Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Active Sceners
2002-03-11 22:32
The Overkiller
Account closed

Active Sceners

Hi there,

I'm preparing a list of all active Sceners for the next issue of the mag Scene World. If you want to be in, just contact me via e-mail.

Regardz
The Overkiller / Hokuto Force
hokutoforce@telemail.it
2002-04-08 20:27
Richard

Well, I'm an active scener at TND+Civitas. A new game has been mailed to you :)
2002-04-08 22:24
The Overkiller
Account closed

You're already in the list Richo ;)

2002-04-09 14:15
Axodry
Account closed

Hi i am back into the scene after 7 years , and getting active again i am in the group Slash Design and there will be a demo released soon called Visual Act that's contain graphics from me, i thougt i write
2002-04-09 17:06
CreaMD

Hi Axodry, welcome back in the c64 scene. Have a good time.

Roman
2002-04-10 09:59
Jak T Rip

Hi there!

I am active ;-)
How would you create a list of ALL active sceners? That is a lot!

Axodry! It's great you and Slash are back!
If you need anything (tools, advice..) and you think I might be able to
help, mail me!

Jak T Rip (active in DMAgic and Protovision, sometimes active in the Stock)

2002-04-10 16:45
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I'm fairly active. :) It's just that I'm not doing demos. Right now, I'm working on publishing a Commodore 8-bit oriented newsletter.

I hope to return to GEOS/Wheels coding soon afterwards. *gasp!* Productivity in 2002? :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2002-04-13 08:38
Stryyker

I suggest you check some group sites, disk mags and the major spreaders. I would not expect people to give you big lists as that would mean they are doing the work, not you. This list will never be 100% and is a very big effort.
2002-04-14 13:23
The Overkiller
Account closed

Excuse me Strykker but I disagree .... I wanna contact personally all the Sceners 'coz I respect their privacy as I ain't 100% sure they'd join in that list. It'd more fast for me to add random ppl address in the list but I prefer my method.

Regardz
The Overkiller
2002-04-14 16:14
Nafcom

Hello there!

I agree with The Overkiller!

Privacy is very important also to keep the list actual and right. How to know if the info of addy corners are right and how old that info is?! Silvio isn't able to control that, so that's another good reason to ask everybody personally!

I like his ideas and his work for "Scene World" mag, and our destination is, to bring people closer together!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-14 19:44
CreaMD

Quote: Excuse me Strykker but I disagree .... I wanna contact personally all the Sceners 'coz I respect their privacy as I ain't 100% sure they'd join in that list. It'd more fast for me to add random ppl address in the list but I prefer my method.

Regardz
The Overkiller

How about, instead of asking us, if we are active, contact some of us, ask questions, discuss, debate, whatever.
2002-04-14 22:14
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: How about, instead of asking us, if we are active, contact some of us, ask questions, discuss, debate, whatever.

Hi CreaMD,

the point is that I've this job in the mag, as you can see I like take part in various forum. I like to debate, discuss and whatever but I need to compile this list for my mag Scene World also ....

Regardz
The Overkiller
2002-04-15 00:00
Stryyker

Did I say add them from them sources? No! It gives a list and you could contact them. Not everyone has access to this forum, many don't even have net access. Like so many, read the words and don't make meanings that are not actually 100% to the words.
2002-04-15 07:58
CreaMD

Quote: How about, instead of asking us, if we are active, contact some of us, ask questions, discuss, debate, whatever.

