Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Turrican 3
2004-08-29 14:46
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Turrican 3

Has anyone played Turrican 3? if so, what do you think :)

I've had a quick go, not had the time to have a proper go just yet. So far though i have mixed opinions. Credit where credit is due, the play does play like Turrican and Turrican 2. The graphics on level 1 seemed too much like Turrican and the 1st big (mid level) boss turned out to be a big fist, which was a bit of a let down, as after all, there is a big fist as a mid level boss during the first Turrican (although on the Turrican 3 the fist is animated).

The collision seems somewhat iffy at times, there appears to be no in game sound fx? and the screen glitches alot when lots of enemies appear on screen (although i was using an emu, so maybe this does not happen on real c64).

All in all, the game does seem like good fun. I will need to play some more to form more opinions /wec :)

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-08-30 17:42
Cruzer

How technical can it be? Each char can be multicolor or monochrome. If it's multicolor you can use three fixed colors plus a flexible color/char that can be #0-7, and in monochrome there's only one fixed color plus a flexible 0-7 color, and ofcourse double resolution. That's pretty much it, isn't it?

But I agree, it IS pretty tricky to make nice char gfx.
2004-08-30 17:43
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Character mode, isn't that 1 background color (fixed), 2 fixed colors and the 4th color can be changed on every character although can only use the first 8 colors out of the possible 16 (ie: black, white, red, green, cyan, blue, yellow and magenta) 256 characters (i am guessing the water is a scroll effect used on a single character while the water surface is an animation (were the animation frames in with the 256 or maybe pulled in from else where?)

Did Aeg use a combined character editor + map eidtor?
2004-08-30 17:48
cadaver

I guess the best thing (but also hardest) is to have somekind of an architectural vision, like AEG or Manfred did, as opposed to doing just some "game graphics" on request. So it's still easier to do all yourself, unless ideas are communicated via some sort of sketches or art bible..
2004-08-30 18:08
Graham
Account closed

@Cruzer: read your post again and you'll notice it IS pretty complicated. you needed a lot of words to explain it :)
ofcourse, you as programmer know it by the heart, but graphicians don't. and to do anything decent with it, you need to know it by the heart + have some extra talent.
2004-08-30 18:13
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I think this game is one of the best platformers ever made. I just wish you could pause+save the game anytime, because it's quite hard to play to end in one go.

The gfx is pretty good, I wonder how this is organized.. haven't really looked yet. The Return of Darkness intro stands for me as one of the best gfx demos ever made also.

The music is awesome! I don't even notice it's only 3 channels. KB, Jeff and Sonic really kick ass!

I met a few bugs, but I just wrecked my joystick and then it went ok again. I think these things should be easy to fix.

My deepest respects to all who made this game come to life, and especially to AEG, great work!!!!!

2004-08-30 18:18
_V_
Account closed

Of course, charset gfx require quite a bit of skill - I am aware of the technical limitations. But, I do think many graphicians in the past managed to do just fine (Just think of any scrolling action game with nice graphics - my personal favourite is Mayhem in Monsterland).

It also depends a bit on the flexibility of the coding involved - if you can create screen elements of variable character size (and not the horrible 5x5 char blocks in SEUCK) and have a good feeling about which type of element is important and which isn't, you _can_ expect some imaginative worlds, even from a graphician.

Sorry, just had to make a modest stand against all the coding power present here ;).

I also think WEC can do some pretty good backdrops if he puts his spirit behind it.
2004-08-30 19:06
Graham
Account closed

@_V_:

sorry but i have to disagree. there might be some good games but most of them either have plain 4 color charset gfx, and those who also use that extra color look like 4 colors + some other color here and there. mayhem in monsterland is one exception, and even there many levels look like typical 4 colors + some extra ones here and there.
2004-08-30 19:09
cadaver

I think it's a nice trick how AEG often uses colors $9 and $c on one side of some metallic evil structure and $6 (being the char color) and $c of other, fooled me many times thinking that the game is running in bitmapmode :)
2004-08-30 20:40
_V_
Account closed

@Graham: Well, umm, yeah, in the end, when you properly analyse them, they all look like 4colours + additional colours, even the Turrican+Katakis titles (since they usually *are* 4colours + additional highlights here and there). The trick is to use it to full effect, and there, there are quite a few games which succeed. Not just Mayhem, of course (indeed, the unhappy b/w worlds look as you say, which is logical, but the happy coloured worlds are another matter), we can add the other Apex brothers games as well, and I'd say Flimbo's Quest was quite nice, as was Genloc or Another World, Stormlord (although these last games use other techniques and are limited to sideways scrolling, but still, these worlds have to be built from smaller blocks), ...

Besides, the amount of colour trickery is not that important if the charset pixelling is done correctly and to the point, what is important is building beautiful structures out of a minimum of characters. Case in point: Armalyte, Hawkeye, Midnight Resistance, Rubicon, ...
2004-08-30 21:07
Wile Coyote
Account closed

If you take a look at Metroid that is where much of the inspiration for Turrican came from. The style is at times a mixture of different styled blocks that when put together create a great look. In Turrican there is a lot of use of either a Red, Blue or Purple hires 4 character parallax scroll layer. The other trick seems to use 2 of the 16 colors that cannot be used on the 4th changable color (middle grey and brown seems quite a common combo).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Angel of Death/Wiseg..
Guests online: 131
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Mojo  (9.7)