Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Posting Drop Box Link for Beta Test Game : Dungeon Realm Revisited
2013-01-14 03:21
Hakman
Account closed

Posting Drop Box Link for Beta Test Game : Dungeon Realm Revisited

Greetings All! I'm new here, so please excuse me if I was not able to readily find this information elsewhere. I have a Beta version of a game that I would like to post. I've been keeping it in a DropBox account so the current bugfix is always available from one location. If I were to post this as a release, can I simply link to the DropBox file, provided I never change the name and break the link? I believe when I replace the file for updates, the link should remain the same.

The game is called Dungeon Realm Revisited, and it's a modern makeover of a game I wrote back when I was 16. Back in 2007, I discovered the original version had somehow made it onto the Internet. But I found it somewhat of an embarrassment, and really frustrating to play. Missing the "good ole days" of C64 land, I decided to remake it. I had a lot of fun making the new version. Let me tell you, having only 38K to work with (Blitz! Compiled BASIC) will make your coding tight! I had a lot of fun and it's time to share...

If you want to check it out, here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97467805/DungeonRealm2.zip

Thanks for providing a forum and database of all things Commodore. I had no idea there were so many of us out there! Thanks again for your time and for providing a place to share.

:-)

-*- Hakman -*-
2013-01-14 08:40
MagerValp

Hi!

Short answer: no, you can't add an entry and keep updating the download link (specifically rule section V, item 7.9 :).
Also, check 8.1.1 and 3.2:

http://csdb.dk/help.php?section=rules

PS: Beta_011313 hangs if you try to list players on disk without creating one first. It also appears to hang when I leave the safety of the village and begin my descent - loads for a bit but nothing happens.
2013-01-14 18:59
Hakman
Account closed

Thank you for the quick reply and the bug post. I will carefully re-read the rules and post further questions regarding CSDB use to this thread. I knew about the duplicate version rule but wasn't sure how to handle sharing Betas. Perhaps this is the wrong place to post an unfinished game. Or maybe I should just start a thread under a different forum and people can just access the link as you did. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

I appreciate you taking a look at the game. I just tested the release I placed on the DropBox link and it loads the Dungeon fine with WinVICE 2.2. What emulator are you using? We can take this to email since it's off topic: dungeonrealm@earthlink.net.

:-)

Thanks!

2013-01-14 20:37
bugjam

Hi Hakman,
my suggestion would be to upload a stable beta here, and put a link to the repository into the production notes, so that people can check for progress. And once you think it is worth a new release, just create one.
Also check out the forum at http://www.lemon64.com/ , which is much more game-oriented than csdb - you might find betatesters, help and support there as well.
The game could become nice, but a modified charset is a must (I could even provide one, if needed), and some graphics would be great - check out http://www.eway10.de/DK2/DunkleKatakomben2.html for a game also done in Basic, but including graphics. The author is also a nice guy. :)
And kudos for becoming active on the C64 again!
Cheers,

Bugjam
2013-01-15 13:27
MagerValp

Quoting Hakman
Or maybe I should just start a thread under a different forum and people can just access the link as you did.

I would suggest posting in the forum here and on lemon when you have a new beta.

Quote:
I just tested the release I placed on the DropBox link and it loads the Dungeon fine with WinVICE 2.2. What emulator are you using?

x64sc 2.4 with Action Replay mk VI.
2013-01-15 17:42
Hakman
Account closed

Thank you bugjam for the good suggestions. I like your idea about the modified charset. I did this a few times back in the day and it would be fun to re-learn how to do it again. My initial concern had been memory limitations for each module (they barely compile as it is). But now that I think about it, I should have space on D1 to add the charset mod code after displaying the Intro. If I remember correctly, it will keep the same set until I warm boot and the default charset is copied from ROM. I've also considered adding graphics, perhaps like the 1st person dungeon views from Ultima 4. Maybe with some Sprites for the Monsters. Perhaps I should make the final release a "30th Anniversary Edition" as I ran out of time to truly make this one the "25th". Anyway, I appreciate the tips and your time taken to help me out.

I'll also checkout lemon64 for possible beta testers. I've been on the site before and it seems more appropriate for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks also to MagerValp. I will try my game with your emulator and see if I can figure out why it hangs loading the Dungeon.

I truly appreciate your time and suggestions. I know I'm not really much of a coder compared to you guys - the only assembly I ever coded was on the Apple 2e (a very simple Bi-Plane game that I made for my computer class when I was 15 ). But it makes me happy to know that there are so many of us out there who still enjoy this classic platform. Again, thank you for the tips and feedback.

Respectfully,
-*- Hakman -*-
2013-01-16 10:40
Adam

Can you use Dropbox 'folders' on CSDb? That way you can have direct access to all revisions of any code/data etc used.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Apollyon/ALD
Krill/Plush
JEZ
Guests online: 77
Top Demos