Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2314 : C64 Cracking Competition 2015
2015-01-16 18:22
Burglar

Event id #2314 : C64 Cracking Competition 2015

Howdy Crackers!

These days the cracking scene is pretty active, but it seems most effort is spent on rushing out a version first with non-protected games.
Now that we found this nice original that hasn't been cracked, we thought, let's turn it around. Have a cracking competition with all of you with a full price EA game, including a nice protection. So here we go with the first C64 Cracking Competition 2015!

You are invited to crack "Return of Heracles" (C) 1983-1986 Electronic Arts.

Download the original here: http://sh.scs-trc.net/return_of_heracles.d64

Please read the rules carefully, and take all the time you need, quality over speed please :)

Rules:

- Submit your entry before or at 23:59 saturdayevening the 28th of March 2015 by email to c64crackingcompetition@hushmail.com
- Your release must fully run on a stock c64 + 1541.
- Your release must be filecopieable and packed.
- Your release must contain a crack intro, but you also must provide an introless version. This will be used to accurately measure size.
- Recracking is strictly forbidden, you must crack the original we provide. When in doubt, we will dig through your release and ask a few questions to confirm you really cracked it yourself.
- Individuals may only be part of a single release, so a group may enter multiple cracks, provided they are done by other members.
- You are allowed to use whatever tools you want.

Calculating Results:

50% of the result will be determined by public voting, either using or own voting system or on csdb. Stay tuned for additional info.

The other 50% of the result is calculated by the compo organizers using the following criteria:

- The shorter the better *)
- The faster it loads the better
- Proper saving capabilities
- Full PAL/NTSC compatibility
- Amount of bugfixes (if any bugs present in game)
- Amount of trainers (no double trainers)
- Minus points if you introduce bugs and need multiple versions
- The more devices besides 1541 (or compatible) you support, the better
- Optional REU support is also nice

*) We explicitly do not want to discourage the use of large intros, hence
the introless version requirement.

Most of all, have fun cracking this full price game!

The Organizers,

Peacemaker/Hitmen
Burglar/SCS*TRC

... 158 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-02-07 18:28
BiGFooT

You can except a release from "Breeze" too.

By the way, the "EA loader" itself isn't a mess. It's pretty simple if you ask me. The game's loading mechanic is a bit messy tough but after you figured out the meaning of halfblocks then it's a "piece of cake". Also the Apple II and Atari RoH uses the same halfblock reading method which shows that it's not looks like this because of the EA loader.

BTW a conversion tool is better to support "original" savegames, however I think it's not worth it. The game is pretty short and i'm sure mostly no one remembers where and why he left his last hero.
2015-02-07 18:40
Peacemaker

"but I'm hoping for FLT, Nostalgia, AFL, HF, GP, Laxity, A+F4CG and Onslaught as well of course."

me too.
2015-02-07 19:17
Burglar

Bigfoot, awesome you will be entering as well :)

As far as I know now, I'm expecting a minimum of 5 cracks of RoH. Really awesome to have many participants.
2015-02-08 10:09
Bacchus

Also agree with Enno - it paid back big time.

The half block loading option isn't really used. Some confusion of my the mem copy routine is called twice before I saw it did this. It just does this when is copies to 0380 once and then 9f80 a few time. The latter is why displaying messages...
2015-02-08 12:43
ϵʟʞ

Hey guys you are loosing your time talking about it here.. Better crack that talk.
I have the cracked file based version already done and is nearly perfect working.
I have still not implemented yet any trainers or fixes, but it is done - cracked and working!
eLK
2015-02-08 13:10
Burglar

@eLK, you should know though, there are 2 other cracks which are further than you that I know off. Still, great job!

One of those is the version by Peacemaker and me: game fully working, savegames fully working \o/
The other one, well, I guess I shouldn't share too much info with 7 weeks or so to go ;)
2015-02-15 15:35
MADMAX

You start them with a crack already! Make them de protect the game! They already lost as they never had to learn how to remove the Pirate Slayers Protection! Sad!

Well if I did one I would start with making my original port it over as a G64/NIB and go from their!

Also less bugs if any exist on the European one!

Well have fun I have too many ori's to play with also why you just using side 2 of Age of Adventure what about Alibaba and the 40 thieves! This was a double sided disk?

I think about the many times I could sit down and think how could I make a group come alive and get back to hacking! Well I hope this does as I haven't seen Burglar and Peacemaker in the seen for a while! I bet they IFFL'd it and maybe close to 7 Trainers if not they aren't far off!

All I will say is good luck and may the best win!
2015-02-15 16:54
chatGPZ

Quote:
They already lost as they never had to learn how to remove the Pirate Slayers Protection! Sad!

says the king of recracks. LOL
2015-02-15 17:14
Peacemaker

Doh. The Protection is to avoid backups of the whole disk. But the goal of the comp* is to get the file cracked copiefileable. Some people...
2015-02-18 12:55
Fungus

@Peacey I wasn't "playing smart" I was just teasing you bastards, chill out.

I already mentioned the "breadcrumb" protections in these games (EA), which is probably what you found as it's pretty common in them.

@Bacchus: It's not about "cracking" the games, removing the protection once you know how takes all of about 5 minutes to do. I would consider the "real" protection making such games copyable with a file copier. Removing any in-game protections, and making the games trainable as many had protections against that too. Some even have protection against "cleaning" them and making them short, because of pirate cartridge versions being made. Jumpman is an example of the latter.

As sailor pointed out, the games from the US market were very much all like this in the early days. They must have spent a lot of time and money on these loader systems. But why? The question remains... since most were made "copyable" in a very short amount of time usually.

Glad this compo isn't dead, hope to see more from everyone.

@MadMax: Kill yourself.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Kruthers
Guests online: 118
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)