Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Top list for added screen shots?
2005-09-25 12:41
tlr

Top list for added screen shots?

First of all, I respect that not everybody wants to take the time to add screenshots.
Personally I think it's nice to have them, even for text-tools and similar. I guess I'm a visual kind of person. :)
Anyway, to motivate people that are adding screenshots, could we have a top list of which people added the most screenshots on the statistics page?

... 25 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-09-26 10:30
Sledge

I agree totally. It's fun to contribute with stuff when you see that others do the same!
2005-09-26 11:47
HCL

I hate that points idea. It's exactly the same as counting who has added the most entries. Stopid people will start adding empty entries just to get sub-famous.

The same shit happened after this years LCP! I checked csdb on the following monday, and all demos were already added :), but totally empty :(.

So why count added void?
2005-09-26 12:43
Nafcom

Quote: I hate that points idea. It's exactly the same as counting who has added the most entries. Stopid people will start adding empty entries just to get sub-famous.

The same shit happened after this years LCP! I checked csdb on the following monday, and all demos were already added :), but totally empty :(.

So why count added void?

Exactly. Incomplete entries or entries with invalid information would raise in CSDb? :(
2005-09-26 12:46
Nafcom

Quote: I think people get a lot of motivation adding stuff to csdb when they see others do the same. I know I do.
As an example, today I added a bunch of Michael Winterberg stuff. Zyron obviously got inspired to fill in with what he'd got (which was basically everything :). I filled in his additions with screen shots.
Zyron may ofcourse disagree with my hypothesis, in which case I appologize. :)
I agree bad things can happen if everything is motivated by top lists, but I believe this has more to do with the culture around the particular site.
It seems that the csdb crowd is fairly homogenous and try to acheive the same goal which is building an accurate database, atleast in my vision.

Screenshots: There are hell lot entries who were created by people who have no idea how to make a screenshot. a tiny thing which is ugly and if you click to zoom it it gets more ugly, such people should get punished.
2005-09-26 12:57
Steppe

Death to screenshot mutilators, exactly!
I mean, really, what's the point in resizing the emulator screenshots to the thumbnail size?
2005-09-26 13:51
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quote: Screenshots: There are hell lot entries who were created by people who have no idea how to make a screenshot. a tiny thing which is ugly and if you click to zoom it it gets more ugly, such people should get punished.

I think releases like that are mostly additions from beyond the birth of time, where CSDb only supported one screenshot size
2005-09-26 14:11
TDJ

Quote: I think releases like that are mostly additions from beyond the birth of time, where CSDb only supported one screenshot size

Yep - I know most of the Focus demos still have the 'small' size, because that was the only possibility back then.
2005-09-26 14:48
Steppe

Ok, I take back the death verdict in that case. ;-)
2005-09-26 16:08
tlr

Quote: I hate that points idea. It's exactly the same as counting who has added the most entries. Stopid people will start adding empty entries just to get sub-famous.

So why count added void?

Don't count the void. Count the content. e.g: the actual release binary, the screenshot etc...

One complication here is that csdb is used for two different purposes.
1. Contemporary releases.
2. Scene history.

I'm personally mostly interested in the scene history, although I enjoy the new stuff aswell.
I think number 2 will benefit the most from top lists, and with only a minor risk of people just adding stuff for points.
The stuff is already there just waiting to get added!
For number 1 the risk is probably a bit higher. You can invent an arbitrary number of non-existant releases just for points.
2005-09-26 16:11
tlr

Quote: Screenshots: There are hell lot entries who were created by people who have no idea how to make a screenshot. a tiny thing which is ugly and if you click to zoom it it gets more ugly, such people should get punished.

The real problem is often that the release is locked so it can't be fixed!
There are quite a few locked releases with incomplete info, missing screenshots and such. (though credits for a release can be changed anyway :) )
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
dstar/Fairlight
pastoelio
𝘁𝗡𝗚/FairLight
CA$H/TRiAD
Hagar/The Supply Team
DJ Space