Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #76119 : MultiColour V0.1.1
2009-02-26 11:16
Skoe
Account closed

Release id #76119 : MultiColour V0.1.1

These are the answers to the comments at MultiColor V0.1.1

@Majikeyric: I just saw that the color selection doesn't work correctly in the windows version. I should have tested it more carefully :/ Normally one should be able to use the right mouse button to select a secondary color and then draw with the right button.

@Ninja: I really appreciate patches as long as they fit to the zlib-License (no GPL, please) and as long as I like them =) Feel free to contact me using mail or the Berlios tools. Maybe better before you implement something to be sure the work isn't done twice.

Regarding installing it on Linux: I used a Xubuntu 8.10 live CD to test it. The package manager automatically installed libwxgtk2.8 and libwxbase2.8. However, for other distros I also recommend to build it from sources. It's easy:

1. install libwxgtk2.8-dev or whatever name it has on your system. This will hopefully also install all other dependencies like libwxbase2.8-dev

2. compile (as normal user)

cd make/gcc-default
make

3. install (optional, as root)

sudo make install

Step 3 should even create a menu entry for Gnome, KDE or Xfce. I'll add an INSTALL file in the next release.

Before adding new "high level" features I'm planning to optimize and improve the already existing ones first:

- Fix the win32 issues (secondary color, screen update, crash on exit)
- Some algorithmical optimizations of the really stupid drawing/update code
- Currently it's much slower than it should be
- Color picker (using Shift is a good idea)
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Use scroll weel to zoom

When this is done some more useful features could be added like Copy & Paste, real PAL emulation and so on.

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-02-27 23:31
DeeKay

Okay, making progress here...

Edhellon sent me two patched cpp-files and i was able to compile it on OS X and it runs!
Took me some time to be able to draw for some reason, but it does work. Setting Pixels works, filling works, Linedrawing works and freehand works. No problem choosing the colors. Even opening pictures works as well as saving them, hooray!

Performance however leaves a lot to be desired. There is noticeable drag while drawing, and if the zoomcursor was a dog and your mousepointers was taking it walkies, it would probably need a 200m long leash if you know what I mean! ;-D
Some issues with the window focus: the pixel/zoom area is in another floating window, and there's a 1:1 size preview area in the main window. If I klick anywhere within the main window, the preview area goes black. Only if the zoom-window has focus I can actually see the preview area! I'll post a screenshot, so you know what it looks like on OSX.

Dunno what the blur thingy does (supposedly TV-Emu?), but it doesn't seem to have any effect here. I can switch on and off though, but it doesn't seem to do anything (i zoomed in to verify, there ALWAYS seems to be a slight horizontal blur on the pic!)

Suggestions for improvements: The main window's arrangement is quite "wasty". It needs to have a certain width to be able to see all the tools on the top, and then you have a huge empty area on the right. You WILL need more tools when the app evolves, so you might as well just place them Photoshop/timanthes style vertically in 2 rows on the right of the preview window! ;-)

Here's the screenshot:

2009-02-28 07:16
Steppe

A nice looking XP theme you've got there, DK!
2009-02-28 09:35
null
Account closed

Steppe likes to live dangerously. ;_D

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2009-02-28 09:40
JackAsser

Quote: A nice looking XP theme you've got there, DK!

How do you mean? It screams Aqua to me.
2009-02-28 11:24
Luca

@Skoe: pretty nice tool.
It would be nice too, adding the most common Plus/4 bitmap format: MultiBotticelli's.

What is needed too:
- Multi Botticelli picture format: filenames are prefixed with "M.", e.g. "M.DRAWING"; files are saved from $7800; layout standard:
Color..$7800-$7BE7 ($03E8 bytes, padded to $0400 bytes)
Luminance..$7C00-$7FE7 ($03E8 bytes, padded to $0400 bytes)
Bitmap..........$8000-$9F40 ($1F40 bytes);
signature: the last 6 bytes of the color map (in other words, at $7BFA): "MULT" (FF16 color byte) (FF15 color byte), the FF16 and FF15 color bytes are "nibble-reversed": e.g. $71 value will be stored as $17;
- a valid palette (e.g. Istvan Varga spreaded a nice little tool which produces a palette as .act or .txt files)
- two colors are fixed in the whole pic ($FF15/$FF16), and two can change every 8x8 cell.
2009-02-28 19:03
Skoe
Account closed

Quote:
and then you have a huge empty area on the right.

