Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > gamers v sceners
2003-01-16 00:33
smila
Account closed

gamers v sceners

2003-01-16 00:42
smila
Account closed

oops..hehe

there's seems to be a lot of us v them kinda thing on at the moment.

after a lot of thought i realise that for gamers the c64 is a memory....nice thoughts from our childhood 8-), and iam one them .. even tho i thought i wasnt.

and for you guys it aint dead... the c64 is still alive and you produce demos to prove it.

well hats off to ya all, you keep it going.
iam trying to get back into c64 gfx again but christ its so difficult to work with so many restraints.
and i have the upmost respect for you blokes.

ive just downloaded a load of new demo's.....class.

it's great to get new programs still for this class machine.

8-)
2003-01-16 00:47
cadaver

hehe.. and to me 160x200x16 is a huge feeling of freedom & security at the same time; VGA or higher feels very scary (because the only thing I can do well, gfx-wise, is handpixeling :))
2003-01-16 00:51
smila
Account closed

iam so glad i had my mad rantings....
(doesnt rant mean fart hmmm.)
ive found out there's so much great stuff thats new to download.
its bizzare what you forget, i did c64 gfx for so long, and it's really difficult to learn it all over again.
2003-01-16 01:34
Deev

I guess maybe this will also help you see the added dimension to demos you can get as an active scener. When you do something yourself, you can appreciate more the works of others. I know speaking as a graphcian, when I see a picture I like, I look closer than the overall view. I see how a certain effect has been created using certain colours and can appreciate the skills of the pixeller. Some people do things in a way I would never have thought of and I have lots of admiration for this. It also helps me learn and hopefully improve my own stuff.
2003-01-16 01:42
smila
Account closed

in full agrement there.

stippling used to be the bain of my life but now i find it most creative.

hoorah for limited pals.8-)
2003-01-16 01:57
Warbaby
Account closed

Gamers are ok as long as they don't disrespect creative sceners.
People who make demos spend alot of of time and energy on it.
They deserve more respect than they usually get.
Keyword = RESPECT.
2003-01-16 02:17
smila
Account closed

i think maybe people (including me at first)
get a bit pee'd at some people on this and many other similar sites when they first arrive.
it's such a close community here and to be honest you only get respect if you treat people with respect.
but now ive got to know some of you a bit better i understand why your tolerance for certian individuals is so low.
i'd probably get pissed off if some newby arrived saying what your doing is a waste of time and gaming is better.

i know doing c64 "related" stuff isnt really keeping the c64 alive but it's something i love to do and in a very small way it brings new interest to the scene.

not the same as what you lot do i know but maybe it helps bring in new people.

waddya think?

2003-01-16 07:27
Pater Pi
Account closed

Agreed.
I would never have found my way back to the c64 if i wouldn't be for game and retro-pages, where some of them (mainly over the forum) then showed me that there was still something happening.
I think that some of the retro-stuff could make people interested in c64 or make them fall for it again.

One of the strong reactions against retro and gamers - just a guess of mine - is the kind of hipe of the 80ys and partly of old computers (although the computer-thing is lowering again) by media without really knowing what they are talking about.

Another one is ofcourse the fear that people would concentrate more on memory then on the present.

2003-01-16 07:37
Puterman
Account closed

Quote: Gamers are ok as long as they don't disrespect creative sceners.
Keyword = RESPECT.

Why write something like that in a scene forum? No one's going to take much notice, although some may say "Yes!" aloud while reading it and fall deeper into narcissism.

And saying about people that they are "ok" as long as they fulfill some arbitrary requirement that you decide is pretty revolting.
2003-01-16 08:52
CreaMD

Quote: Gamers are ok as long as they don't disrespect creative sceners.
Keyword = RESPECT.

Yes Puterman is right. The respect should be a natural part of everyone of us, noone needs RESPECT with big letters. Saying Keyword = RESPECT, etc. it sounds so funny or even naive. I don't think what we do is saving a world. It's just (mostly) done for our amusement, so I wouldn't be so strict with that claim for respect at least from general population. Some tolerance, and maybe awareness of the existence of the scene could be enough ;-).

Internally, the keyword sometimes = RESPECT but let's leave that for thread labelled Sceners vs Sceners ;-))))

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
sln.pixelrat
DjS/Silicon Ltd
Alakran_64
Smasher/F4CG
The Human Co../Maste..
Guests online: 113