Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > edit tags?
2007-10-03 16:10
chancer

edit tags?

I'm just curious.. they seem to be displaying them?

or some sort of tags any how, when I re-edited a post.

2007-10-03 16:22
Perff
Administrator

It's a feature in progress. Was working on it and got interrupted, so it's in this half-finished state right now. :)
2007-10-05 07:39
Devia

<Post edited by Devia on 5/10-2007 09:43>

Maybe you should just add a preview function to the posting instead.. Right now people seem to post, edit, re-post. A bit annoying when green text and an edit tag appears in way too many posts where it could have been avoided if a preview function was available.

hehe.. and here we go again.. all this confusion just because I corrected a spelling error.. yeah, yeah, I could just READ my damn post BEFORE submitting, but well.. :P

Preview would be nice!

huh? only the last change gets shown?
- then it makes no sense, since I can remove all colours by doing this?:
2007-10-05 07:44
tlr

I agree, most of my edits are due to preview/adjust. A preview function would be nice.
2007-10-05 10:29
tlr

You [PETins]can[/PETins] also [PETins]use[/PETins] tags [PETins]manually[/PETins].

[PETdel]Hello, world![/PETdel]

([PETins]Quote[/PETins] me [PETins]see[/PETins] the [PETins]hidden[/PETins] phrase!

This may or may not be the intended behaviour.
2007-10-05 10:33
Burglar

Quote: You [PETins]can[/PETins] also [PETins]use[/PETins] tags [PETins]manually[/PETins].

[PETdel]Hello, world![/PETdel]

([PETins]Quote[/PETins] me [PETins]see[/PETins] the [PETins]hidden[/PETins] phrase!

This may or may not be the intended behaviour.

I hope that when the feature is finished, we'll all be able to edit our own posts even when someone else has added a reply to the same thread after your post.
2007-10-05 11:21
Sander

I'd love to do a alternative sulotion for this.
Can be solved much more subtle imho.
2007-10-05 11:25
Oswald

a simple italic for both <text removed> and to indicate new text would work nicely.
2007-10-05 11:50
CreaMD

I think that text removed could displayed in <stroke> tags old text could be in some gray color #c0c0c0 and new text added in #ffffff color.
2007-10-05 11:52
chatGPZ

i vote for heavy use of <blink> !!!

\o/
2007-10-05 12:07
Scout

marquee would absolutely rule if it was implemented \:D/

scrollers in comments and posts...which c64-scener wouldn't like that, eh?
2007-10-05 12:10
Devia

Yes! Implement a C64 emulator and have people CODE their forum-posts \o/

..ok.. getting a bit too off topic here
2007-10-05 12:19
Perff
Administrator

A lot of good sugestions. :)
The preview feature is on the very near todo-list.

About using tags manually, it wasn't supposed to be possible, so I might just rename the tags one day. ;)

Anyway. The green/red thing was just something I made to check it worked.
So what should it be? CreaMD's sugestion, or?

@Devia: Yes, it's only changes since last edit that are currently shown. But a complete history of all edits are stored.
Actually this feature was mainly ment as a way for moderators to censor part of posts instead of always removing the entire post.
It has never been the meaning that people should be able to edit posts. The reason for it being possible to edit your last post if no one had replied on it, was mainly due to the missing preview feature, which should come soon. :)
2007-10-05 12:21
CreaMD

Quote: A lot of good sugestions. :)
The preview feature is on the very near todo-list.

About using tags manually, it wasn't supposed to be possible, so I might just rename the tags one day. ;)

Anyway. The green/red thing was just something I made to check it worked.
So what should it be? CreaMD's sugestion, or?

