Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Random topic closures
2018-04-05 06:48
Oswald

Random topic closures

"Adam summed things up nicely and now another pointless thread about voting at CSDb comes to a close.

(read: Things aren't going to change)"

I am tired too about that topic, but just because *you* dont like it, its no reason to close it. This moderator function is abused way too much.

... 57 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-04-05 19:36
The Overkiller
Account closed

IMHO the problem sometimes is the lack of written feedbacks than votes public or not, but anyway, a compromise could be to allow an entry creator to choose a certain voting system: only public, only anonym, mixed ...
2018-04-05 19:42
Joe

What Hein said.
2018-04-05 20:02
Moloch

Quoting Zirias
Of course, as the now closed thread showed, there's no consensus (yet?) about what should best be done to "fix" the voting, so it's at least possible that further discussion could be good for something...

Unlikely as this is the 29th public thread about the *insert your pet complaint* voting system at CSDb.

Like iAN said, if people are sending you nasty messages about your votes pass it along to a moderator. Those people aren't needed here and the staff will take action.
2018-04-05 20:03
rail slave

How often is the system getting abused though ?

I've been pretty prolific and tbh, I only really have the one persistent down voter (who I have actually come to treasure and who obviously has much much higher hopes for my abilities, I work to maybe someday impress him/her)

Surely It's one or two people.(these days) ?

But yeah, embrace the down votes... even those people can be blown away by a release that simply cannot be denied.

That's what I'm working toward.

I think a cool solution would be, to get the privilege of voting you MUST comment, in this way you can explain why you gave stuff a 7 or whatever.
2018-04-05 20:12
iAN CooG

> you MUST comment, in this way you can explain why you gave stuff a 7 or whatever.

You are assuming that a comment reflects one's vote.
I've seen people praising in comment and then voting 1 anonymously.
2018-04-05 20:17
Moloch

Quoting iAN CooG
You are assuming that a comment reflects one's vote.
I've seen people praising in comment and then voting 1 anonymously.

Yeah, gotta love that sorta thing

... and no, requiring people to "explain their vote" isn't a great idea
2018-04-05 20:27
Shine

Less voters -> less accurateness statistically
More voters -> more accurateness statistically

But i really think, most of the voting people make "fair" votes.
2018-04-05 20:50
Joe

What Shine said.

Just one remark more on the subject as I am keen on keeping words to a minimum these days, as this after all is just a database (not the scene, not the biggest chart of any discmag) with me being the top time voter:

If you cared about voting or even browsing through some of those tons of fantastic releases laying around here from deep 80:ies to the latest. You would be amazed at how much brilliant results lay in the c64 history, the legacy. I am quite confident that if more people like me (at least a head of 4 more) would give as much attention, the canonic feature of that legacy would give you quite different results than the current.

Vote more, if you care, but more importantly, review more of the fantastic content, which actually is stored, and continuously being uploaded onto this platform and enjoy!
2018-04-05 20:57
Cruzer

Quoting Shine
But i really think, most of the voting people make "fair" votes.
Agree, although a bit high. Upvoting is a bigger problem than downvoting. It's like 10 means great, 9 is ok and everything below is shit. Maybe it would be an idea to have a description of each score to remind the voters to use the whole scale, e.g.

10: Highly innovative and perfect
9: Very good
8: Good
5: Average
1: Very bad

This would remind people that on average, their votes should be 5. Of course you should be able to figure that out yourself, but I don't even do that myself because of the way the scores are perceived and I don't want to look like a downvoter. Maybe it's time to go back to anonymous mode :)
2018-04-05 21:04
rail slave

Quote: What Shine said.

Just one remark more on the subject as I am keen on keeping words to a minimum these days, as this after all is just a database (not the scene, not the biggest chart of any discmag) with me being the top time voter:

If you cared about voting or even browsing through some of those tons of fantastic releases laying around here from deep 80:ies to the latest. You would be amazed at how much brilliant results lay in the c64 history, the legacy. I am quite confident that if more people like me (at least a head of 4 more) would give as much attention, the canonic feature of that legacy would give you quite different results than the current.

Vote more, if you care, but more importantly, review more of the fantastic content, which actually is stored, and continuously being uploaded onto this platform and enjoy!

Joe, how I long for more than a sentence from someone as talented and informed as you are :)

We need your unabridged feedback !
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Martin Piper
Acidchild/Padua
Didi/Laxity
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Guests online: 136
Top Demos