Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > New release type
2007-12-12 08:29
Oswald

New release type

Just a random idea, how about having a "release group" release type, whose role would be to group together releases which are related on a basis that is not possible to express with the current rules. (fex. same coder, same group etc) For example this would make it possible to link together, and view in a timeline dycp record demos, or demos that are response to each other (hcl&crossbows kefrens bar demos pop in mind), war demos against a certain group, etc.
2007-12-12 10:15
Devia

Do you mean like TAGGING releases with tags like "Fuckings Demo", "X-Mas Demo", "FLD", "ESCOS" etc. with optional sub-tags for each TAG like links to the groups being "Fucked" or the Year for the X-Mas or part number for the effect or even key attributes of the effects?
This would require key understanding of the effects and people might need to agree on how certain attributes should be identified, counted or measured otherwise.
2007-12-12 10:39
Oswald

nope, this is not about new tags, this is about collecting releases in one bag, where the relation type is undefined. you put into the bag whatever you like to.

so fex. one could create a "devia's favourite demos" 'release group' and add whatever releases he likes to. or one could make a 'realese group' named "demos with the coolest filled vector effects", etc. the possibilities are endless, and browsing this type of collections would be fun.

edit: or how about a 'release group' named "demos that invented a new effect", and here could be collected stuff like first fpp, fli,sideborder, etc. maybe "release type" was a bad definiton for all this.
2007-12-12 11:32
Steppe

I like the idea a lot! Not really sure about how to implement something like this.
2007-12-12 11:42
TDJ

Quote: I like the idea a lot! Not really sure about how to implement something like this.

Ehm, the more I think about it, the more I agree with Devia: tags. Maybe a predefined list of them, but tags would do the trick I think.

If you think a demo has a cool filled vector effect, tag it with "demos with the coolest filled vector effects".

C'est simple.
2007-12-12 11:50
Oswald

simple from the DB viewpont indeed, but the user would have to request a new tag if he wants to start a new 'group', also browsing would be awkward, these 'groups' would be only accessible through the advanced search function.
2007-12-12 11:55
TDJ

The whole idea of tags normally is that you can add a new one if you like, so no requesting involved.

As for the search functionality, it would have to be changed to include tags I guess.

I get where you're going at, but in my opinion it's never a good idea to 'abuse' what already is there (like in this case the release-type) if there's a far more elegant solution available. It will only lead to an even more convoluted system.
2007-12-12 12:09
Oswald

excuse me my ignorance, but tags are not implemented yet? it would be nice to have them for this kind of matter. I'd like to see a screen to browse/add tags, instead of having them hidden in a drop down list in the advanced search function tho.
2007-12-12 12:13
Perff
Administrator

I hear this is going the tag-way?
So adding the possibility to tag releases with one or more tags, either from a dropdown/multiselector and the addidional option to add new tags. or?
How to search tags we'll find out.

Only thing is that we need some basic rules on which kind of tags is allowed, or else we will soon have so many tags that it makes no sense.
2007-12-12 12:19
Devia

Hm.. then how about "simply" adding a function to create "Release Collections" and have these collections bound to the users profile with the option of making each users personal "Release Collection" public for the enjoyment of others?
I must admit I kinda like the idea of having a "Devia's Favorite Demos" collection and the possibility to share MY favorite demos with others.
2007-12-12 12:21
Devia

Sounds like 2 new features are requested here.. the public tag-thingy and the personal collection with share options feature.
2007-12-12 12:22
TDJ

Quote: Hm.. then how about "simply" adding a function to create "Release Collections" and have these collections bound to the users profile with the option of making each users personal "Release Collection" public for the enjoyment of others?
I must admit I kinda like the idea of having a "Devia's Favorite Demos" collection and the possibility to share MY favorite demos with others.

+1. This is what I miss most in csdb: the possibility to check other people's favourites. Even being able to see somebody else's public votes would help ;)
2007-12-12 12:31
Mace

Very nice idea, Oswald, but I see problems with implementing it. Or rather, with using it.

What could happen, imho, is that you make a 'set' called "coolest filled vector demos" and I make a set called "hottest filled vector demos".

See where I'm going...?

How on Earth can we keep track of this?
How can we prevend this from exploding into the wildest collections of releases?
2007-12-12 12:31
Oswald

I dont like the idea of having strict rules, or predefined tags. Be it the 'tag' method, or another solution, I'd prefer having freedom in defining such 'collections'. Ofcourse rubbish should be deleted, but I wouldnt like to see rules like "collecting this kind of stuff is forbidden". How about restricting the number of 'tags' per user, and unlimited number to moderators/admins?

Bounding such 'collections'/'tags' to users is an extension of this idea which I like, but in this case browsing these shouldnt be strictly connected to user profiles.

a dropdown/multiselector in the release-edit page would work. or in case of many tags a search function like when selecting a profile.
2007-12-12 12:41
Oswald

Mace, I had to think a lot on this, though one, I came up with this:

- strictly connect collections/tags to users, each user can only edit his stuff, and it should be obvious that a collection/tag represents the choices of a certain person

2007-12-12 12:42
Mace

Perhaps it could be organised a bit like a forum thread.

Someone can 'open' a collection with a certain title and set this collection to 'open' or 'closed'.
'Open' means everybody can attach releases to the collection, 'closed' means only the original starter can attach releases.
2007-12-12 12:48
Perff
Administrator

I like most of the ideas here. :)
Just a question. Would it make sense to attach tags to other than releases? Perhaps even the same set of tags, or should it be strictly type-based tags?
Also the idea about private tags would solve the problem about ones favorite demos etc.
So my first thought is that when creating a new tag you need the following info:
- Tag name
- Private or Public tag.
- Type of tag. Can it be attached to releases only, or what?

Edit: We still need to avoid the situation where we get a lot of different tags that are basically the same as Mace mentioned
2007-12-12 12:54
Mace

Perff, nice thinking... Indeed, why only tag releases?
I might be interested in tagging my favourite coders...
2007-12-12 13:07
Oswald

- Tag name
- Private or Public tag.
- Type of tag. (restricted to some relesetype, or unrestricted)

some rules, from the top of my head:

- tag properties should only be changeable by creator / mods
- a new tag should be reviewed by mods, and only allow if a similar _public_ does not exist / makes enough sense.
2007-12-12 13:30
chatGPZ

Quote:
else we will soon have so many tags that it makes no sense.

isn't that the whole idea of that web2.0 tagging BS ?
2007-12-12 19:00
A3

Speaking of relase types how about these 3 release types that are rare but do exist:

demo collection
intro collection and
game collection.
2007-12-12 21:30
null
Account closed

and I still can't vote scout as best fullscreen musician D:

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
bugjam
LightSide
csabanw
Thunder.Bird/HF/MYD!..
stephan-a