Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Sound Effects / jingles
2006-12-12 16:42
Trifox
Account closed

Sound Effects / jingles

Hi all,

i am currently working on a block game, now i have come to the point where i want to put some nice jingles/mini soundtracks into it to respond to useractions, at first glance i thought i could use a 'short' sid, so that just some notes are played, and then it stops, but it is a bit ugly, then i thought about making a simple tracker myself, but got stuck with it, thew player works, but no editor is available,

could you please describe how YOU ( yes YOU! ) would deal with short tracks ( preferably 3 channels )

beside of that i am wondering if it would be a problem if i have a 2 channel SID playing in the background, and use channel 3 for sound effekts ( 1 channel only ) ... did not test it out yet, but your comments and opinions on this subjects are greatly appreciated ...

trifox
2006-12-12 19:10
Mace

Well, actually... it *is* the modus operandi to just make short SIDs. In fact, there are trackers around (don't ask me which) that make it possible to use only 1 player with various tunes. With LDA fxnumber / JSR init you'd get just the effect you'd like.

What is so ugly about that?
2006-12-12 19:21
Trifox
Account closed

this would be absolutely perfekt .... if it works in a acceptable matter of time, i would need to switch sound effekts very often ... ;)

and its exactly the reason why i am asking here, because you all are so experienced with many kinds of problems concerning 64 coding, i am wondering if a sid tune stops playing automatically if there is no jump command at the end, i am not that experienced with 64 coding, nor c64 sound ... i have no sound experience at all, just startet fasttracker on amiga and left it alone years ago ....

another question that comes to my mind is, fading a sound at the start and the end, i have not played around with it, would it be enough to simply fade the volume registers of each sound channel ....?
2006-12-12 19:49
Hein

Try Goattracker 2, it's got a build-in (somewhat simplistic, but suffice) sound effects routine. If you want more sophisticated sound effects, you may consider doing the soundeffects engine yourself and use a (hacked) player to do the music. Goattracker is also a good alternative for Fasttracker freaks.
2006-12-12 20:55
Laxity

Quote: this would be absolutely perfekt .... if it works in a acceptable matter of time, i would need to switch sound effekts very often ... ;)

and its exactly the reason why i am asking here, because you all are so experienced with many kinds of problems concerning 64 coding, i am wondering if a sid tune stops playing automatically if there is no jump command at the end, i am not that experienced with 64 coding, nor c64 sound ... i have no sound experience at all, just startet fasttracker on amiga and left it alone years ago ....

another question that comes to my mind is, fading a sound at the start and the end, i have not played around with it, would it be enough to simply fade the volume registers of each sound channel ....?

There's only one global volume register, so if you want to fade a piece of music while you still play your sound effects, you're in trouble..

If you have even the slightest intest in music or sound effects, it'd really suggest you code your own drivers for that - it's a lot of fun to do ;)
2006-12-12 21:46
Trifox
Account closed

ok, the global sound register would do the job for smooth fading ... ;)

to the sound effects

i just want to give my sound engineer all the pleasure of a comfortable sound editor, i can write a player for those jingles/sound effects, but i do not want to write an editor ... ;|

it would be great if sid files would stop playing after a certain amount of time ( encoded in the sid )
2006-12-13 09:03
Mace

Quote:
it would be great if sid files would stop playing after a certain amount of time ( encoded in the sid )

I believe most, if not all players have the option of either looping a tune or play it once.
So if you used just that, the song will stop at the end.

Other than that, playing a sound is only a matter of a JSR to the music in every rastercycle. If you know when to stop the music, just skip the JSR. It might even be possible to read a songpointer, so you can decide on various inputs (song pointer, game level, player position) to either continue or stop the music.
2006-12-13 18:48
Richard

The way I did sound effects for games, like Grid Zone Remix and Stranded (C64 version) was by using the DMC music editor. DMC can have up to 8 tracks in one file, so I used one track for the main music/jingles, and each track as sound effects.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Tom-Cat/Nostalgia
Viti/Hokuto Force
Steel/SCS&TRC/G★P
Guests online: 136
Top Demos