Of course, I knew that you are a Scene World editor, but it doesn't matter for what purpose you want your list. I wanted to suggets that you should play an active role creating of that list. Everyone has other more more-or-less important things to do than working on someone's elses projects. Take the responsibility for your own tasks and projects and don't waste the time explaining that you want to do it this or that way. Especially don't answer on this or Stryykers provocative post ;-). Instead of that step on it and start to work.
2002-04-15 11:43
Stryyker

Me provocative? Never :)
2002-04-15 22:19
The Overkiller
Account closed

Well, I think this isn't only a work for others but also for me, get in contact with other Sceners give me the opportunity to create a friendship before all the rest. Anyway I accept any kind of suggestions to improve my work, so thanx Roman :)

Regardz
2002-04-16 17:07
Pater Pi
Account closed

hi,
what do you want to have in your list anyway? just the nicks of the active people or more?
anyway, you are free to ad me to that list too

pi
2002-04-16 18:07
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: hi,
what do you want to have in your list anyway? just the nicks of the active people or more?
anyway, you are free to ad me to that list too

pi

Ok, here's the schedule to compile. For all those who wants to be in the list, send it back to my e-mail address:
hokutoforce@telemail.it
------------------------------------------------------------

Handle :
Group(s) :
PAL / NTSC :
Snail mail : (we appreciate if you fill it :-) )
E-Mail(s) :
Instant messanger(s) ICQ, AIM, Y!, etc.):
Website(s) :
Skill(s) :

About the skill I suggest to add some news , so over the normal ones just as : group leader , coder , cracker , grafix , music , swapping , supplier etc.... so we could consider as new skills :

Webmaster : (only C64 sites)
Collector : a sceners who collect c64 stuff saving and sharing them to the rest of the c64 community
Converter : a scener able to convert the original warez into any type of files for the emulators.

I'd like to introduce these new skills for a simply reason : the radical changes in the scene from the past years and the new innovations of technology and internet.

The Overkiller
2002-04-16 18:07
zyruz
Account closed

well, ain't we all active, somehow? .. i mean, not releasing a demo,crack or whatever else doesn't mean "inactive" to me.. even if i haven't done anything on the c64 for 5 years, i am still a part of this scene anyway. ;)

..as you can see... *rofl*
2002-04-16 20:59
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: well, ain't we all active, somehow? .. i mean, not releasing a demo,crack or whatever else doesn't mean "inactive" to me.. even if i haven't done anything on the c64 for 5 years, i am still a part of this scene anyway. ;)

..as you can see... *rofl*

I'm not here to judge who's active of course. If you think to be active in any way feel free to join the list :)

Regardz
2002-04-17 08:28
zyruz
Account closed

nah, i'm just curious about the sense of making such a list.. is that what people really wants to read in a magazine? ...i think there's much more important things to talk about, than listing "active" sceners .. hehe .. ;)
2002-04-17 08:44
Vai

I don't see a real point in adding a list of active sceners in a mag. It would only be a disk filler :)
Anyway, sended you an email. Slash design returned from their ashes, irritate not innovate ;) that's the kind of news people want to read in magazins :) a new demo is in progress at the moment. Current member status: Axe, Poeba, Celtic, WVL, Axodry and Vai (me).
2002-04-17 09:13
TDJ

Vai, to be honest, the return of Slash Designs is not something *I* want to read in a magazine :) I'd rather read good articles like the ones in Vandalism News, but that's just me.

Staying on topic: in Focus nobody is active, we just act like we are.
2002-04-17 09:43
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Vai, to be honest, the return of Slash Designs is not something *I* want to read in a magazine :) I'd rather read good articles like the ones in Vandalism News, but that's just me.

We in Cosine have always had a problem with the definition of the word "active"; me and 4-Mat "officially" awake, a few others sort of stirring and a couple of products on the go.
2002-04-17 09:49
Vai

Quote: Vai, to be honest, the return of Slash Designs is not something *I* want to read in a magazine :) I'd rather read good articles like the ones in Vandalism News, but that's just me.

:)

But it might be more interesting than reading a list of *active* sceners :)
2002-04-20 19:19
Nafcom

Well, the "Active Sceners List" got good reactions from the readership, so I think the list is good and it's an interesting thing - surely not for everybody - but there are people who really use the list to get some info, etc.

And it's surely (be sure 100%) more than "only" a diskfiller!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-20 21:28
TDJ

I used to compile such lists for the Driven magazine. All I know is that they give a false sense of scene-activity.

