Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Hardware Problem
2006-10-07 21:08
ptoing

Hardware Problem

I think my SID chip died \D:/
Yesterday all was working well and then today I wanted to watch Royal Arte on the real thing since I have set up my RR-Net stuff properly a few days ago. Transferred it, loaded, run, no sound. Neither on the TV via antenna cable nor on the stereo via cinch cable.
The only logical conclusion for me is that my SID chip croaked somehow and now I wanted to know if there is a surefire way to tell. Is there som hardware diagnostic tool for the C64 by any chance.

This sucks ass :/
2006-10-07 22:07
ptoing

Ok, problem solved, sid IS dead. removed the fucker and yago will gimme a new one at X \:D/
2006-10-07 22:46
Motion
Account closed

Yago sounds (or no sounds?) like a nice bloke! Ensure your old SID receives a respectful burial... snyft.
2006-10-08 01:51
ptoing

I could go bury it in hyde part :B
2006-10-08 05:47
Thunder.Bird

Why the fu#*ing hell dies a SID at all? I wish'ed there would be a GOD after all... only for us. We haven't done bad things, didn't we? A great great pitty. I feel with you, ptoing!
2006-10-08 09:34
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: Why the fu#*ing hell dies a SID at all? I wish'ed there would be a GOD after all... only for us. We haven't done bad things, didn't we? A great great pitty. I feel with you, ptoing!

hrm, you may not have done bad things, but I have. that said, I go through an average of one sid every 18 months. Arg.
2006-10-08 10:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Ptoing: take a tune and play it, then display the registers on screen. that should tell if something runs through the sid or not.

irq:
;grab sid registers
lda #$34
sta $01
jsr music
ldx #0
l1 lda $d400,x
sta $c000,x
inx
bne l1
lda #$35
sta $01

;play music and display registers
ldx #0
l2 lda $c000,x
sta $d400,x
sta $0400,x
inx
bne l2

sec
rol $d019
rti

btw. dont expect the tune to sound 100% right, as
the sid is now not updated in real time!
2006-10-08 10:50
Oswald

instead of sec rol d019 u can use simply lsr d019
2006-10-08 19:02
ptoing

well the sid is already taken out of the socket. When i felt it yesterday while running a tune the thing was hot. And with hot I mean egg-frying-hot, it burned my finger. SO I am pretty sure this SID is off to it's ancestors.
2006-10-09 12:57
Thunder.Bird

It's kind of normal that a SID runs hot. I eat each day one fried egg to use the temperature. Mahlzeit!
2009-07-13 07:45
GT
Account closed

My C-64 is dying (old bin and 6581 chip). Anyone know why it has ground hum on a cold-start for about 10 minutes, then it fades away ? The power supply is of the new type, and it works fine on the C-64C (slimline) without the need of a warm-up. Changing SID-chips hasn't fixed it either. Display and everything seems ok.
I have to add: The problem started after I bought the MMC Replay. Does that cartridge consume some extra voltages ?
2009-07-13 08:26
Steppe

Did you remove the internal shielding? Make sure it's attached properly.
Did you connect the 64 via RF cable to a TV or through the monitor port? Can you check if the ground hum is there on both outputs? Are the TV/monitor and the PSU of the 64 connected to the same wall socket? Have you tried turning the plugs around 180 degrees in the wall socket?
I'm not an electronics expert, just what came to mind to narrow down the problem.
2009-07-13 08:42
GT
Account closed

Quote: Did you remove the internal shielding? Make sure it's attached properly.
Did you connect the 64 via RF cable to a TV or through the monitor port? Can you check if the ground hum is there on both outputs? Are the TV/monitor and the PSU of the 64 connected to the same wall socket? Have you tried turning the plugs around 180 degrees in the wall socket?
I'm not an electronics expert, just what came to mind to narrow down the problem.

Ohhh.. Is that internal shielding crucial ? Cos I think I removed it sometime. Can't remember when. But I kept the shielding somewhere. I just read somewhere that the internal shielding would overheat the machine, and it was a bad solution from Commodore. Untrue? Nothing wrong with the wall sockets by the way, as another machine works ok with the same setup, cables etc... I use a homemade Audio/Video cable by the way. No TV, I use a projector using S-Video connection. I've wired a Jack-plug for the Audio to my Mackie VLZ-mixer. My other machines works ok with this cable though.
2009-07-13 09:09
ready.

Quote:
hrm, you may not have done bad things, but I have. that said, I go through an average of one sid every 18 months. Arg.

that's a lot!! I haven't fryed any SID of years and only when doing bad things like shorting the output to ground or messing with ext in unproperly.

And I use my C64 every day.