@Devia: Yes, it's only changes since last edit that are currently shown. But a complete history of all edits are stored.
Actually this feature was mainly ment as a way for moderators to censor part of posts instead of always removing the entire post.
It has never been the meaning that people should be able to edit posts. The reason for it being possible to edit your last post if no one had replied on it, was mainly due to the missing preview feature, which should come soon. :)

Let's test my suggestion and we'll see. <stroke> is used quite often (and it looks kinda cool too ;-))
2007-10-05 12:32
Devia

Well, if users are not supposed to edit their posts in the future, whenever a preview function is available, the chosen solution won't matter much, imho... Then it's only applicable for moderation and thus would probably not become too confusing to look at.
But if users were to edit numerous and various parts of a post, I see the <stroke>, or whatever tag, solution having the potential to become pretty confusing to look at.
2007-10-05 15:39
Yodelking

Quote: Maybe you should just add a preview function to the posting instead.. Right now people seem to post, edit, re-post. A bit annoying when green text and an edit tag appears in way too many posts where it could have been avoided if a preview function was available.

hehe.. and here we go again.. all this confusion just because I corrected a spelling error.. yeah, yeah, I could just READ my damn post BEFORE submitting, but well.. :P

Preview would be nice!

huh? only the last change gets shown?
- then it makes no sense, since I can remove all colours by doing this?:

If you would read your own text in a preview window to make sure you spell everything correct, why not instead read your text before hitting the "Submit" button?
Are ya'll a bit trigger happy? ;)
2007-10-05 18:26
SIDWAVE
Account closed

willpower and re-reading is the key to a successfull post here
2007-10-05 18:50
Hein

This new feature is totally pointless and lame. Get rid of it or die. [edited][text removed] never seen this anywhere, probably for a good reason.
2007-10-05 19:13
CreaMD

Quote: This new feature is totally pointless and lame. Get rid of it or die. [edited][text removed] never seen this anywhere, probably for a good reason.

Let's hope it will be used wisely.
2007-10-05 19:44
cadaver

The feature would be significant, if you could edit your posts after others reply, and if you are a dramaqueen who likes to edit own messages defensively to nullify another's "attack". But considering you can't, and there shouldn't be much dramaqueens left here now, it kind of seems unnecessary...
2007-10-05 20:11
TDJ

<Post edited by TDJ on 5/10-2007 22:17>

Bullshit. Utter and utter bullshit. I always check my posts (even though I still make the occasional typing error) but sometimes I press submit, read it back and then think of a better, more 'flowing' way to say what I wanted to say. And in the future I couldn't even change that?

Well, simply put: if that feature is implemented I'll stop posting here.

Stop [[PETIns]b][[/PETIns]u]cheer[/u]ing[/b] you fools, that's a bad thing!
2007-10-05 20:27
Perff
Administrator

<Post edited by Perff on 5/10-2007 22:47>

It's my oppinion that you in general should NOT be able to edit your post, when it's first posted. If anyone could edit any (or just their own) posts at any time, any forum discussion would have no value.
Users have been able to edit their last post in a thread as long as noone have replied on them yet in case they made a typo, regreted what they posted just after they hit submit, or other reasons. Because no one have replied on them yet, no historical info could be lost, so I think that is ok.

What happened now, is that the moderators have wanted some additional way to censor posts other than just delete the entire post as it was before. They wanted to be able to edit any post, and thereby remove offensive words or whatever, and still leave the rest of the post untouched. Of cause this should only be possible is their changes was logged, so this was what I made. A loggin system of changes when people (moderators) edit posts.
As a side effect, it is also shown when people edit their own posts a few minutes after they posted it. Actually I have thought about disabling the log on such cases.
I also (finally) implemented the preview feature, so perhaps this edit option should be disabled completly? (for normal users)

Hope I made it all clear. :)
2007-10-05 20:34
TDJ

<Post edited by TDJ on 5/10-2007 22:36>

So, to be clear:

The moderators should be able to edit somebody's posts, and those changes should be visible. Now, since those changes also are visible if 'normal users' edit their stuff, the answer is not to find a new solution but to disable the possibility for users to edit their posts at all.

This might just be the lamest thing I've heard a moderator propose. And I heard a lot of lame stuff through the years.

