Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 Codebase
2008-06-28 10:55
Frantic

C64 Codebase

Hello!

It was a while ago now that C64 Codebase Wiki opened its doors. I would just like to encourage good coders sympathetic with this project to actually add some code there. This is important in order to keep the quality of the site. I feel that the quality is somehow fading a little with the stuff that has been added during the last 6 months, to generalize a little.

If you are a decent coder: Just think for a moment about all those sources that you have lying around on your C64 disks and PC harddrives. Codebase needs you!

http://codebase64.org/doku.php

If someone feel like donating some cool stuff, I could use that as prices in some kind of add-good-stuff-to-codebase-competition or so.

A good codebase is a good base for the future C64 scene! ;)

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-04 16:36
Frantic

Oswald: There IS a page for requests: http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=wishlist

Nobody really uses it though. I added a note about the wish list page on the front page of the wiki now to encourage people to use it.

You got a point concerning the voting. It is indeed not clear that a lot of people would start to contribute more to the wiki just because there are votes on this and that article which state that "this is a bad article" or such. HCL's suggestion of more content-loaded statements (rather than number-votes) is perhaps a key here — a way to leave feedback rather than just some general voting. Perhaps I should look into re-enabling the discussion plugin again. Last time I tried it it ended up being exploited by "hackers"/spammers.. Perhaps some bugs are fixed by now..

That being said, I don't see any reason to panic regarding the state of Codebase64. Fact is that a lot of people seem to find it very useful, even though everything in this world can of course always get better.. :)
2011-05-04 17:40
Count Zero

Frantic: is there some special pages as mediawiki provides them? can the "trace" be disabled? :)

Another approach in adding to the content would be to add selected articles from transactor, magic disk and others to the mags section - or at least list them more direct than: "DL it all here and see for yourself" :).

2011-05-04 20:59
Frantic

@C0: Sorry.. didn't understand your question. Can you rephrase?

Regarding mag articles as a source for content I think that is a good idea. Many mag articles are quite short and perhaps not that up to date though... but still. There is this other wiki which is focusing on transcribing old c64 mag articles. If someone has the time to dive into that to find those articles that are relevant for codebase64, that would be very nice.
2011-05-04 22:14
Count Zero

Which one of them? :)

When browsing through codebase a "Trace" of recently visited pages is building up. E.g. "Trace: » start » base » vic » links ". IMHO thats just annoying :)

As for "Special Pages" I of course mean things such as "recent changes" which I saw, but I seem to miss pages such as "All Pages", "Missing Pages" and such?

As for transcribing - even when not caring much about an actual transcription a rip-off from a scanned PDF with the article excerpted and just a short note often helps perfectly.

Shameless ego-xample:
http://rr.c64.org/wiki/File:The_Transactor_Vol09_01_1988_Sep_Wa..

2011-05-05 06:04
Frantic

Yo.. Trace can be disabled easily. I am not completely in love with that function either, but on the other hand I've started to use it just because it is there. :)

Regarding mags, it seems that I read your previous post too quickly. I thought you referred to disk mags, but now I see that you refer to printed mags.. I guess one could add PDF's then, yep..
2011-05-23 23:11
St0fF

I hope my few lines added to codebase are OK and useful. I assume Ninja has no objections, as his original source was published anyways.

Just have a look at http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=the_ninja-method:nmis_and_dis.. and maybe place it somewhere else in the tree - I just thought it's a very intelligent stable-do-something-approach - so it'll fit into jackasser's series.
2011-05-24 05:34
JackAsser

Quote: I hope my few lines added to codebase are OK and useful. I assume Ninja has no objections, as his original source was published anyways.

Just have a look at http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=the_ninja-method:nmis_and_dis.. and maybe place it somewhere else in the tree - I just thought it's a very intelligent stable-do-something-approach - so it'll fit into jackasser's series.

Just wanted to mention an additional advantage of using NMI-pages: If you can loose one cycle more you can easily have one extra page (with a jitter of 0-8 cycles) and thus automagically handle different CIA versions without detection.
2011-05-24 10:49
Frantic

Stoff: Thanks for the contribution. Didn't have time to check in detail right now, but according to my brief glance now it seems to be stuff of the good kind. Do not feel hesitant to make the changes that you propose.
2011-05-24 10:54
Oswald

indeed, great article by Stoff, the kind of I'd like to see more often.
2011-05-24 16:45
St0fF

Thanks for all the flowers. It indeed helps a lot if you code stuff you want to explain yourself. I mean, I had Ninjas source, but I restarted from scratch - it was also my first own "half variance delay" routine in there (3 A4-pages of sick and mostly wrong calculations ...).

I guess one has to turn 30 to feel the fun again, just the way it was with 15 years ...

@Jackasser: I've tried a lot to loose another cycle - but failed. How would you get 8 cycles of jitter?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
sebalozlepsi
Fred/Channel 4
A3/AFL
Vent
Stablizer/ExCeSs/DMX