Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > X2016 Competitions: Your Input Wanted!
2016-02-16 20:07
Burglar

X2016 Competitions: Your Input Wanted!

The 28th of october is still far away but getting closer and closer. The organizers have been getting busy and are now well underway to get everything sorted out for another smashing X!

Since entry delivery and running the compos at X14 went quite smooth and voting is now done in realtime, we believe we may have room for 1 or 2 more (small/fun) c64 competitions. Like a PETSCII compo or a 4k compo, or maybe you guys have an idea?
Or perhaps you think the straightforward demo/music/gfx compos are enough.

Let us know :)

... 214 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-02-20 23:00
chatGPZ

ppl drool all over "concerts" consisting of pressing play on laptop and then waving LED fingers in the air
2016-02-20 23:02
Jammer

@Groepaz - now that was a hard slap. I guess we can expect one live performance less now :P
2016-02-20 23:05
chatGPZ

i just find the comparision beyond silly. recording a demo (properly) and then playing it back for the audience changes exactly nothing. you wouldnt event notice if you didnt know it. comparing it with a life performance of a band playing on stage is just silly.
2016-02-21 07:11
Brush

Well "beyond silly" is a good argument. It has a good property of being generic and could be used any any context and any discussion. Risking the possibility of being served with another generic reply let me explain you one difference between "live" and "playback" that i'm referring to and you seem to miss: the possibility of error, mistake or a force majeure. Which you remove by recording. So the whole difference is not if anybody would notice when everything goes smoothly - then in both cases nobody would notice.
I'm not saying i wouldn't enjoy a good demo, when it's played as a video. Not at all. I'm just saying that it's a different feeling.
2016-02-21 08:31
soci

Solution: just use a network connected windows pc for playback. The trill will be still there:

Will it play the recording of my demo without stalls/tearing at full frame rate or not?

As I remember Breakpoint used some special rack mounted studio recorder for older machines. Not sure if it was played back without frame-rate conversion or not.

As a solution we could ban scrolls and interlace stuff! ;) Helps to avoid those 30s pictures complained about above as well ;)
2016-02-21 12:29
chatGPZ

Quote:
I'm not saying i wouldn't enjoy a good demo, when it's played as a video. Not at all. I'm just saying that it's a different feeling.

you would'nt even notice, if not someone would tell you before. and yes, being part of several compo teams with and without recording in the past, i know the difference very well. and i have also heard every silly argument for and against it, no need to repeat them :)

as said before, i am all for running C64 stuff "live" on the compo setup, let it crash, and then skip to the next entry. as long as complaints from the contestants are directed to you, of course :)
2016-02-21 14:40
PAL

Burglar: Here is my first response to your post.

2sid, and even a unlimited amounts of sids would be fun, like just mount up like 30 sid voices and compose all the way... I would love that... and the petscii also. A more weird one would be a sprite compo - still sprites with plexer and a animation sprite compo, run from c64 without screen on... just sprites (and rasterbars maybe)... suggestions only!

Just if it got lost in all the bullshit on here.
2016-02-21 15:18
Hoogo

About recording: On the last MS I handled the C64 stuff nearly every demo was crashing during recording, and no change of hardware could fix that. Whatever scene spirit was in the power network that day, I'm glad that recording could keep it away from the show.

Just check before the party that the recording has no problems with interlace, there was a TP that messed with that. And check problems with 50Hz in these modern times.

Sprite compo sounds nice. Another suggestion: Levels for a game engine?
2016-02-21 19:49
Burglar

Heh, kinda interesting how this thread has derailed a bit, but good to see many suggestions and also some useful discussions.
Obviously, we will not pre-record anything for multiple reasons, it is kinda impossible timewise anyway. This also rules out a wild-compo imho. And besides, we are c64-only for a reason.

What's also important, is the expected amount of entries. X compos are really about who is best in the scene and a compo with only a few entries is too easy to win :)

I'd say a PETSCII compo is a go, for all the right reasons (truly c64, big amount of entries, does not cost a whole lot of time and it'll be fun:).

2SID, I'm not sure yet, and besides, need to discuss it with the other orgs first.

And then there's the idea of splitting off onefile demos. Hmmm, it sounds a bit drastic I think, and wouldn't it cannabalize the main event too much? Or maybe smaller teams would be more likely to enter, who would otherwise skip making a demo?
Judging from previous compos, there really is no need to split them up, imho.
2016-02-21 20:00
Smasher

then do a intro compo instead of the onefiledemo one. 1 min max show each entry.
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | 23 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Freeze/Blazon
kbs/Pht/Lxt
hedning/G★P
Apollyon/ALD
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Røly/Mayday!