Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #719 : Primary Star 2004
2004-08-15 09:15
TDJ

Event id #719 : Primary Star 2004

Just woke up after a short night sleep (got home around 6 this morning). Party was okay, not as many 'old schoolers' as last year but nice atmosphere and some pretty decent contributions to the competitions, esp. compared to last year.

The winners, as far as I remember them:
Demo = K2
Gfx = Deev/Onslaught
Music = Hein/Focus, Onslaught

Our (WWE) demo finished 2nd, unfortunately we weren't able to get it linked in time so we had to compete with a not-quite-finished party version. Still I'm quite happy with what was there, nothing too special but some nice design touches and made by the top of the current dutch demo scene, including a part by WVL. Yes, Focus & Xenon cooperating, I guess a few years ago nobody would have believed that this could happen :)

Many thanks to the organizers (Drake, Franky) for letting us compete, and understanding that under no circumstance we would want that version to be spread.
2004-08-15 15:52
Sorex
Account closed

"Don't you, forget about me ..." ;)

4Kb intro : WOW

I compare it to a little brother of X, same atmosphere etc just less people.
2004-08-15 15:54
TDJ

Quote: "Don't you, forget about me ..." ;)

4Kb intro : WOW

I compare it to a little brother of X, same atmosphere etc just less people.

I was too busy trying to remember stuff I forgot 10 years ago to watch the 4k compo, hence I didn't know about the entries and who won, sorry :)
2004-08-15 15:58
Sorex
Account closed

that's ok, had enough on my mind overthere aswell to finish that thing right before the deadline (new piccy pixeled overthere by Bud, stumbling on some really stupid bugs etc)

oh well, we're all human i guess so you're forgiven :)
2004-08-15 17:31
drake
Account closed

primary star was nice. and hey, thanx for being there guys. especially those from holland coz we all know that the dutch scene is rather small nowadays. yep, too bad some ppl didn't showed up or couldn't make it to join this party but we think it actually was a great party.

hope to see you next year. please don't stop with keeping us feedback and fine ideas.

-2 start press any key..where is the any key?-
2004-08-15 18:46
Cruzer

What place did the Optimus demo get? (Livetro/Anubis)
2004-08-15 18:48
TDJ

Quote: What place did the Optimus demo get? (Livetro/Anubis)

I think it finished last, not quite sure though.
2004-08-15 19:34
Exile

Livetro from anubis finished 3th place.

And bud finist first with his fast compo entry.

Its a shame that the people didn't stay for the prize giving. You"re missing something.

See you all next time.
2004-08-15 19:57
TDJ

Quote: Livetro from anubis finished 3th place.

And bud finist first with his fast compo entry.

Its a shame that the people didn't stay for the prize giving. You"re missing something.

See you all next time.

With all due respect - competition was finished around 2 o'clock in the night, counting votesheets was done around 3 (results where known just before i left), but according to WVL the prize ceremony still wasn't held around 11.30 the next morning .. that's more than 8 hours later.

So why the long wait? I can't think of one thing that would warrant me having to wait that long before returning home to spend some time with my girlfriend, who I love very much (and who is standing behind me as I type this).
2004-08-15 23:49
drake
Account closed

tdj, you are right. i agree with you and can deal with the idea that next time its much better to have the results known much faster and then we should have the end ceremony. something to remember for next year i guess...

-2 start press any key..where is the any key?-
2004-08-16 09:53
yago

Here are my 2€cent about P*:

The Music was of astonishing high Quality! There were 8 Entries and at least 5 Tunes are really GOOD (including a Herbie Hancock Cover).

Concerning "staying until prizegiving":
The main Problem was that the winners were known (at least to some Folks) right after the Counting.
Thats a big NO-NO, because it breaks the Suspense, which should not be done before price-giving.

After reaching home, I took a closer Look at the Prize-Bag, thanks Exile, its a really nice Collection :-)

All in all, it was a very nice Party, and the long traveling was worth it.