Are you using any SID protection?
2009-07-13 09:15
GT
Account closed

Ahhhh. That didn't help much. Please read my previous posts. Anyone ?
Please people, don't reply to older posts, as I need help with this matter.
2009-07-13 09:28
Devia

Geir, bring your bitch to LCP and people like Mogwai, Lotus or even me can take a look at it.
The humming can be there for a shitload of reasons, but with a moderate dose of beer then listening, looking, talking and even petting can help shed some light on the reason ;-)
2009-07-13 12:11
GT
Account closed

Black screen from RF. I've checked inside the lid and found some components touching eachother, after separating them still there's black screen and that humming noise. Where's the video signal coming from, since it works on the video out port ?
By the way, I don't think I've fried one single SID chip. They all still work.
2009-07-13 12:44
GT
Account closed

Quote: Geir, bring your bitch to LCP and people like Mogwai, Lotus or even me can take a look at it.
The humming can be there for a shitload of reasons, but with a moderate dose of beer then listening, looking, talking and even petting can help shed some light on the reason ;-)

Ok, I'll bring my bitch to Long Cocks Party then. Better fix it, or I'll stick my bitch up your ass, motha fucka. Hmmm.. ;-)
2009-07-13 14:32
GT
Account closed

She's been going ON for hours now. And when I spank the bitch, she blue-flashes before me. She kills me, and won't stop. Help! I think she needs a new Rear Fuckhole (RF) ? Should I bring with me my Big Gun so we could open her wide up ? That fucking bitch, son of a..... She's a 1983 by the way, well used, but good looking. Can't just dump her either, got some love for her still. A little bit, that bitch motha fucka.
2009-07-13 16:55
PAL

Geir... maybe we should do the wifeswap, computer vise that is... I can make your violated shine again and threat her right, she really deserves that after your nasty sid violation on her during the last year... everyone will soon hear how she has suffered and been in pain and agony and in your hands of violence... man I feel for her, the beating she has taken, it is not possible to overcome that almost, but I can try to talk with her and make gentle love to her, maybe she respond with sweet sounds again?... Mine however is so calm and almost booring so you can show her where her place is... violate her, rape her and make her a woman, that virgin she is in her sid, almost pathetic and unsexy... phhh...... while I can make love and do sweet pillowtalk to yours.... you know me, I am a lover, not a fighter... Be warned, she has a really abused VIC-II chip... widened her alot, almost to the max I would say... but I know you can damage her more than me you nasty beast of a nerd... me nerd, no... ha ha... we are the same bread!
2009-07-13 17:13
GT
Account closed

Pal, now she's been going on for like 7 hours. Her SID is so bloody HOT, but atleast she stopped whining. So her handicap must be the RF, fucking Rear Fuckhole, I fucking slap her right there... Somebody bring a new Rear Fuckhole to the bloody Long Cock Party fucker place. That rear just give black shit outta there.
2009-07-13 17:15
Wile Coyote

Quote: Ok, problem solved, sid IS dead. removed the fucker and yago will gimme a new one at X \:D/

I could be wrong here, but..

I once attempted to make 1 good 64 from 3 not so good 64’s
The result should have been, a 64 with great keyboard, good picture output, great sound chip. The resulting 64 worked fine, although the Sid chip didn’t sound as good as it sound when mounted to its original circuit board. Quite why this was, I have no idea.
2009-07-13 17:21
GT
Account closed

If you can make 1 bitch outta 3, I'd love you so much. Ya know, all I want her to do is to blossom like a blue angel. An angel. Those light blue and dark beautiful colours. She's so frustrated, cos her number 2 works on the big screen. I feel sorry for her, that the RF disturbs her and Mr. Sid when she's feeling cold and lonely.
2009-07-13 17:33
GT
Account closed

Ohh. Problem solved for the time being. I found another bitch in the closet.... What's this... Oh, no, it is not a bitch, it is a faggot. It is that albino shit. Well, seem I just have to live with the 8580 for a couple of days then. Common!
2009-07-13 17:49
PAL

man... you are the one in pulpficttion, the one in dark leather suit... your nastier than I imagined Geir... you are the gimp... man violate the next and be happy and stand tall above normal, abnormal... you are the one sm master... or should I say sid masted... thet is even nastier in the year 2009. Another one in the closet is so nast geir... ooohhh.... in the behind closed doors as twisterd sisters sung about... behind the closed doors geir... that is where you keep the needed ones.
2009-07-13 18:09
GT
Account closed

I got a few skeletons in the closet. I always wear black leather combined with latex while raping those bitches. How I'm gonna tackle this albino shit, I dunno. At least his number 2 is working, for the big screen.
2009-07-13 18:19
PAL

her geir... her.... ha ha...
2009-07-13 19:10
taper

I don`t want to state the obvious, but just a reminder to everyone to be REALLY careful when it comes to old powersupplies for c64´s. Even PSU`s that seem fine can flake out and kill a c64 once it runs hot. The single most common reason when I burnt out a c64 in some way has been the powersupply! A c128 PSU is much better and don´t take out the computer if it decides to burn up.