Your reason to take functionality away from the users is completely wrong. So let me be serious for once: if you do this, I'll stop posting and I hope a lot of other people will do the same.
2007-10-05 20:38
CreaMD

Quote: It's my oppinion that you in general should NOT be able to edit your post, when it's first posted. If anyone could edit any (or just their own) posts at any time, any forum discussion would have no value.
Users have been able to edit their last post in a thread as long as noone have replied on them yet in case they made a typo, regreted what they posted just after they hit submit, or other reasons. Because no one have replied on them yet, no historical info could be lost, so I think that is ok.

What happened now, is that the moderators have wanted some additional way to censor posts other than just delete the entire post as it was before. They wanted to be able to edit any post, and thereby remove offensive words or whatever, and still leave the rest of the post untouched. Of cause this should only be possible is their changes was logged, so this was what I made. A loggin system of changes when people (moderators) edit posts.
As a side effect, it is also shown when people edit their own posts a few minutes after they posted it. Actually I have thought about disabling the log on such cases.
I also (finally) implemented the preview feature, so perhaps this edit option should be disabled completly? (for normal users)

Hope I made it all clear. :)

Yes. It could be good to disable logs when editing my own post which didn't have any reply yet. I'm also used to rephrase myself heavily and I can understand why TDJ doesn't like the idea of having "count of edits" when editing the last post.

As far as editing of posts is concerned I would like to put this entry into the captain's log. <i>It wasn't my idea</i>. I would live hapily with "CENSOR" button and think "SUIT YOURSELVES" everytime when soemeone posts something valuable mixed with something that makes mods "triggerhappy" (as gpz would say). ;-) Anywyay I can understand that sometimes some really good stuff can be saved/cleaned by editing. just I don't see point in having "logs" and actual edits visible publicly. That drags too much attention tomoderation and less attention to actual subject of debates (whatever they are). The less visible the moderation is the better. (that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been logged and watched over /evaluated and eventually reversed by other mods, admins whatever)
2007-10-05 20:38
Hein

Moderation is done in the background, not in the foreground. Edits are stored in the database anyway. That's background stuff I really don't want to know, but if a moderator wants to datamine his way through typos and swearwords and wave his finger of disapproval, be my guest.
2007-10-05 20:40
CreaMD

Quote: So, to be clear:

The moderators should be able to edit somebody's posts, and those changes should be visible. Now, since those changes also are visible if 'normal users' edit their stuff, the answer is not to find a new solution but to disable the possibility for users to edit their posts at all.

This might just be the lamest thing I've heard a moderator propose. And I heard a lot of lame stuff through the years.

Your reason to take functionality away from the users is completely wrong. So let me be serious for once: if you do this, I'll stop posting and I hope a lot of other people will do the same.

TDJ, relax. It will sort out. ;-)
2007-10-05 20:40
CreaMD

Quote: Moderation is done in the background, not in the foreground. Edits are stored in the database anyway. That's background stuff I really don't want to know, but if a moderator wants to datamine his way through typos and swearwords and wave his finger of disapproval, be my guest.

Exactly my point.
2007-10-05 20:42
Hein

oh, I clicked the preview button and clicked edit. Now my preview comment is posted. :)
2007-10-05 20:43
CreaMD

HEheh ;-) Yep it seems preview is being added right now ;-)
2007-10-05 20:44
Perff
Administrator

Loggin of own latest posts has now been disabled.
Next step. Make it invisible to normal users what a moderator might have edited from a given post??
2007-10-05 20:46
Perff
Administrator

Quote: oh, I clicked the preview button and clicked edit. Now my preview comment is posted. :)

Is there a bug with the preview feature?
2007-10-05 20:48
CreaMD

Quote: Loggin of own latest posts has now been disabled.
Next step. Make it invisible to normal users what a moderator might have edited from a given post??

yep that would look more natural for reading. I mean..

Moderator will edit the post.
Moderators will see what was edited and link to the logs.