Have Fun,
Zed Yago
2004-08-16 10:04
Hein

I liked the music alot aswell. I was completely blown away by many of the competing tunes. Can't wait to enjoy the other tunes again on my stereo.
2004-08-16 10:12
TDJ

Quote: Here are my 2€cent about P*:

The Music was of astonishing high Quality! There were 8 Entries and at least 5 Tunes are really GOOD (including a Herbie Hancock Cover).

Concerning "staying until prizegiving":
The main Problem was that the winners were known (at least to some Folks) right after the Counting.
Thats a big NO-NO, because it breaks the Suspense, which should not be done before price-giving.

After reaching home, I took a closer Look at the Prize-Bag, thanks Exile, its a really nice Collection :-)

All in all, it was a very nice Party, and the long traveling was worth it.

Have Fun,
Zed Yago

So only people who stay are allowed to find out how they did? And those who did compete but had to go home for different reasons would just have to wait until whenever the organisation decides to finally make the full results public? Which in this case, still hasn't happened, even though they have been known since sunday night 3 o'clock?

And by the way, were are the rest of the productions? I know that we are still working on ours, but that was known before the competition started (else we wouldn't have competed at all). But apart from 1 picture & 1 tune (that fantastic Herbie Hancock cover by Hein) and a 4k, there's nothing here yet ..

And don't try to blow me off by saying I don't know what's needed to get everything in order after organizing a party, because I do know :) I've been there myself a couple of times, and at least 2 of the parties I organized were bigger than Primary Star (Joy+MGF+WWE in '88, X'95)
2004-08-16 10:42
LOGAN
Account closed

Yeah I was about to leave sunday when I was called back because they gave away some prices. I guess it was just forgotten in all the excitement.. But I also forgot myself else I would have asked when the results would be published.

I am waiting to get my hand on all the releases and also can't wait until some photo's and movies show up online somewhere...

Anyway I had a great time and looking forward to PS'05 :)

The Sid tunes were great. Well done to all participants.

Cheers :)
2004-08-16 10:53
Sorex
Account closed

a lot of people missed the free of charge search and collect fleemarket at the end.

finally got an Arcade joystick again grabbed out of a box with 50+ different types of joysticks, and a full bag of (non working) original tapes/disks which i got as compoprice :)

thanks Exile and the rest! :)
2004-08-16 12:10
Scout

How was that Bastian performance?

R.
2004-08-16 12:39
TDJ

Quote: How was that Bastian performance?

R.

Don't know, still waiting for the results.txt :)
2004-08-16 12:44
Sorex
Account closed

I heard it was great, too bad I missed it, I arrived at the partyplace friday night (or is that saturday) at 1am
i guess there excist a god afterall since they played his track on Studio Brussel when i was in my car driving to Holland it was weird since it was played inbetween several techno'ish tracks, that must 've been a sign ;)
2004-08-16 13:53
TDJ

Results are finally known. Now let me give Jayce a call to see how our demo's coming along :)
2004-08-16 15:22
drake
Account closed

try this ;-)

http://www.role64.com/primarystar/

you WILL succeed. here you can also get the wares.
2004-08-16 15:56
LOGAN
Account closed

And does anyone know when or if pictures and movies come online?
2004-08-16 16:44
TDJ

Just talked with Jayce, he had some personal stuff that prevented him from finishing the WWE demo, so I'll probably give it a try myself.

In other words: we are working on it, honest :)
2004-08-16 19:10
yago

I have never heard anything from Bastian before, and was bugfixing while he was djing (just to describe that I am not an expert for judging about the stuff he did)
The Performance was OK, and for me it sounded as if he was djing with real C64s, not PC-samples or something.
I have now listened to his CD ("Ready."), and can only advise SID-Lovers to buy it.
Its some kind of Funk/Soul/Easylistening, but with many C64 Effects.
I especially like ready., I fear that I will always hear this tune in my head when watching the cbm-basic prompt.
2004-08-16 19:19
LOGAN
Account closed

Here's his homesite. I love the interactive datasette on the Audio page. Indeed sounds cool :)

http://www.bastianmusic.nl/
2004-08-16 21:57
Jayce
Account closed

Quote: try this ;-)

http://www.role64.com/primarystar/

you WILL succeed. here you can also get the wares.

