Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Balloonacy 2 idiocy
2005-12-05 22:53
Wanderer
Account closed

Balloonacy 2 idiocy

I have to feel so bad for Richard, being brave enough to release his own game without trainers.

Within 24 hours of his releasing a game, there appears a 2 trainer version. An hour or two later a 3 trainer version. The next day there's a 4 trainer version and finally a 6 trainer version.

I'll hold out for the Nostalgia +20 version with hi score saver. *groan*

Richard must feel like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie feel when the National Enquirer vultures swoop down upon them. Granted you're open game when you release something but it's pretty laughable to see so many people pounce upon Richard's game like a homeless man chasing a bagel rolling down the street.

Let's clear this up to save time:

MEGA TRAINER
=============
Change $7003 to JMP $2c00

2c00 jsr $70a1
2c03 jsr $ffe4
2c06 cmp #$2a
bne XX
inc $09
XX rts

This plays the music while giving you the key when you hit the star key.
======================

Infinite Lives: EA EA EA (three NOP's) at $394e

==========================

Infinite time: EA EA EA at $3ba1

==========================
Sprite Collision off = RTS at $3a9d

Save $e000-$f000 when you go to save the memory.

We need a starting level option and a button to hold down for temporary sprite collision bypass. I'd laugh but I'm sure in a day this WILL happen. Mark my words.

*sighs* Note to Richard, perhaps in your next game you could include a hidden trainer with every conceivable option. Granted your game was difficult to play but I hate to see it re-released without your intro and directory tree.

PS. All the above was done without looking at any of the versions out there. I became bored :)

... 192 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-12-15 07:09
Wanderer
Account closed

<Message ignored>

Did somebody say something? lol

_______
"And remember... Just say KNOW to drugs!"
Damian Caynes (stoner) - Mary Jane Flashbacks - Sept 1994

2005-12-15 07:26
Zyron

The skip function is to skip $d000 when linking files below & over $d000.
2005-12-15 07:26
Slartibartfast
Account closed

Quote: <Message ignored>

Did somebody say something? lol

_______
"And remember... Just say KNOW to drugs!"
Damian Caynes (stoner) - Mary Jane Flashbacks - Sept 1994

Hey, would someone who tracks down old posts on Usenet be considered a fan, or some kind of freak stalker?

Either way, I'm flattered, Wankerer. Also, feel free to make me the focus of your insanity again, it must make you feel much better about being considered a pretentious froot loop by almost everyone else here.

BTW, you missed the best one, "Turn on, Tune in and Light Up!"
2005-12-15 08:37
CreaMD

Wheew and I was afraid somebody will accuse me of hijacking of this thrhead. After all, this is not my show this time.
2005-12-15 09:43
Slartibartfast
Account closed

Quote: Wheew and I was afraid somebody will accuse me of hijacking of this thrhead. After all, this is not my show this time.

Hey, you're hijacking this thread! ;)
2005-12-15 17:58
Fungus

You fail to understand Wanderer...

No one is desperate for anything to release, when a good release comes along, and they do, we release them.

We also release all the crap and fluff, and sometimes have a bit of good ole scene fun with it.

I also fail to see what some lamer label release which was done as a joke to begin with (haha, jokes on you!) has anything to do with cracking old games... that's a different topic, please keep it to another thread.

You also don't understand sarcasm aswell... why? why are you so damn serious about defending the old scene? what the hell? I don't get it... and seriously, neither do most of the folks ! Do you feel threatened? Well... don't, we're not erasing any scene history or anything... is that it?

lighten up already!

2005-12-15 21:29
Wanderer
Account closed

Quote: You fail to understand Wanderer...

No one is desperate for anything to release, when a good release comes along, and they do, we release them.

We also release all the crap and fluff, and sometimes have a bit of good ole scene fun with it.

I also fail to see what some lamer label release which was done as a joke to begin with (haha, jokes on you!) has anything to do with cracking old games... that's a different topic, please keep it to another thread.

You also don't understand sarcasm aswell... why? why are you so damn serious about defending the old scene? what the hell? I don't get it... and seriously, neither do most of the folks ! Do you feel threatened? Well... don't, we're not erasing any scene history or anything... is that it?

lighten up already!

>When a good release comes along, and they do, we release
>them. We also release all the crap and fluff

Exactly, thank you for being the one to say it.

You release all the "crap".

Games that the world played 20 years ago do not need to be re-released in the year 2005 just because you can find the original protected version. It simply makes no sense unless it is a bugfix. We don't need 20 additional trainers or a level packed copy.

