

Jailbird hugs Mermaid <3

In your face, Oswald! \:D\ /:D/ \:D\ /:D/
2006-11-12 14:02
Oswald

a little icon to their csdb profile is a horrible horrible dreadful evil thing which will ruin and degenerate the entire database and make it useless for everyone.

exactly \o/

Jailbird, you have problems with ppl and not with irc, you can choose who to ignore or let into your private communication sphere on irc aswell.

oh you want real reasoning ? u can add comments to ur userpage, so everyone can add THERE his fave my little pony chat/voip signature if he likes to. :P :)
2006-11-12 14:21
jailbird

Quote: a little icon to their csdb profile is a horrible horrible dreadful evil thing which will ruin and degenerate the entire database and make it useless for everyone.

exactly \o/

Jailbird, you have problems with ppl and not with irc, you can choose who to ignore or let into your private communication sphere on irc aswell.

oh you want real reasoning ? u can add comments to ur userpage, so everyone can add THERE his fave my little pony chat/voip signature if he likes to. :P :)

Oswald, you should be the last one to raise a voice against pouring trash in the database. Your constant posting of bullshit pictures which have nothing to do with the topics already polluted the database far worse what 30+ Skype usernames would do.

Keep on praising your fearless 31337 hardcore h4XX0r, pony hater, emoticonless IRC community, I'm off to grab a beer.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
Fred/Channel 4
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Harry Potthead
Stinsen/G★P
Didi/Laxity