Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Bug Reports > Unfair charts voting results
2011-05-10 14:18
booker
Account closed

Unfair charts voting results

Hi, allow me just to quote the best idea I've read so far about voting system:

Quoting enthusi
And Im not growing tired of suggesting to just count all votes > 8 accumulative for gfx,music,code.
6 * vote 10 = 60 points
20 * vote 8 = 160 points
etc.
Maybe someone who is (even ;-) more into database stuff than me can play with CSDb votes and give this approach a try?
Last time I checked that manually I was pretty content with the overall results.

Seems to be very fair option and as well relatively easy to implement using already existing data.

Even then bugs like 16th place of T.C. with 4 votes (36 pts. total) vs. 16th place of Hayes (46 pts. total) vs. Scortia 18th (138 pts. total) would be solved automatically ;)

... 36 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-10 19:48
Joe

Quoting Groepaz

i have a better idea - whoever starts whining about the voting, will be switched into voting mode and cant access the forum nor the comments unless he voted for an additional 100 entries.

;D!
2011-05-10 20:24
chatGPZ

apropos, hearing "omg non public votes are evil" from people who frequently edit and delete their comments just makes me laugh. hard. and then i point fingers and laugh again.
2011-05-10 20:43
Joe

I for one edit or even delete my posts when the language or content gets useless or is far off the line, thinking things over. I even change my votes occasionally, although it might take some time when I see things in a different light of its context. Seriously, is that a laughing matter Groepaz? Be careful with those fingers, we all have to :)
2011-05-10 20:54
Perplex

A couple of ideas on what could make people vote more:

1. Make voting easier/quicker by moving the rating dropdown menu to where the Vote button is now. Select a number in the menu and your vote is cast. As a bonus, your current vote will be immediately visible on the release page, so you can see that you have already voted and whether that vote still reflects your current opinion of the release. The current voting function isn't that arduous, but every little bit counts, especially if we want to make people to go on voting frenzies.

2. When a user logs in, display a link to one (or a few) random release(s) for which the user has not yet submitted a vote. For those of us with long periods of scene inactivity this could also serve as an excellent way of discovering gems we didn't even know about.
2011-05-10 21:03
Wile Coyote

Having seen the source image behind Monroe 6569 has altered my original views. While Digger’s take on the original is proportionally accurate, he has failed somewhat in recreating the sparkle present on Monroe 3000 / Noeeko. The sparkle really makes the original what it is.
2011-05-10 21:04
Joe

Well, I believe the voting system at Bitfellas-Artcity is really nice, you get a random pic of images (may it be demos, tunes, artwork etc on this page for example) and you select a vote graded from 1-10 or change it, just underneath the products snapshot, you can change your mind and you can comment on it, may be that the submitting is deadslow, since they have to acknowledge the piece and possible tags(usually 1 days wait until you see the new stuff - both good and bad). It's a nice layout and very quick whilst being logged in. If you are just browsing, you swing across names, votes and comments without interference.
*Edit oh, and they lack that... The possibility of editing things without shouting to admins :) Haha, CSDb is good. Whiners! Just make sure your things doesn't leak and that you won't GFX-bomb them with fonts :D
Now vote, vote more and... be happy
2011-05-11 00:58
Skate

0.75 * publicVotes + 0.25 * privateVotes = anti-democratic but fairer result

p.s: jk ;)
2011-05-11 01:54
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Not enough people vote, its not 1987 anymore, so just get rid of the vote system completely, and have a UP/DOWN thumb.

On the frontpage, show the entries with most UP thumbs.
For each category.

"Popular demos, popular music, popular etc. etc."

"Hot or not!", End of story.

People will never start to vote more, its over, that was the old days, its a remnant of the old elite thinking.

People will download and watch what they want to, even if its not popular, if they wanna see it. You cant know whats top stuff or not, before you download and run things.

For last Vandalism news votings, reviews, ~25 people voted.
Thats a mag that over 300 read, but people dont care to vote.

So take the consequence.
2011-05-11 01:59
chatGPZ

Quote:
People will never start to vote more, its over, that was the old days, its a remnant of the old elite thinking.

i dont think people voted more in the past. most of the so called "charts" in mags were simply made up, as you should know =)

Quote:
For last Vandalism news votings, reviews, ~25 people voted.
Thats a mag that over 300 read, but people dont care to vote.

i like the "whoever complains about votes will be switched into voting mode until he voted for 100 more productions" idea more and more =)
2011-05-11 08:03
enthusi

Hehe, I'm all against forced vote.
People (well, some) vote based on CSDb linked screendumps already. That's bad enough for gfx but certainly worse for demos ;-)
I hardly vote myself and usually just 9 or 10, to express my OMG! feelings.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mr SQL
Dymo/G★P
Guests online: 96
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)