Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > 256 byte compos / bifurcations / etc.
2003-02-04 15:38
Dr. Jay
Account closed

256 byte compos / bifurcations / etc.

This is a rambling post but I don't want to waste much topic space. I've seen some incredible fractals used on the Commodore 64 and used to be huge into CHAOS theory and truly believe it has huge implications for making "big" productions on small machines. One thing I've run across lately is the neat PC 256-byte competitions ...

http://www.256b.com/ ...

At any rate, people use some mathematics and exploit the x86 instruction set to have full, ray-traced demos with only 256 bytes of code.

First relevent question - I've been out of coding too long to make any educated guesses at this point. How hard would it be to take similar concepts and map them to the C=64? One of the most popular ones is the tube/zoomer that has ray-traced tubes. Now I know we can't render as quickly in the Commodore, we have to convert x,y coords to the 8-byte alignment, and of course we don't have the same color palette, but has anything been done to "unfold" complex graphics like that on the commie? When I see roto-zoomers with Mandelbrots on the commodore, are those really realtime mapped Mandelbrots?

Second question - has anyone toyed with this equation and mapped it on the C=64? x(n+1) = r * x(n) * (1 - x(n)) ?

This is a bifurcation diagram, a type of CHAOS algorithm. Start with a random 0 < x < 1 and seed 0 <= r <= 4.0, iterate this equation and then start plotting points. If you have x-coords set at r 0 ... 4.0 and you use x(n) in the equation to plot your y-coords, you can get a type of flower.

I was fooling with generating this, but I'm an idiot and don't even know how to emulate floating point math on the C= processor. But it'd be cool to see if someone else did.

Dr. Jay
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Airwolf/F4CG
alwyz/udi
CommodoreBlog
El Jefe/sidDivers
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught