Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Transparent submitting
2005-07-04 09:57
TDJ

Transparent submitting

In the last few days there have been several new, very incomplete entries, like cracks with only a name, a demo with a name & screenshot but no group etc. Appearantly these have been added by people who either don't understand the system, or don't care.

Since I know that it's possible for a select few (the staff, some 'trusted' visitors) to see who has added what, I'm wondering why this information isn't public. I realize we had a similair discussion when it came to the voting, but in this case the biggest argument against that (people who were afraid to vote because others might get angry with them) doesn't hold ground.

Unless ofcourse you're stupid enough to add just a name and nothing else, in which case you should burn in hell :)
2005-07-04 10:05
Hein

Hurray.. Hell is the right place for tough hackers like us..

Im not sure if transparancy will help prevent half entries being entered.. it only makes the idea of being send to hell by you a lot more exciting..
2005-07-04 10:48
hollowman

both tdj and zyron seem to be angry, so i think that argument does hold ground
2005-07-04 12:41
Steppe

That's plain stupid, right. Transparent submitting should be enabled, also because it would enable people to write PMs or emails to submitters to ask questions like "Are you sure there's yet another scener with the handle X, or have you just overseen handle id XY?".
2005-07-04 14:08
Scout

I totally agree with TDJ. Sometimes I almost eat myself up because the crap people upload; entries with complete disks with 10 demos instead of selecting the entry itself.

What about quality control/entry moderation?

---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-
http://www.deco-design.com/scl
2005-07-04 14:17
iopop

And as usual I agre with TDJ.

About quality control/moderating. I suggested to Cyberbrain or Perff a while ago having a moderating system like on discogs.com. Where you as a new member are not allowed to add that much entries in the begining but after submitting stuff you gets more points which makes you being able to enter more and more entries.
Also each submitted entry are verified by the moderators giving yes/no on the submitted entry, 5 moderator yes makes it a public entry. on a given no to an entry the moderator can give comments on what to change.

2005-07-04 14:22
Hein

Quote: I totally agree with TDJ. Sometimes I almost eat myself up because the crap people upload; entries with complete disks with 10 demos instead of selecting the entry itself.

What about quality control/entry moderation?

---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-
http://www.deco-design.com/scl

I do that too, complete disks, but I refer to the same disk if its allready available.. Zipped d64 are not that big anyway..
2005-07-04 18:08
Zyron

Being a long-time submitter on discogs.com I agree with iopop here, some kind of moderation-system might be needed to keep the database accurate & make sure bogus entries are kept out.
Last night I did a search on all demos without a file & got pretty upset to lots of entries that had nothing more than a demo name added. Some of the demos had such special names that I could easily find out which ones they were and add the missing info, f.ex. a couple of CFA demos.
2005-07-04 18:59
Tch
Account closed

I totally agree with the previous posts.

If someone feels like contributing,that´s cool!! 8)
But compare it to driving a car...

Sit down and put the key in. (entering the release)
Hit the accelerator. (upload the file)
Use the steeringwheel. (enter the details)
Shift gear. (enter the credits)
Hit the brake. (upload a screenshot)

Ofcourse it is nice to sit in a car..
But to get things moving... ;)

Ps..So where is the copper? ;P
2005-07-04 19:05
iopop

The only negative thing about the "discogs" style is that it will cause a slight delay when submitting brand new releases, since people have to valite every entry before they become public.

A solution to this could be that releases with release date not older than 7 days automatically by-passes the valitdation process and becomes public directly. This will ofcourse not stop people from submitting crap, but atleast they have to fill out the date...
2005-07-04 19:35
Zyron

Or, users known to submit correct information could add releases unmoderated.

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bugjam
Dr. Doom/RAD
Endurion
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
iAN CooG/HVSC
MWR/Visdom