I recommend a heavy duty PSU, or a converter so you can use a C128 PSU with the c64.

Also, read this: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pstester.txt
2009-07-13 19:16
GT
Account closed

Quote: I don`t want to state the obvious, but just a reminder to everyone to be REALLY careful when it comes to old powersupplies for c64´s. Even PSU`s that seem fine can flake out and kill a c64 once it runs hot. The single most common reason when I burnt out a c64 in some way has been the powersupply! A c128 PSU is much better and don´t take out the computer if it decides to burn up.

I recommend a heavy duty PSU, or a converter so you can use a C128 PSU with the c64.

Also, read this: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pstester.txt

You gotta read all the posts, dude. I have a modern one. But you are correct.
The older PSU's is exactly on the limit of the C-64's consumptions, that's why they get this brown burnt out colour. Of todays standards Commodore wouldn't been allowed to sell that crap. The PSU's for C-64C are ok, and those you mention. For the diskdrives I use a PC power, best you can use. Up the Bitches ! ;)
2009-07-13 19:32
taper

Actually, a PSU of the "new" type (c64c) might be slightly better than the old brown ones, BUT they are in no way safer than them if they in fact do fuck up. I`ve thrown away quite some c64c PSU´s that were totally bonanza.

I am not sure how good the PSU´s that came with REU´s were, though. If they were built like c128´s PSU´s they are safer, if not, see above. :)
2009-07-13 22:01
Steppe

That's what you get from your damn code optimizing, I always told you! Insert a NOP here and there and let the old lady take a breath now and then. My 64 suffered badly from running EoD, symptoms are like a stroke. Too many calculations, now the SIDs mono and the palette is reduced to 16 colours. Buggers.
2009-07-13 22:29
Devia

Taper: watz?!? you throws away b0rked pzus? you bad boy! cutz ze friggin schlongs off em and give tat shit to me! - ez gud four pissisuplajs yes!
..ze schlongs aj mean... nots teh shitz brickz
2009-07-13 23:12
null
Account closed

Quote: Actually, a PSU of the "new" type (c64c) might be slightly better than the old brown ones, BUT they are in no way safer than them if they in fact do fuck up. I`ve thrown away quite some c64c PSU´s that were totally bonanza.

I am not sure how good the PSU´s that came with REU´s were, though. If they were built like c128´s PSU´s they are safer, if not, see above. :)

I've heard that REU and C128 PSUs are the same, apart from the plug.. not sure about that though.

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2009-07-14 10:18
taper

Devia:No worries, I always save the plug before throwing ém away. :=)
2009-07-14 11:20
Mace

Quote:
I've heard that REU and C128 PSUs are the same, apart from the plug.. not sure about that though.
If I find time and I feel like it, I might open both of them to have a look.
Judging from the outside, you might be right.
They also look like Amiga PSUs, but those have a completely different weight. Haven't checked the voltages either, btw... might also be different.
2009-07-14 11:35
Devia

Amiga 500 PSUs come in both switchmode and oldfashioned big friggin' transformer based ones.. Dunno if that applies to C128 PSUs.
2009-07-15 07:41
Devia

oh btw.. better post my current state of mind here as I'm certain to forget once the LCP kicks in..
Geir: most probable cause for your "problems" is the 9V ac power caps.. they have probably given up.. Once heated up they could start functioning properly again, which could explain your symptoms. I don't think it's your rear fuckhole's fault.
I'll bring some spare parts to LCP and if Mogwai brings a scope, as he usually does, he can confirm my suspicions before fucking everything up.
2009-07-15 13:18
GT
Account closed

Quote: oh btw.. better post my current state of mind here as I'm certain to forget once the LCP kicks in..
Geir: most probable cause for your "problems" is the 9V ac power caps.. they have probably given up.. Once heated up they could start functioning properly again, which could explain your symptoms. I don't think it's your rear fuckhole's fault.
I'll bring some spare parts to LCP and if Mogwai brings a scope, as he usually does, he can confirm my suspicions before fucking everything up.

@Devia, but my RF gives black screen (ALL the time). The VIDEO OUT works. But you're probably right about the 9V ac power caps, could give a mailfunctioning RF? I Dunno. Bring along all the bitches and pieces you can get, and we'll see. Rock'n'roll. ;)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Martin Piper
csabanw
Guests online: 174
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)