The real activity of the scene can be read by the products released, not by the number of people claiming to be working on something.

But hey, who am I to stop fooling yourself? :)
2002-04-20 22:47
CreaMD

Quote: I used to compile such lists for the Driven magazine. All I know is that they give a false sense of scene-activity.

The real activity of the scene can be read by the products released, not by the number of people claiming to be working on something.

Or as some wise dude said...

Don't talk... Kiss.
2002-04-21 21:15
The Overkiller
Account closed

I don't really understand all this "scandal" about the list.... If you don't find it interesting just ignore it, but are all of you 100% sure that it doesn't might interest to someone ??? C'mon , be sincere !!!!

The Overkiller/HF/P.o.L
2002-04-21 23:21
Matt

Hehe,
that reminds me of a project I did over ten years ago.
I wanted to collect a list of all active sceners. I gave up the hunt, but at some point, the counter reached more than 2500 (!) active sceners!
Boy, those were the days!
Well, enough of that nostalgic crap. I'm really pleased to see there's still plenty of interest for that dusty old computer we all adore, ain't that fantastic?

Good luck on the project mate, keep us informed will ya?
2002-04-22 06:08
Stryyker

Well, I had issue with it's not you chasing but you waiting for everyone. Not everyone will check this. The other issue is the term active. Am I active because I say I am? Am I active because I am participating in this discussion?
2002-04-22 06:34
Puterman
Account closed

A good news section in Scene World would be much better than a list of active sceners. Or an improved charset. Or charts where you've sorted out the people who haven't done anything in 5 years or more.
2002-04-22 08:25
zyruz
Account closed

Quote: I used to compile such lists for the Driven magazine. All I know is that they give a false sense of scene-activity.

...there's nothing more to say!
2002-04-22 22:37
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Hehe,
that reminds me of a project I did over ten years ago.
I wanted to collect a list of all active sceners. I gave up the hunt, but at some point, the counter reached more than 2500 (!) active sceners!
Boy, those were the days!
Well, enough of that nostalgic crap. I'm really pleased to see there's still plenty of interest for that dusty old computer we all adore, ain't that fantastic?

Good luck on the project mate, keep us informed will ya?

I'm still receiving a lot of entries, so you can find a very huge list on the #4 issue of Scene World, 'cos the issue 3 is near to be closed and ready to go out for the masses.

The Overkiller
2002-04-22 22:41
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Well, I had issue with it's not you chasing but you waiting for everyone. Not everyone will check this. The other issue is the term active. Am I active because I say I am? Am I active because I am participating in this discussion?

Of course I can't find ALL the active sceners, that's impossible, so I choose this way to operate and if it ain't the best one , who care? Nobody is perfect....

-Am I active because I say I am? Am I active because I am participating in this discussion?
Judge by yourself !!!!!

The Overkiller
2002-04-22 22:45
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: A good news section in Scene World would be much better than a list of active sceners. Or an improved charset. Or charts where you've sorted out the people who haven't done anything in 5 years or more.

Ok, but you gotta talk to Nafcom about that, I ain't the organizer of SWO!!!

The Overkiller
2002-04-22 22:53
The Overkiller
Account closed

I partially agree 'cos I think it doesn't give a false sense to the scene. But I'm happy to know you had be fooled in the past for your work in Driven mag ;-) C'mon let's do our best for the Scene in harmony.

The Overkiller
2002-04-23 07:40
TDJ

Well, there was a small difference: I wasn't working on an extensive list of active sceners ('coz that my friend is real nonsense), but I had an article about demo groups who were planning new productions. Ofcourse most of those were never released ..

And as for the 'Scene in harmony': fuck that, never has been that way and should never be that way :)
2002-04-23 11:54
Stryyker

Some people some ideal idea of the scene where everything is perfect, everyone is friendly and everyone agrees on everything. Too bad they don't notice the reality.
2002-04-23 12:25
Celtic
Administrator

bla bla bla bla bla... some people take this scene a little to serious.. That's what I think!

