Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2314 : C64 Cracking Competition 2015
2015-01-16 18:22
Burglar

Event id #2314 : C64 Cracking Competition 2015

Howdy Crackers!

These days the cracking scene is pretty active, but it seems most effort is spent on rushing out a version first with non-protected games.
Now that we found this nice original that hasn't been cracked, we thought, let's turn it around. Have a cracking competition with all of you with a full price EA game, including a nice protection. So here we go with the first C64 Cracking Competition 2015!

You are invited to crack "Return of Heracles" (C) 1983-1986 Electronic Arts.

Download the original here: http://sh.scs-trc.net/return_of_heracles.d64

Please read the rules carefully, and take all the time you need, quality over speed please :)

Rules:

- Submit your entry before or at 23:59 saturdayevening the 28th of March 2015 by email to c64crackingcompetition@hushmail.com
- Your release must fully run on a stock c64 + 1541.
- Your release must be filecopieable and packed.
- Your release must contain a crack intro, but you also must provide an introless version. This will be used to accurately measure size.
- Recracking is strictly forbidden, you must crack the original we provide. When in doubt, we will dig through your release and ask a few questions to confirm you really cracked it yourself.
- Individuals may only be part of a single release, so a group may enter multiple cracks, provided they are done by other members.
- You are allowed to use whatever tools you want.

Calculating Results:

50% of the result will be determined by public voting, either using or own voting system or on csdb. Stay tuned for additional info.

The other 50% of the result is calculated by the compo organizers using the following criteria:

- The shorter the better *)
- The faster it loads the better
- Proper saving capabilities
- Full PAL/NTSC compatibility
- Amount of bugfixes (if any bugs present in game)
- Amount of trainers (no double trainers)
- Minus points if you introduce bugs and need multiple versions
- The more devices besides 1541 (or compatible) you support, the better
- Optional REU support is also nice

*) We explicitly do not want to discourage the use of large intros, hence
the introless version requirement.

Most of all, have fun cracking this full price game!

The Organizers,

Peacemaker/Hitmen
Burglar/SCS*TRC

... 158 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-02-18 18:59
Burglar

the compo is very much alive \o/ really looking forward to see how everybody handled ;)

status from the organizer's version (outside compo): crack finished, savegames fully working, many trainers found.

so now its trainermenu time, lets see which one we'll rip :D

@madmax, too bad you're not entering the compo, would've been a nice opportunity to show-off your skills. also, the real original is linked on the event page and in this thread. Wish we found the real original before we started the compo, but took us a few more days. oh well.

http://sh.scs-trc.net/return_of_heracles_real_original.g64
2015-03-03 12:38
Bacchus

Can I officially say that I fucking *hate* the $80 byte text chunks. Making the sectors to files make them 2 blocks and IFFLing them will need code in the drive which doesn't go well with aslo being able to save files. HATE!!!!!
2015-03-03 17:36
Linus

Quote:
@madmax, too bad you're not entering the compo, would've been a nice opportunity to show-off your skills.

:D
2015-03-03 18:02
Burglar

Quoting Bacchus
Can I officially say that I fucking *hate* the $80 byte text chunks. Making the sectors to files make them 2 blocks and IFFLing them will need code in the drive which doesn't go well with aslo being able to save files. HATE!!!!!

oh dear Pontus, how I would love to explain our approach, but its too soon! ;)

on another note, I will not be available during deadline weekend, so I would like to extend the deadline with 1 week... so that would be saturday the 4th of april.
7 days more for everybody \o/

does anyone (of the crackers working on an entry) object?
2015-03-03 20:52
DKT

Can there be used fast loader made by someone else, f.e. Krill's?
2015-03-03 21:04
Burglar

Quoting DKT
Can there be used fast loader made by someone else, f.e. Krill's?

yes you may
2015-03-04 17:15
Bacchus

Having read this, I am considering pulling out of the compo as I realise that it can mean I will get involved in organised crime ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/03/home-office-prevent-..

NAAAAAHHH. What a heap of bullshit!
2015-03-08 03:05
Bacchus

Learning more about the game every day. It is really complex. All data under control - especially the texts and full control on how to address it. Fair idea on how to structure the files. Crunching with today's standards ok. Full mapping of the player profiles produced. Made the first outline of a trainer that works perfectly but there is more work to be done before I am pleased with it.
All in all I'm now convinced that we have done all the difficult shit. Possibly with the exception of iffl + saving. Now it's just to wrap it up.
Looking forward to getting back to having spare time.
2015-03-20 21:07
Burglar

As nobody objected against the move of the deadline, the final deadline is Saturday April 4th at 23:59:59, right before easter.

Everybody is invited to come to irc #c-64 to chat with hopefully all contestants around that time.
Funny thing is, Revision old school demo compo is around that time as well, nice opportunity to have the stream running in another window and chatting the night away with your peers.
Return of Heracles was hard enough, so there will be plenty to talk about :)

Shortly after midnight a zip will be released containing all versions at once.

Public voting should start soon after on a then disclosed url. We will re-use Votox - The X Voting System for voting (provided there are enough entries, and it looks like there will be). You can receive a votecode on irc from me, or you can request one by email: c64crackingcompetition@hushmail.com, or even via PM here on csdb.

Voting will be open for 7 (or less/more?) days, at the same time the organizers finish their ratings of each entry. Final result will then be revealed.

Time to start wrapping your crack up :) Which in our case means, finish the fuckin trainermenu lol

See you the 4th on #c-64!

Peacemaker & Burglar
2015-03-28 21:05
Fungus

Saturday April 4th at 23:59:59

What timezone?
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Steffan/BOOM!
Grue/Extend
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Murphy/Exceed
Medicus
zscs