Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Do you compose with midi or trackers ?
2013-12-07 20:31
mstram
Account closed

Do you compose with midi or trackers ?

Just wondering what the workflow is for the musicians here now and in the "old" days ?

Are you composing with a midi keyboard / software, then converting to a tracker / utility to create SID "instruments"?

If so, what conversion tool(s) are you using?

Or are you composing directly in tracker / other software .. i.e. not "playing it in realtime" ?

Mike
2013-12-07 20:43
Soren

I compose directly in a tracker, mostly. But have a synth that I use for coming up with ideas (the notes).
2013-12-07 22:26
mstram
Account closed

Hi Jeff,

I have a bunch of your tunes in my playlist(s) :)

That's (sort of) surprising that you mostly "track".

But do you input notes with the tracker "stopped" .. i.e. "one by one", or do you "play" the computer keyboard while the tracker is running. Renoise is one of the few trackers I've found so far that lets you do that.

I probably say that since I've only learned about, and started playing with trackers recently.

I have used midi sequencer software, starting with Logic / Notator on my Atari ST (still have them both ! ;) )

But even with that, I was playing into it with my Korg M1 (heh still have that too ;) )

My music-theory skills are novice level, and it would take me "forever" to "analytically / track" something like your "8th Frame" tune.

I *can* however quickly play along with the various rhythms of the song on a keyboard, and let the software figure out figure out the exact note timing / placement.

Mike
2013-12-08 03:09
SIDWAVE
Account closed

i make music directly in the tracker, from the head where the music is. then i find out some stuff on the synth, mostly chords.

i think you should just get started.
i created video tutorials for SDI music tracker, to get more people to start, or bring back old composers.

you will find the first one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOTDMXVPXw8

they are all on my youtube channel, named 01 SDI xxxxxx, 02 SDI xxxxxx, etc.

Sidwave's youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/diabelez?feature=watch

in the menu, click videos (i dont know it appears from outside)

Good luck.
forget about midi, and forget about converting anything usefull. make your own tunes, for each tune you finish, you improve. there is only one way to learn to play, its to keep doing it :)

There is a SDI 3 with midi, but its not finished, and it will be a long time before it is.

There are other trackers, but i only want to mention the modern ones, which are im works/where there is an active person behind them, to make improvements or fix bugs.

using old programs from 80s and 90s.. then you never get anything made :) IMO

so i will only mention 4 programs: SDI, SID WIzard, Goattracker (PC), and Cheesecutter (PC)

the rest, are very.. crappy workflow.
workflow is the key to make what you want, in no time.

Check my videos.
2013-12-08 03:22
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Try watching this, here is me making a tune, you can see how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_rWas_dVg
2013-12-08 04:12
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

SID wizard has this nifty tool that converts midi to SID Wizard format. That is, if I'm not mistaken (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sid-wizard/).

Goattracker for mac supports midi input. Don't know if you can record when playing midi, but you can use it to (step) input notes (http://www.sidmusic.org/goattracker/mac/).
2013-12-08 08:59
Stainless Steel

For C64 i'm using SDI.

On the PC I've been using Orion by Synapse (a traditional DAW) for around 12 years. I'm thinking about switching to Studio One by PreSonus. I used to do the music editing with mouse / keyboard in the piano roll for the longest time. Just recently i've acquired myself a M-Audio Oxygen25 keyboard.

I tried Renoise for tracking on the PC and it seems very powerful. But i'm feeling a bit too old to relearn another tracker. Took me 6 years to get used to SDI. And i still dont have a clue what i'm doing :-D
2013-12-08 09:21
Linus

While I have several synths and guitars I only use them to jam around to gather ideas.

All my C64 stuff is directly hacked into the tracker. I doubt you'll get very far trying to "convert" instrument data since you have to be knee deep into the sid to get decent results.

I also compose stuff in Renoise and Logic Pro (a traditional DAW) where things are different, of course.
2013-12-08 11:17
Soren

Mstram: Yes, I type in the notes when the tracker is not running (not using some recording feature or so). It's pure editing.
2013-12-08 11:41
Conjuror

Just as I thought, SID composers are really machine code programmers!
2013-12-08 12:41
Adam

Quoting mstram
Are you composing with a midi keyboard / software?

i use goattracker and sid wizard. i sometimes use a midi keyboard when making music on PC using various trackers and sequencers.

Quoting mstram
utility to create SID "instruments"

SID instruments are not too difficult to create from nothing using the tracker's instrument editors. :)

... 51 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Krill/Plush
jicas/Patagonia
Flex/Artline Designs
Guests online: 131
Top Demos