This is the area supposed to contain the zoomed view. If you have a look at the screenshot on the release page you'll see that the space is used better in this case. Even if the layout is still far from perfect. One of the next important things is to implement the layout by myself instead of leaving this to wxWidgets.

When I want to reboot my notebook to windows next time I'll have a look at Timanthes, too.

Quote:
Performance however leaves a lot to be desired.

That's most probably the very stupid redrawing I implemented quick and dirty. ("Redraw everything even after only setting a single dot."). I nearly finished the redesign if the software structure to enable minimal redrawing. Possibly a first preview will work this weekend, I'm curious if there is a noticable difference already.

Quote:
Dunno what the blur thingy does (supposedly TV-Emu?), but it doesn't seem to have any effect here.

That's a very basic "PAL-Emulation" I implemented it around 2003 before I knew what a real PAL emulation should do. Yes, it's nothing more than a horizontal blur. Currently it's always on in the 1:1 preview window. In the main drawing window it can be switched on and off, but the difference can only be seen when the zoom is 1:1 or 2:1.

Quote:
It would be nice too, adding the most common Plus/4 bitmap format: MultiBotticelli's.

Let me complete and fix the stuff already in the prog, then I'll think about what to do next. I'll add a feature request about this, so it can't get forgotten.

Thank you for your patience you have with this incomplete and buggy tool :) It'll get better sooner or later...
2009-03-01 22:09
Skoe
Account closed

Anybody with a Mac out there?

There's a new snapshot at Berlios which should improve the redrawing performance significantly and hopefully also resolves some redrawing bugs.

I checked it on Linux and Windows where it looks quite fast now. What redrawing issues are left on Mac?

The separate drawing window is still not included into the main window. That's what I'll do next.
2009-03-02 00:04
Edhellon

Definitely much snappier. DeeKay will have the final word though, as my iMac is pretty fast anyway. :)

BTW it seems when you close the editor window it's gone forever although you can save & continue editing in the preview window it's still a bit of a nag. Also, a shortcut (cmd+s) would be nice for save as well as displaying the current x/y char position (at least for us coders :) along the pixel coordinates. Also please get rid of the MDI interface next. :) Otherwise, keep up the good work! Once breakpoint is over I'll think about how to incorporate Oswald's conversion stuff from P1 and I guess by then you'll implement FLI/IFLI/drazlace/etc. :)

Edit: Duh, getting rid of the MDI stuff is next on your list, great! Should read before posting...

Edit #2: scrolling in the editor window doesn't work now with the mouse wheel (it used to work at least vertically) but hopefully it'll be a non-issue with the tab-interface. Also, most (probably all) my update bugs are gone, let's wait for DK's confirmation.
2009-03-02 08:49
Skoe
Account closed

Quote:
BTW it seems when you close the editor window it's gone forever although you can save & continue editing in the preview window it's still a bit of a nag.

That's a feature: After closing your hours-of-work-file without having it saved you can at least wave good-bye... Ahem, I noticed it but didn't want to fix it until I removed the MDI stuff.

Quote:
Also, a shortcut (cmd+s) would be nice for save

I'm also a keyboard user. There should be a keyboard shortcut for almost everything. I'll have a look at those of P1 and think about using similar. Or are there better ideas? (Please don't ask for making them configurable, I don't have that many time)

Quote:
as well as displaying the current x/y char position (at least for us coders :) along the pixel coordinates

Yep.

Quote:
Edit #2: scrolling in the editor window doesn't work now with the mouse wheel (it used to work at least vertically) but hopefully it'll be a non-issue with the tab-interface. Also, most (probably all) my update bugs are gone, let's wait for DK's confirmation.

Search for #ifdef MC_NOT_YET. It's not implemented fully, that's why it's commented out. I plan to do scrolling controlled by moving the mouse to the edge of the window. Have to try it first to see how it feels.

So, have to go to work now. Thanks for your test.
2009-03-11 22:05
Alias Medron

Great tool!
don't know why but i like it more than project one..

only one request ..

is it possible change the keys for color selection to the keys used in amica paint?? (i paint for over 15 years in amica paint and some habbits are hard to change)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
Dymo/G★P
Acidchild/Padua
Mikron
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Guests online: 125