Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Option to flag a date as "uncertain"?
2005-09-27 18:00
tlr

Option to flag a date as "uncertain"?

There are a lot of entries not having any dates set, especially group founding-and disbanding-dates. Often the date is not known, but in many cases an approximate date/year could be guessed. If it was possible to flag a date as "uncertain" those entries would be easy to place in time. This would make it a lot easier to distinguish different groups and sceners with the same name. The statistics of entries during the early years would also benefit from this.
This should be combined with an option to search for entries with "uncertain" and <unknown> dates.
2005-09-27 18:23
Perff
Administrator

Another idea which have been discussed internally among the CSDb staff. :)
I think it was KBS who originally pointed out, that it is often the case that people don't know the exact date/year, and don't write anything.

What we came up with was that we would add two new dates (or a flag as suggested here) to all date-related entries, and these "start" and "end" dates would state a time where the submitter were sure that fx. some scener was member of a specific group.

A small example:

A         B            C            D
------------------------------------------------> time
   |         |            |            |
 The exact   |            |         The exact date
 date a scener            |        the scener left
 joined a group           |        the group
 (unknown)   |            |         (also unknown)
             |            |
      A date some       Another date
      remembers that    one is sure he
      the scener was    was member

What we want is the dates A & D, but they are unknown. However someone remembers the dates B & C, and with the flag system they can now enter these dates.

Actually I can't remember what stopped us(me) from coding this feature. Probaly lack of time as usual. :)

Any thougts?
2005-09-27 18:36
tlr

That seems like a good idea! You should have the same for releases aswell. In that case 'Y' is the actual (unknown) release date. 'X' will be "I'm sure it's not before this date" and 'Z' "absolutely not after this date".
Submitters can then shrink the dates with time.
2005-09-27 19:37
Perff
Administrator

Yes. Though about that also. However I think I'll start out slow, and start with the flag-feature for members og a group, found/disolve etc.
The reason that we made it so that one should enter a date with three drop-downs (year, month, day), was made because you then had the option to enter at least something even if you couldn't remember the exact date.
Is it really nessesary to be able to enter the X and Z dates for a release? (Just asking - it's quite a project to code such feature :) )

PS. I'm currently trying to make a new CSDb feature releasable (good enough for the public to see), which I think will make people enter more dates....
:)
2005-09-27 19:51
tlr

Quote: Yes. Though about that also. However I think I'll start out slow, and start with the flag-feature for members og a group, found/disolve etc.
The reason that we made it so that one should enter a date with three drop-downs (year, month, day), was made because you then had the option to enter at least something even if you couldn't remember the exact date.
Is it really nessesary to be able to enter the X and Z dates for a release? (Just asking - it's quite a project to code such feature :) )

PS. I'm currently trying to make a new CSDb feature releasable (good enough for the public to see), which I think will make people enter more dates....
:)

I think something like the X & Z feature or just a flag to say "1986, but not sure" is necessary. Look at the amount of releases that are completely undated. Usually you know roughly when you got it, what dates the other stuff on that disk had and so on... Often this quantized in years, like 1987 or 1988, 1986 or 1987, 1984 or 1985 and so on.
2005-09-27 20:19
Perff
Administrator

Know it's a crappy sugestion :), but what if people who knows a bit about the releasedate wrote this in the trivia or somewhere else?
2005-09-28 16:27
tlr

Quote: Know it's a crappy sugestion :), but what if people who knows a bit about the releasedate wrote this in the trivia or somewhere else?

Sure, but it's not very searchable. ;)

All I think is needed for the moment is a tickbox next to the release date that says it is uncertain, and a feature to search for such releases (and undated ones).
The date should be treated as a normal date by all other functions. Maybe it could be useful to have some statistics about uncertain dates aswell.
2006-08-20 09:58
El Stocko

I was thinking that this was something that's needed and was about to start a thread on it, but it looks like it's already been discussed.

Yes, I've added 70-odd new releases and have only been able to give dates for maybe half a dozen of them. I know the rest are from around 1986/1987 but there's no option for approximate or "circa" dates. So the majority of release are undated. And as the "Sort Credits" option defaults to sorting by release date it looks messy. I could probably give the sequence in which releases for some sceners/groups were made, but not the dates.

Any updates on this feature would be appreciated.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CentralperK/Patagonia
Kruthers
Guests online: 89
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)