>I also fail to see what some lamer label release which was
>done as a joke to begin with (haha, jokes on you!) has
>anything to do with cracking old games

The joke is on me? Apprently you have to go back and re-read what I said. I understood that Urine's release was a joke. I mean reading the scrolltext alone is proof enough, if nothing else. Yet it indicates what I've said all along. People are desperate for releases. That is what it has to do with cracking old games. I didn't think the c64 scene today would let my version rest, no, someone would feel the need to surpass that - and any other future TND release for that matter. It will never end.

In the old days once the game was released, you moved on to other new releases. Today that is the opposite, once you're done with an old piece of crap you go and find another old piece of crap.

You also seem to forget when I took Forbidden Forest and released that with a trainer, what happened? While it was "for fun" CSDB reacted with hostility. Why? It didn't beat the other versions in trainers. So in essence you have to top someone elses version - that doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like competing.

Let's put aside the bug fix issue. There's an original of Ghostbusters, Maniac Mansion and Cybernoid sitting in your closet. The world has seen these games, played them to death and really doesn't need one more version. It won't make any difference if you had a few more trainers, the novelty is long gone. Why bother? Sure it's fun but it's also the only thing you can release because there is no new software coming in. What else are you going to release? So people live in the past, rehashing and rebashing old old old software. Cripes, I've even seen Compute's Gazette games with intros on them, now THAT is sad.

>why are you so damn serious about defending the old scene?
>what the hell? I don't get it.

I'm not necessarily defending it. I'm comparing it. I'm speaking about the NEW scene. A world in which nothing comes out except old crap. And what new stuff does come out, is so picked through that you see 10 different versions of it in the first 24 hours because people are so desperate to find a release. That is why I feel so strong, I don't see any challenge or really any fun in releasing old (say 1985) shit. None. Why do groups exist to crack what was already cracked? Sounds like scavengers going over slim pickings to me :) I think this paragraph will be your best clue as to why I feel the way I do.

Lastly, no I don't feel threatened. Most of the software out today was not originally released by my groups. Even the games that were, were already played and viewed by the c64 population when it was at it's maximum peak. It's not about erasing history..

I can not explain it any other way or any other number of times. I see what the scene was, and I see what it is today. And really it is quite sad that it has come down to going over slim pickings and rehashing old games, giving self congratulatory pats on the back, and praising one another. Training is no challenge. So when I see all this old software being released I can't help but shake my head in disgust at what the c64 scene has become.

>lighten up already!

I may say the same for everybody else. It is but an opinion, a minority opinion. An opinion much disagreed with, but I've earned my spot in the c64 scene whether you like me or hate me and you should respect the opinion.

I respect those who continue to crack old games and put them out, but I think it's an act of desperation and futility.

On this subject I shall say no more.

2005-12-15 22:03
The Overkiller
Account closed

You also seem to forget when I took Forbidden Forest and released that with a trainer, what happened? While it was "for fun" CSDB reacted with hostility. Why? It didn't beat the other versions in trainers. So in essence you have to top someone elses version - that doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like competing.

Ok, you consider oldie releasing is a waste of time, I totally don't agree but I "could" understand your point of view. But do you wanna know what is REALLY a waste of time ? Your version of forbidden forest. Fun or competition call it as ya want but the final goal is to try to improve even more an oldie, you didn't do that, so accept the critics.....
2005-12-15 22:32
Tch
Account closed

@Wanderer: I understand your standing and mostly agree.
But C64 games are still being played,believe it or not.
Many people don´t like the nowadays games and enjoy playing ancient shit.
Hence I appreciate the good neo-cracks of today.
Many games have been bug-fixed or improved in some way.
This is to be complemented!!
Not reduced to lameness..

On Lemon64 there are many people searching for an old game.
Most of them,just ´oldtime´ gamers..
Don´t they deserve the best version they can get?
2005-12-16 03:10
Fungus

Wanderer:

again, your confusing oldie cracking with 1st releasing , please stop.

and BRAND NEW decent games come out from time to time, which NO one has played before, shouldn't there be a nice version of these games coming out? And they do, go check GTW, protovision (although nicer titles aren't out yet), TMR's fine games, COSMOS's nice games, etc... so...

Also, I am not picking a fight with you, just trying to set the record straight. Getting different issue's confused is also a bit off.

I repeat, there is NO desperation. There is NO competition, so no body gives a fuck all about the 1st release pressure of old times, better to make a proper version to begin with.

TCH: Absolutely agree, there is still thousands of c64 gamers, and they deserve to play 100% bugfixed versions which don't take years to load, or take up to many (getting hard to find+expensive!) disks, becuase alot of people are still using real hw, and not just emulators.

And thanks :)

Previous - 1 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Yogibear/Protovision
Codey/Second Dimension
iceout/Avatar/HF
grennouille
Guests online: 75
Top Demos