Celtic!
2002-04-23 16:19
Commander
Account closed

Quote: I partially agree 'cos I think it doesn't give a false sense to the scene. But I'm happy to know you had be fooled in the past for your work in Driven mag ;-) C'mon let's do our best for the Scene in harmony.

The Overkiller

You are right! Only a scene in harmony will survive. But the reality tells us that some people always like to be negative in our scene... But hey, The Overkiller, you're not alone, I also still believe in a scene in harmony (the only thing which keeps the scene alive, is friendship).
Good luck with Scene World!!
2002-04-23 20:57
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: You are right! Only a scene in harmony will survive. But the reality tells us that some people always like to be negative in our scene... But hey, The Overkiller, you're not alone, I also still believe in a scene in harmony (the only thing which keeps the scene alive, is friendship).
Good luck with Scene World!!

Hiya Commander,

I'm a bit depressed to read some reactions, seems that some ppl love only to hit other ppl, "probably" it had a sense back in the 80 or 90 with hundreads of sceners around .... but now ??? We're even less and less and instead to enjoy and take it just as a cool hobby we must create useless conflicts. Bha !!! I go on without hear their shouts :)
Celtic, I think most ppl don't take seriously the Scene in this way, at my eyes it's only a way to quarrel just like in politic.

Regardz
The Overkiller
2002-04-24 00:52
Stryyker

Not everyone had to be friends with others, you have friends and the opposition. Much of the scenes were built upon competition. Competition motives are not important but these days when friendship is supposed to rule nothing seems to get done except nice letters and blablabla. Trying to do something better than someone else is healthy and more needed.
2002-04-24 09:15
Puterman
Account closed

Commander and Overkiller, about this "scene in harmony" stuff: do you mean that if you say something negative about a release or something else, you're doing something wrong? If that's the case, I definitely don't want a scene in harmony.
2002-04-24 10:22
hollowman

i dont see why people expect to get a soft treatment just because the scene is smaller. we still have big egos and narrow minds, so why would things have changed?

but if you believe in your idea, go for it. we've seen formula one chapters in the past, so why not an active scener list.
2002-04-24 15:44
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Commander and Overkiller, about this "scene in harmony" stuff: do you mean that if you say something negative about a release or something else, you're doing something wrong? If that's the case, I definitely don't want a scene in harmony.

The scene is far more in harmony now than it was during the 1980s and 90s; co-operation between crews is the norm now rather than a surprise (look at Crest and Oxyron working together or how many products GRG has done music for recently) and the "bitter" rivalries that were the source of a thousand ragging scrollers don't happen as much as they used to.

But there are still rivalries of a sort, as a vague example the "rasters and cycle timing" school of demo coding versus the "4x4 and maths" style, the "concept" demo versus the "Boris and splits" products or even emulation vs. no emulators; the scene is still made up of individuals who share a common interest in the C64 but not always an interest in the same facets.

As an example i like coding demos that feature rasterbars that are about as deep as the average puddle, Hollowman likes to use mono and have a message and that means there will be differences between us.

That doesn't mean there'll be a war between Cosine and Fairlight (well we could, it'd be an excuse for a couple of demos =-) just that there are differences and no matter how many manifestos are put out about "one scene in harmony" it'll probably never happen. The world as a whole can't get it right, we're just a macrocosm.

Please make the most of the above, that's as deep as i plan to get for the forseeable future. =-)
2002-04-24 22:23
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Commander and Overkiller, about this "scene in harmony" stuff: do you mean that if you say something negative about a release or something else, you're doing something wrong? If that's the case, I definitely don't want a scene in harmony.

Puterman , believe me , I agree with you!!! I accept any negative opinion if it might help , but I hate the useless attack against any idea simply because someone don't like that kind of idea. Hope you understood what I mean.