WTF?? this is not where i pressed quote??? Why can't we have phpBB or something like that ;)

Anyway in responce to TDJ's comments about calling me...

Working on it as we speak, but i got to get some good night rest as well. The scener's of yesterday became old farts and crave for a bed more then a release. Never tought that we happen either :)
2004-08-16 22:28
TDJ

Quote: WTF?? this is not where i pressed quote??? Why can't we have phpBB or something like that ;)

Anyway in responce to TDJ's comments about calling me...

Working on it as we speak, but i got to get some good night rest as well. The scener's of yesterday became old farts and crave for a bed more then a release. Never tought that we happen either :)

Tell me about it .. turning 34 next wednesday .. no wonder I couldn't find the energy to fix the demo and had to return that wonderful task to you :)

Now, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past my bedtime, I gotta go, or else they'll kick me out of this retirement home and I like it here, they even have real flowers instead of plastic ones ..
2004-08-16 23:27
Sorex
Account closed

and Logan, the lucky bastard, got an exclusive 12" record from Bastian for being the best in trashing some old printers ;)
2004-08-17 04:06
drake
Account closed

i posted some pictures on http://fotoboek.spijbelaars.com
there are around 40 pictures. not all i have but i had to upload them one by one x_x

when you enter the page you must create an account coz the server is from a friend of me. just routine :-)
2004-08-17 07:17
Sorex
Account closed

when i try to creat an account it spits out this error and i can't log in

No image(s) have been selected as Featured on Openning page in the admin

share your account or create a general one for us?
l:ps2004 p:photoz or something

btw can some admin fix those last release?
those belong to the event primary star
2004-08-17 14:45
LOGAN
Account closed

Check out ro.. erm.. firefox' photos:

http://commodore-gg.hobby.nl/ps2004col1.htm
2004-08-17 19:57
drake
Account closed

okay, try this:
http://fotoboek.spijbelaars.com
login: taco password: taco1234

it will work :-)

as i said, its not my own page or server so sorry for the problems.
2004-08-17 21:48
Sorex
Account closed

thanks Drake, nice collection you have there :)
2004-08-17 22:06
TDJ

Ok guys, WWE demo is out and available here, I was going to send it to the organizers but I can't seem to find any email addies and I'm too tired to really look now .. need sleep fast ..
2004-08-18 07:43
Slide
Account closed

It was nice again to be on a C64 party, for old-time sake! Realy good vibe and people... Never expected that I would NOT be on the last place in the graphics chart, after 12 years NOT painting on a C64. Realy funny.. The reason why we left so early was because I had to work on sunday that weekend. :( Thanks to the organisers and visiters.. Probably be there again next year, to keep the feeling alive :D .. Slide
2004-08-18 07:53
Ben
Account closed

Who won the printer/computer shot put? And what was the distance reached by the winner?
Suggestion for next year: try shooting Spectrum, MSX and the like, rather than the good old Commie HW!

Looks like a Wild Compo would well suit 8bit parties as well :)
2004-08-18 11:41
LOGAN
Account closed

I won the floppy/printer throwing contest. Dunno how far I got :)

PS I see the photos are posted.. and unaccesable:

"Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire."

Aaarg LOL

[EDIT] Little oftopic but worth a look: You can download a very cool videoclip from Bastian at http://www.downers.nl for free (also mp3)
2004-08-18 19:02
drake
Account closed

tdj: we really have a nice email ;-)
franky.atsign.role64.com but no hard feelings, place it on csdb and our problems are over. hehe.

ben: we were thinking about making it multi-scene. f.e. forever party in slovakia is multi platform: msx, atari and speccy is a bigger local scene there than c64.

btw: search for music from gasman (zx spectrum) his music is asskicking.

next year we'll try to make it multi-platform for speccy, msx and atari but we need feedback!
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
juN3bula/N3U
Krill/Plush
Alakran_64
iAN CooG/HVSC