Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > VIC Bank @ $c000-$ffff
2013-04-03 01:00
robo

VIC Bank @ $c000-$ffff

I'm trying to code a game and got into trouble with free memory space.
So I want to use RAM behind I/O and kernal ROM for graphics data storage.

I know how to manage that $01 and $dd00 things, but how can I upload data to that area >$cfff?
I'm using kernal routines for loading and don't know how to do it another way, so I will have to switch RAM off.
Is it possible since writes to ROM locations are sent to RAM?
I guess at least this will not work for $d000-$dfff.

If I'm totally wrong, how would you do it?

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-04-03 06:01
Oswald

VIC does not regard $01 settings it will always read from ram, $01 only changes things from the CPU's perspective. Action Replay loader is backwards compatible with the kernal, but if you dont have it the kernal is not able to load to $dxxx. Best thing to do is Graham's suggestion, load somewhere else and copy to final place afterwards (minimal extra time compared to kernals sluggishness).

http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:memory_management
2013-04-03 08:35
Frantic

Easiest thing to do is to pack the whole thing using exomizer or pucrunch or so, and then just let the depacker code take care of the copying of data to the upper memory range for you.
2013-04-03 08:45
cadaver

If you load your file manually byte-by-byte, ie. using CHRIN and not LOAD, you can switch $01 value in between each byte to store it to the RAM underneath I/O space.
2013-04-03 08:57
Monte Carlos

As we have seen shortly (Nocode-slide) you can indeed load to $d000-$dfff, but you do not load to ram but to the io registers. If you load valid register values there should be no problem loading over that area and also to $e000-$ffff(writes are going into ram). Some registers are even suitable to store data which can be copied to ram below $d000-$dfff later on (for example sprite coordinates, bgcolor nibbles, color ram nibbles). But be aware of mirror registers! Temporary screen mess should be not a problem.

2013-04-03 09:12
JackAsser

Quote: As we have seen shortly (Nocode-slide) you can indeed load to $d000-$dfff, but you do not load to ram but to the io registers. If you load valid register values there should be no problem loading over that area and also to $e000-$ffff(writes are going into ram). Some registers are even suitable to store data which can be copied to ram below $d000-$dfff later on (for example sprite coordinates, bgcolor nibbles, color ram nibbles). But be aware of mirror registers! Temporary screen mess should be not a problem.

How do one guarantee that writing to $dd00 doesn't screw up loading? How did you do it TLR?
2013-04-03 09:18
Oswald

Quote: As we have seen shortly (Nocode-slide) you can indeed load to $d000-$dfff, but you do not load to ram but to the io registers. If you load valid register values there should be no problem loading over that area and also to $e000-$ffff(writes are going into ram). Some registers are even suitable to store data which can be copied to ram below $d000-$dfff later on (for example sprite coordinates, bgcolor nibbles, color ram nibbles). But be aware of mirror registers! Temporary screen mess should be not a problem.

one other question arises, whats up with mirrored VIC/SID/CIA registers? and I guess mirroring changes from machine to machine, so that demo might not be compatible with all machines.
2013-04-03 13:44
robo

Thanks a lot, guys!
I think I will do as cadaver suggested and slightly modify graham's byte-by-byte file-reading routine from codebase.

Maybe I'll upload a demolevel in a few weeks.
2013-04-03 16:46
Count Zero

Also IO1 and 2 need to be taken care of whenever cartridges are active :)
2013-04-03 17:17
algorithm

Quote: one other question arises, whats up with mirrored VIC/SID/CIA registers? and I guess mirroring changes from machine to machine, so that demo might not be compatible with all machines.

I guess its the same for C64's but not for a C128
2013-04-03 17:25
tlr

Quoting JackAsser
How do one guarantee that writing to $dd00 doesn't screw up loading? How did you do it TLR?
I assumed CLK and DATA (and ATN) would be the same state after fetching a byte. A quick check of ACPTR ($EE13) indicates that is true.
So basically I just replicate that setup in every mirror. Timers are set to $FFFF and IRQs and timers disabled.

Quoting Oswald
one other question arises, whats up with mirrored VIC/SID/CIA registers? and I guess mirroring changes from machine to machine, so that demo might not be compatible with all machines.
On all stock C64s it should be the same. On the C128 it is different IIRC (is that true for C64 mode?) but as long as there are no (too evil) side effects on those additional mirrors it could work.

Quoting Count Zero
Also IO1 and 2 need to be taken care of whenever cartridges are active :)
I write those all 00 as I assumed it would be the "safest". Verified working with AR in vice.
In hindsight I should have made the load address $00ae though to force cartridges to use kernal load. Now you need to do OFF.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Unlock/Padua/Albion
Sokrates
Didi/Laxity
psych
MightyAxle
Viti/Hokuto Force