Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > HermIRES issue
2014-03-12 13:15
xIII

HermIRES issue

I mailed this to Hermit:

I haven't used HermIres 1.28 for a while now but I wanted to use it today and something strange happend: When I start the program the window remains black but if I move the window I can see the interface. When I draw, I don't see what I have drawn until I move the window again...
Do you know what may cause this strange behaviour ??
I already re-installed the program but its the same :(

And got this reply:

I remember similar symthoms when I tested HermIRES on Win7 at my previous workplace in the past, especially on 2nd monitor of dual-monitor setup. I also saw differences on Win7 when switched themes (Aero vs custom) or changed 16/24 bit colour-depths. Maybe tweaking with these settings if you use Win7 might help.

It seems Windows, especially Win7 doesn't like Allegro libraries (version 4) which gives the base of HermIRES. Under Linux these kind of artifacts have newer happened to me.
If you want to read more about other-than-Linux workarounds, you can read the comments at release-page and README.txt, maybe there might be more info there which didn't come at this moment from the top of my head...

good luck
hermit
---------------

I still have the problem.
I have Windows Vista and it used to work fine.
Anybody an idea of what I can do to solve this issue ?
2014-03-12 23:44
Hermit

Oh you're using Vista. That might explain it... HermIRES has never been tested on Vista by me anyway.
Windows is shit IMHO, but the worst of all Windows is Vista, according to my short experiences and readings from the past. And allegro's quirks make the situation even worse. Maybe using XP (the least problematic I guess) or Win7 might solve your problem. Or forget about Windows and use Linux :) I know, I know, windows is easy to use. But IMHO Linux is just as easy (if not easier) once it's configured by someone who knows how to do it....

I'm playing around with FLTK GUI by now, maybe I'll be able to port HermIRES to FLTK and forget about Allegro. FLTK has a much better file-chooser anyway (even native file-browser support), and on the other hand, window can easily be resized, and until now FLTK seems to work fine in WinXP and Win7 according to my tests. However I can't promise too much, as it's really a lot of work to refactor from Allegro to FLTK, and at the moment I'm full of ToDOs... Until it happens, it's much faster solution if you try other OS (e.g. Puppy Linux / Lubuntu / XP in dual boot?) in case you want to use HermIRES...
2014-03-13 00:31
chatGPZ

i cant really recommend fltk... used it for one or two things, but meh... dunno =) i found doing graphics stuff with it incredibly annoying =P

why not SDL?
2014-03-13 08:25
Moloch

I know this doesn't help with the issue posted, but HermIRES does work with Windows Vista. I've run it on XP, Vista, and Win7 without any issues so far.
2014-03-13 08:40
iAN CooG

"once it's configured by someone who knows how to do it"
No shit!!1 that's valid for any OS. If one doesn't know what he's doing doesn't matter what OS is in use :D
and what moloch wrote, tested on all 3 windows in 3 different computers.
2014-03-15 15:48
xIII

It used to work here aswell but for some reason it doesn't anymore...
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Paulko64
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
lA-sTYLe/Quantum
JackAsser/Booze Design
Grue/Extend
Guests online: 115