Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #5065 : More Than NOPs
2008-01-20 18:58
chatGPZ

Release id #5065 : More Than NOPs

a) this one is called (and spelled) "More than NOPs". (look at digi part).
b) this is not a taboo release

whoever insists on changing it back to whatever else, just dont.

kthxbye

... 16 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-01-20 19:39
assiduous
Account closed

you dont know the background behind taboo at all yet feel competent enough to have the final word and decide whether the authors of a productions think retroactively or not (LOL!!! how on earth can you know that?). read once again what comankh wrote in the comments.

as for the title , i told you that:

1. the note states that the demo is called "More Than NOPs"
2. their official website backs it up
3. it's the correct English spelling (look at how they do it in GB64 and HVSC for example)

and you still believe that 1 alternative spelling is more important that these 3 valid reasons.

with knowing-better-than-everyone moderators like you, this database will just degrade.
2008-01-20 19:41
chatGPZ

it degrades more by deliberatly adding links which will no more work in a week or two.
2008-01-20 19:52
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: it degrades more by deliberatly adding links which will no more work in a week or two.

you can't even stick to the topic and respond with sense. I won't go into a discussion with you about anything that doesnt pertain to More Than NOPs. So your attempts to go offtopic and cover your incompetence with a shallow sarcasm are futile. If you have something to say about me "deliberatly adding links which will no more work in a week or two" then please start another topic or use PM otherwise just remain silent because it doesn't relate in any way to what i wrote in my previous post.
2008-01-20 20:09
chatGPZ

Quote:

you dont know the background behind taboo at all yet feel competent enough to have the final word and decide whether the authors of a productions think retroactively or not (LOL!!! how on earth can you know that?). read once again what comankh wrote in the comments.

are you one of the taboo guys? do you think for example Art Bizzare should be credited to smash designs, because it was made by smash designs and not haujobb? should Europe +4 be credited to crest? <insert list of other demos with "wrong" credits>

no, what matters is what the actual production states. the rest is trivia info. if i call myself and my friend the mighty wankerboys but don't state it in my production, it's not a mighty wankerboys release. we'd have to "fix" a lot of stuff if that would be the case.

Quote:

1. the note states that the demo is called "More Than NOPs"

yes, the production states otherwise.

Quote:

2. their official website backs it up

this may, or may not be relevant. the production states differently still. they can correct their spelling mistake all they want.

Quote:

3. it's the correct English spelling (look at how they do it in GB64 and HVSC for example)

if you had bothered to check the link wreg posted you might have noticed that infact there is no "correct" english spelling. and that the most common one among publishers infact is "sentence style". it's however irrelevant, the only thing that matters is how it is spelled in the production. if the production would incorrectly spell it "more then nops", that would be the title. anything else is trivia information.

Quote:

with knowing-better-than-everyone moderators like you, this database will just degrade.

would it make you feel worse if i told you that infact another moderator (one who probably has more insight to the demoscene than most people because of his massive swapping activities back in the days) changed it back to "More than NOPs" before you could "fix" it?
2008-01-20 20:53
wreg
Account closed

could you please stop knitpicking!

it doesnt really matter how it is written here in the db!

could we just be grateful to that aka field i just filled as long as this is kinda 'unsolved'??

anyway, we shouldn't add releases as they were titled anyway, especially on cracks we do not want this, because you would be unable to find anything if you just copied 'mistakes'/whatever done by the crackers :)
2008-01-20 20:57
assiduous
Account closed

1. "More Than NOPs" is a title! It's not a sentence. Learn the difference and as soon as you have done it you will understand that "sentence style" is irrelevent here anyway. look at how they do it in Imdb, in gb64, in hvsc - its always "Than" uppercase unless explicitly and what is even more important *unambiguously* stated otherwise. If in doubt the correct English spelling is always used (if someone from gb64 or hvsc could confirm it please do so).

2.The note is a part of the production and contains valid and accurate info about the production! It's as much as important as what's written in the demo. If the demo stated that the code was done by MSS and the note said it was MMS then i can assume that you would create a new handle "MSS"? God forbid that anyone makes a typo in a demo!

3. So what we have here is 2 valid and equally reliable sources (the note and the demo). Therefore it's a doubtful situation. But the general rules of spelling English titles favours the former. And what is crucial, an additional direct source confirms the former to be correct. Sorry, it's 3:1 to Than.

4. about the examples you have brought up. they are not fitting here because they explicitly state that haujobb and tough released these productions. situation here is completely different because the authors themselves acknowledge that this is a Taboo release! and comankh confirms this! for gods sake, this is 2 people directly responsible for the production + a witness stating the obvious and you still cant accept it.

5. there are 100s of productions having no info about groups that released them ( how many pictures for instance have this kind of info ? ) OK you might argue that a demo is a different category than a picture but if theres no info in the demo about the name of the group that released it then you should trust the authors.
2008-01-20 20:58
chatGPZ

put the "correct" spelling into "aka" then. IMHO "we" have no right whatsoever to correct "mistakes" like this.

Quote:
If in doubt the correct English spelling is always used

why dont you check the link wreg posted, and which i repeated? there is no single "correct" spelling for titles.
2008-01-20 21:06
TDJ

Quote: could you please stop knitpicking!

it doesnt really matter how it is written here in the db!

could we just be grateful to that aka field i just filled as long as this is kinda 'unsolved'??

anyway, we shouldn't add releases as they were titled anyway, especially on cracks we do not want this, because you would be unable to find anything if you just copied 'mistakes'/whatever done by the crackers :)

Wow .. danger, Will Robinson! Please do not try to handle cracks & demos in the same way.

Furthermore I do agree with Groepaz: please don't try to correct spelling mistakes. For example, Bigger Then Life - The Return should not be called Bigger Than Life, and all those releases with the word rythm in them should keep their (faulty) name as well.
2008-01-20 21:11
assiduous
Account closed

wreg: its pretty important to sort it out. This situation shows how much Groepaz feels that being in charge entitles him to put the word of authors in doubt. About the group, he's in a totally lost position i reckon.

About the title:I have given 2 specific valid reasons why a more common and correct title should be used, he gave 1.

The Dark Judge: thank your for your input but unless you come up with a production that has an ambiguous title (which means 2 titles used, one being misspelt, the other not) i'm afraid you're offtopicking here.
2008-01-20 21:14
TDJ

Quote: wreg: its pretty important to sort it out. This situation shows how much Groepaz feels that being in charge entitles him to put the word of authors in doubt. About the group, he's in a totally lost position i reckon.

About the title:I have given 2 specific valid reasons why a more common and correct title should be used, he gave 1.

The Dark Judge: thank your for your input but unless you come up with a production that has an ambiguous title (which means 2 titles used, one being misspelt, the other not) i'm afraid you're offtopicking here.

Sorry dude, but I was reacting to something wreg said:

Quoting wreg
anyway, we shouldn't add releases as they were titled anyway

He said that as part of the discussion, I disagree with him. Hence, I don't feel I'm offtopic.

Well, now I am but still ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
HBH.ZTH/Abnormal
Menace/Spaceballs
Guests online: 121
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)