Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > X2016 Competitions: Your Input Wanted!
2016-02-16 20:07
Burglar

X2016 Competitions: Your Input Wanted!

The 28th of october is still far away but getting closer and closer. The organizers have been getting busy and are now well underway to get everything sorted out for another smashing X!

Since entry delivery and running the compos at X14 went quite smooth and voting is now done in realtime, we believe we may have room for 1 or 2 more (small/fun) c64 competitions. Like a PETSCII compo or a 4k compo, or maybe you guys have an idea?
Or perhaps you think the straightforward demo/music/gfx compos are enough.

Let us know :)

... 214 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-02-20 01:31
CRT

I like X because it's C64 exclusive and it's the Olympics for C64 demos so to say. The X2014 organization was spot on and simple, from a visitor perspective at least. Even the catering was good.

Graphics-, Music- and Demo-compo. Doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Perhaps give the one-file demo guys some recognition; not everyone can muster a disk side or more. These could still be part of the main demo competition but tagged differently. A one-filer can get a rank in the overall demo compo and a rank as a one-filer.

The real challenge then is to make a one-filer that can beat the multi-filers and get two trophies :-)
2016-02-20 02:49
PAL

WORD! CRT!
2016-02-20 03:14
PAL

We have a REU demo on top of the one file demos - So yes it would be hard to make more true categories... it is a fantastic demo on top of that list... but is it a a better demo than one inside true c64... so I also think we should just stay with the compo as it is maybe after all. When boundries are this blurry there is no way you could have hw for all and working for all different stuffs I guess?

It is very cool to be total true also. c64 stock... run it or leave it!
2016-02-20 06:38
Carrion

@jammer no offence intended....

For the compo, what aboyt a remake of this pic compo?
Compopic

Theres even a forum thread already
First CSDb "Unintended cool picture pixelling challenge"
2016-02-20 12:18
Digger

Prerecording demos sucks. I know it's practical but then why not just make videos?

Best C64 demo video compo?
2016-02-20 12:34
chatGPZ

excellent logic there, respect
2016-02-20 13:45
Carrion

Quote: Prerecording demos sucks. I know it's practical but then why not just make videos?

Best C64 demo video compo?

I have to agree with Groepaz here. It's not about making video.

Go to Revision (I only was on BP once) and check how well organized the compos are. I was blown away how much it influences the overall experience of the party
2016-02-20 15:06
soci

Prerecording demos sucks. I know it's practical but then why not just make videos? Best C64 demo video compo?

That gave me ideas! Please forgive the trolling, but I must push this a bit further ;)

<trolling>
Why not just record straight from an emulator? Apparently some people are on the opinion that blurred images suck, so therefore I assume even s-video is not crisp enough. Or the other way round, some effects work better with more blurring or without pal mixing. And there are no proper scanlines on beamers either and it's difficult to find ones without de-interlacing.

Also some graphicians have their favourite palettes for drawing in cross platform tools. Therefore showing the result on a real machine would not represent the art in it's finest form. So we should allow png versions to compete on compos. Using proper colour profiles could solve the skewed saturation/contrast problems as well. And no more flickering of interlaced pictures.

Some musics just don't sound the same as at home or like in the cross platform tool it was originally composed in. Why not just submit lossless encoded versions to make sure it's the right SID revision/emulation? I'm sure some post processing wouldn't hurt either to compensate for the room acoustics.

And it's 2016 already so why bother to travel at all when the whole could be done over the Internet for less cheaper and without wasting time on travelling? Like a huge video conference or so, straight from your sofa, or from where ever you are with your mobile.

Some non-intrusive advertising played between entries and SMS voting (only 2 EUR+standard network fees) could pay the bill for the prices easily.
</trolling>

Wohoo, the possibilities are endless. I better stop here, sorry everyone ;)

And yes, recording makes sense and is not cheating. It make things predictable and safe for both organizers and participants.

It ensures that your work will not crash at the compo because your new crappy loader fails at the wrong moment when it finally meets the real world. Contrary earlier testing by the organizers, cleaned heads, adjusted speed and the finest disks written on the same drive. Probably the reason why a 1541U is used here.

But no risk no fun ;)
2016-02-20 15:19
Jammer

@cArrion - no offence taken, naturally - just a regular sword fight and pint of beer afterwards :D

@Digger - you've just brought 'far fetched' expression to the entirely new level :D

To forestall all conspiracy theories - THE ORGS DO ALL RECORDING from delivered entries at party place way before compos and compo machines are still there for any kind of emergency (and for recording process, obvously :P). Things clear now? ;)
2016-02-20 16:59
Perplex

Quoting Groepaz
wildcompo without compo recording.... yeah. schedule another day for that then :o)

+1 for one more day.
Previous - 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | 23 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mason/Unicess
Rock/Finnish Gold
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 153
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)