Users will just see the post and very small note somehwere (almost invisible) post edited by moderator. (and maybe even THAT shouldn't be visible) ;-) Everytime some thread disappears, is logged etc. provokes questions. This can be the same case. Someone might ask. What was edited?? Etc.. and we will have "merry-go-round" about moderation again ;-))

P.S.: I seriously think that moderator editing shouldn't be used too often! It's much better to censor the whole post and more or less educate people not to post crap than "adjusting" their crap to look better.
2007-10-05 21:12
Perff
Administrator

Phew. Busy night. :(
Now everything is (almost) back to normal.
1. If someone edit their last post, nothing will be logged.
2. Normal users can't se what have been changed by mods. Still can see that it has been altered. Will perhaps change that also.

Bedtime. :)
2007-10-05 21:33
CreaMD

Quote: Phew. Busy night. :(
Now everything is (almost) back to normal.
1. If someone edit their last post, nothing will be logged.
2. Normal users can't se what have been changed by mods. Still can see that it has been altered. Will perhaps change that also.

Bedtime. :)

Have a nice nite and weekend man ;-)
2007-10-05 21:45
Hein

It's starting to get confusing. Not that I want to pick on the work of Perff and others, but how is it implemented now?

I make a crap post, moderator edits it, I see it's edited but other users don't see?
2007-10-05 21:54
Perff
Administrator

Won't do much good trying to explain how it is right now, as it will change in some way, but anyway - here goes.
Normal users can edit their post as always and nothing is logged.
If a moderator edits something, it will be logged, and everyone can see that someone (a moderator) edited the post. This perhaps shouldn't be displayed - or perhaps only for the one who posted it, or??????
Normal users can't see what was changed. Only mods can do that, and they can also see a complete edit-history.

However there is all the posts which was already logged etc. I should clean those up when I get around to it.
2007-10-06 08:15
CreaMD

test of preview button

yeah! success!!
2007-10-06 09:36
Oswald

Quote: yep that would look more natural for reading. I mean..

Moderator will edit the post.
Moderators will see what was edited and link to the logs.

Users will just see the post and very small note somehwere (almost invisible) post edited by moderator. (and maybe even THAT shouldn't be visible) ;-) Everytime some thread disappears, is logged etc. provokes questions. This can be the same case. Someone might ask. What was edited?? Etc.. and we will have "merry-go-round" about moderation again ;-))

P.S.: I seriously think that moderator editing shouldn't be used too often! It's much better to censor the whole post and more or less educate people not to post crap than "adjusting" their crap to look better.

"Everytime some thread disappears, is logged etc. provokes questions."

a thread because the question put up in it is solved should be never deleted. if you do it that will naturally provoke questions.
2007-10-06 16:36
CreaMD

Quote: "Everytime some thread disappears, is logged etc. provokes questions."

a thread because the question put up in it is solved should be never deleted. if you do it that will naturally provoke questions.

I mean more like... everytime when there stays some "sign" of moderation it provokes curiosity.
2007-10-06 17:22
TDJ

"Everytime some thread disappears, a kitten dies"
2007-10-06 17:37
Oswald

:D that, and ceiling cat is watching ;)
2007-10-06 17:49
CreaMD

Quote: "Everytime some thread disappears, a kitten dies"

my karma is ok. .I never made any thread disappear.. although I must confess that I made few posts disappear.. *a cheshire cat grin*
2007-10-07 04:26
chatGPZ

infact noone made a thread disappear, ever, because it can't be done. and to be honest, i wish it could =P
2007-10-07 07:04
Oswald

its pointless to redefine 'disappear'. I meant those where you deleted all posts and closed the topic without any reason. also even if you could do it, dont think noone will notice it.
2007-10-08 11:29
Devia

Quote: If you would read your own text in a preview window to make sure you spell everything correct, why not instead read your text before hitting the "Submit" button?
Are ya'll a bit trigger happy? ;)

I'm old and blind.. Somehow no matter how many times I read a post before submitting, the errors magically appear AFTER hitting submit. :(

hm.. and this great preview now shows me the quote below my post.. confusing, but that's for another topic ;-)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
sebalozlepsi
Herrera64
DKT/Samar
Black Beard