Regardz
The Overkiller
2002-04-24 22:29
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Not everyone had to be friends with others, you have friends and the opposition. Much of the scenes were built upon competition. Competition motives are not important but these days when friendship is supposed to rule nothing seems to get done except nice letters and blablabla. Trying to do something better than someone else is healthy and more needed.

Ok, ok !!! But I ask myself if it is total impossible competition between friends. I think it's possible....

Regardz
The Overkiller
2002-04-27 15:13
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Ok, ok !!! But I ask myself if it is total impossible competition between friends. I think it's possible....

Regardz
The Overkiller

In the same way we compete as "enemies"? No...
2002-04-28 07:19
Nafcom

Quote: ...there's nothing more to say!

Well, Linus, you are right and we have worked on that! See SWO#3 then! :)
Snail Mail release is May, 1st and online release Sunday NEXT week! (May, 5th).

Hope you will like it!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-28 07:23
Nafcom

Quote: I don't really understand all this "scandal" about the list.... If you don't find it interesting just ignore it, but are all of you 100% sure that it doesn't might interest to someone ??? C'mon , be sincere !!!!

The Overkiller/HF/P.o.L

Well, I think as long as there are people who like the list (and it reached also the charts of SWO#3, by the way), there shouldn't be any scandal!

So, there are supporters of the list and I personally think that Silvio's ideas are great!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-28 07:59
Nafcom

Quote: Ok, but you gotta talk to Nafcom about that, I ain't the organizer of SWO!!!

The Overkiller

Well, I said something about Puterman's entry.

By the way: Also Merman and UzzY is in news editing, not only me! :)

Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-28 08:06
Nafcom

Quote: In the same way we compete as "enemies"? No...

No, of course being in competition NOT like enemies!
There are some diskmags around, for example. They are not enemies but every mag is trying to reach the top of charts.

There has been a lot of discussion if it makes sense in starting co-ops between 2 or more magazines and most of those discussions end with the summary not to do co-ops because it would mean that one of those mags would lose its flair, outfit, etc.

Anyway, there is no reason for not writing texts for another magazine even if one is already an editor of an other magazines because they are not in competition like enemies.
Everybody should respect the other sides, and even help if the scener can (instead of fighting against the other person, product, etc.).

Bye!
Joerg
2002-04-28 09:04
Derision

I just felt the urge to add my opinions to this.

Competition, for whatever reason, is a good thing. It's what makes people get better. Hell, I learned to code just so that I could go "Nyaa nyaa" to someone who said I couldn't do it. Whether that competition be friendly, as it appears to be now in the shiny, happy "let's all join hands and sing" demo scene we live in now; or unfriendly, as it was in the ego-smashing, tooth-baring scene a mere five years ago, is irrelivant. It's competition that started the scene to begin with.

I don't know what that has to do with anything.

And as for the "Active Sceners List"... don't think of it as a list of every single active scener on the planet Earth... it's more of a list of every active scener that WANTS to be listed. Obviously, there are a lot of people not there, and the fact that the entire thing hinges on people sending in their data maintains that it will never be "complete", at least not in our lifetimes. Maybe fifty years down the road, someone will find it and add everyone else... but it's unlikely.

Word.
2002-05-12 23:22
Vengeance
Account closed

Its almost, self explanatary to find out who is and isnt active I'd guess. You dont need some kind of list for it just read the latest magazines, chat on IRC and ICQ. I've never had to ask people to compile such a list. Thats what makes you the mag editor, investigative jornalism.

2002-05-23 13:58
Nafcom

Hello there!

I like the idea of the list anyway, and as long as readers want it, we will keep it as a part of "Scene World"!

I think it's good that we have such a list and that The Overkiller is bringing in his ideas and efforts!

Why should a reader do much jornalism, if a diskmag offers already an updated list?!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Martinland
Mike
CA$H/TRiAD
Alakran_64
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
aNdy/AL/Cosine