Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Was the SID designed with replay of digitised samples via $d418 in mind?
2016-08-23 07:09
Krill

Was the SID designed with replay of digitised samples via $d418 in mind?

Reading the comments to Flash for Fantasy with remarks such as
Quoting Rudi
I remember the first time i heard this. I was totally impressed by the fact that the C64 could play digitized samples.
and
Quoting DivertigO
I used to have dreams in the 80s that my computer could display or play things that were a technical impossibility. Hearing this for the first time felt surreal.
i again wondered whether this was an actual "invention" or "discovery" at some time or known right from the start (at least by its creator).

Referring to the authorities:

Quoting Bob Yannes himself
The final amp was a 4-bit multiplying D/A converter which allowed the volume of the output signal to be controlled. By stopping an Oscillator, it was possible to apply a DC voltage to this D/A. Audio could then be created by having the microprocessor write the Final Volume register in real-time. Game programs often used this method to synthesize speech or play "sampled" sounds.
Quoting SID 6581 datasheet
Bits 0-3 (VOL0-VOL3) select 1 of 16 overall Volume levels for the final composite audio output. The output volume levels range from no output (0) to maximum volume (15 or #F) in 16 linear steps. This control can be used as a static volume control for balancing levels in multi-chip systems or for creating dynamic volume effects, such as Tremolo. Some Volume level other than zero must be selected in order for SID to produce any sound.
Now, Mr Yannes makes it sound as if sample replay via $d418 was indeed a feature designed by him, but he remains inexplicit. The 6581 datasheet mentions no such thing, and with 8580, sample replay as used thus far broke due to "bug fixes" (was Bob Yannes still involved or did other engineers strictly adhere to some spec not mentioning sample replay?).

A related question is when the first program to play 4-bit samples surfaced, and who made it.
2016-08-23 07:15
JackAsser

Quote: Reading the comments to Flash for Fantasy with remarks such as
Quoting Rudi
I remember the first time i heard this. I was totally impressed by the fact that the C64 could play digitized samples.
and
Quoting DivertigO
I used to have dreams in the 80s that my computer could display or play things that were a technical impossibility. Hearing this for the first time felt surreal.
i again wondered whether this was an actual "invention" or "discovery" at some time or known right from the start (at least by its creator).

Referring to the authorities:

Quoting Bob Yannes himself
The final amp was a 4-bit multiplying D/A converter which allowed the volume of the output signal to be controlled. By stopping an Oscillator, it was possible to apply a DC voltage to this D/A. Audio could then be created by having the microprocessor write the Final Volume register in real-time. Game programs often used this method to synthesize speech or play "sampled" sounds.
Quoting SID 6581 datasheet
Bits 0-3 (VOL0-VOL3) select 1 of 16 overall Volume levels for the final composite audio output. The output volume levels range from no output (0) to maximum volume (15 or #F) in 16 linear steps. This control can be used as a static volume control for balancing levels in multi-chip systems or for creating dynamic volume effects, such as Tremolo. Some Volume level other than zero must be selected in order for SID to produce any sound.
Now, Mr Yannes makes it sound as if sample replay via $d418 was indeed a feature designed by him, but he remains inexplicit. The 6581 datasheet mentions no such thing, and with 8580, sample replay as used thus far broke due to "bug fixes" (was Bob Yannes still involved or did other engineers strictly adhere to some spec not mentioning sample replay?).

A related question is when the first program to play 4-bit samples surfaced, and who made it.

No, I would say no. Changing master volume shouldn't affect the DC level (that was a bug), but it did on the old SID. This was fixed in the new SID, hence $d418 samples are in-audible there. Master volume should really only scale the AC levels right?
2016-08-23 07:19
Oswald

no.
2016-08-23 07:20
Oswald

"This was fixed in the new SID, hence $d418 samples are in-audible there."

not completely tho. it still there quietly.
2016-08-23 07:22
Krill

Quoting JackAsser
No, I would say no. Changing master volume shouldn't affect the DC level (that was a bug), but it did on the old SID. This was fixed in the new SID, hence $d418 samples are in-audible there. Master volume should really only scale the AC levels right?
"Should." :) Still, master volume is usually set exactly once, before any sound is played. "Repurposing" it for sample replay via continuous updates is an ingenius idea, if it actually was one.

Now, 8580 broke that, as it is known, and i really wonder how that happened. Well-known commercial programs (popular games) had been using it for a while already. Were the engineers living under a rock?
2016-08-23 09:24
algorithm

d418 samples on the 8580 can be audible dependent on the waveforms/frequency currently active. For example Exploding Fist and Mega Apocalypse are some examples where d418 samples can be loud on some occasions.
2016-08-23 09:38
Zer0-X

I recall seeing a video from Bil Herd where he mentions that 8580 was redesigned by some other engineer (not sure if he told the name) after Yannes had been long gone from C= already.
2016-08-23 09:56
Mixer

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Commodore/ds_6581.pdf

The datasheet mentions about testbit that: "it can be used to create highly complex waveforms under software control."

Which is true.

The "earliest 4-bit samples" has been addressed in some old forum thread, imho.
2016-08-23 21:57
Jammer

Quoting Krill
Were the engineers living under a rock?

Well, we can only thank engineers that they removed that nasty popping ;) Samples in games were marginal case and regular sidmakers only gained from that fact ;) All in all, we have far greater sample replayer nowadays so I don't cry that much over crappy d418 ;)
2016-08-24 08:19
Oswald

"Were the engineers living under a rock?"

if you have read "on the edge" you'll know most of them did :)
2016-08-24 15:16
Krill

Oswald: Care to quote or recap? :)

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
stephan-a
Broti/DT/KRN
Guests online: 171
Top Demos