Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Composers' real life
2009-03-27 07:48
Hermit

Composers' real life

Hi, 8bitters

I'm always wondering what the C64 composers are doing in real life, of course not their private lives but musical.

For example, I know that Reyn Ouwehand is a live instrumental musician, I'm very proud of it, but dunno about a lot others whom I rarely see on CSDB.

e.g. I've managed several times to get reply from Jeroen Tel, Shogoon, and I saw them with guitars on some pictures..and I'm very curious if they are playing in band or compose on other platforms, etc.

I love Cosmic and its alternative bass and also wondering during listening if Stainless Steel is a funky-musician.

If you have news about them to share with us, or if you are a composer and want to tell about your activities, it's the topic I think.
This can help us by knowing where they got the influences/motivation from, how they could make these great compositions.

E.g. I'm mainly a bass player & singer, I have a pop-band, but my best dream is to play in a C64 remixer band, like "Press Play On Tape."

If you're interested in this topic, I'm excitedly waiting for replies.
READY.

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 08:30
Stainless Steel

:-D

Well, i used to play bass in school and did some occasional vocals. I did some coverversions with synthesizers that can be heard on remix.kwed.org and amigaremix.com

Other than that, i never managed to dedicate enough time into a real musical career.

In real life i disguise myself as a .NET developer for a german bank.

I know that Laxity (my hero) is or has been in a band and made some good danish pop music.
2009-03-27 09:08
Archmage

I am not really a composer as such, although I have dabbled a lot with SID recently and I have released one tune. In "real life" I play bass in a garage/punk/rock'n'roll band called The Replaceable Heads. Here's the myspace page if you like that kind of music: http://www.myspace.com/thereplaceableheads. I joined in january, so I am not featured in the pictures. Their loss. ;)

2009-03-27 10:06
Hermit

Good to hear, SS. You should make Cosmic in live if haven't.:)

A little about me:
I'm working for T-Systems ISP in Hungary, and unfortunately have not a lot of time for practicing C64 basses on my Yamaha 5 string bass, because I'm coder on the other hand for Scene and KolibriOS...
(I can play Dazzler bass on 5 string..hard, later remix comes.. :)

I'm very curious how the band of Laxity plays. Any link or recordings?
Drax, what about you? I like very much your Drunken Driver and
Bug off, and Destiny..etc. especially from bass perspective.

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 10:11
Intensity
Account closed

I am signed at Bonzai Records for Chillout/Ambient Music, and also under Aardvark Records for Electrotrance and Hard Techno Music.

The c64 merely plays a role in my productions.
2009-03-27 10:37
Hermit

A lot of things to listen! :)

Are any of the PPOT members on CSDB or related to C64 composing somehow? Or C64 orchestra members? Or Visa Roster?

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 10:50
Linus

hey,

used to run a small a label, did some c64 music with vocals (http://www.myspace.com/minimelodies), played synths and bass and composed for a lot of experimental bands (http://www.modulator.de http://www.myspace.com/bitchreport e.g.), did a soundtrack for a Wii game, worked for a radioplay etc etc etc. to pay the bills i work as a web-developer tho :)
2009-03-27 11:16
Conrad

I'm not a real musician in real life (and I don't think I'll have enough courage to either), though currently I'm using my C/C++/ASM skillz to develop some third-road music tracker/sequencer editor, using my own design rather than taking ideas from the older and more successful ones. Therefore I don't know how this will turn out to be for a commercial product... currently it's a third year project which involves a huge report covering the analysis, design, implementation, testing, critical review and all that bollocks :). If they are nice enough, they will allow me to continue developing it in my leisure time, so I'll see how it turns out in the future.

Before all of this, I haven't been involved with any bands or such... just playing some keyboards at school and also played the drums a few times there, some people thought I was good, but not enough to say "you should form a band." :)

So I guess the nearest I'll be with music creation will be with the SID, since that's what I've been doing since 1998.
2009-03-27 11:44
Hermit

Not because Conrad being Samar member, I like Foggy nights, and others so, that's why I can encourage you to play...this composition sounds for me in head like a real live-music, and should be played..

To fix my point of view: Somehow I like C64 more than most live-music. It can only be because of the great composition achievements..it's fact they're perfect when translated to e.g. a symphonic orchestra.
Somehow (reason maybe limits) C64 composers did great work in composing compared to most live-bands-in my opinion.
And lot of great bands lack good composers. So if C64 good composers would form a band, it would be great base for live-playing.
That's why I encourage C64 composers to try live-music. Their great musical ideas taken from C64 past would be a present for the 21th century average people.

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 11:45
Hermit

Who nows about Jeroen Tel, he can play Bass..but oly for recordings?

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 11:57
psych

hi Hermit and others,

In 'real life' I'm a financial advisor. I'll be a father in few months and I'm a quiet busy guy. I used to play in a band on drums and little bit on keyboard. SID sound is my truly love since I was 13 years old :) I had 10 years break (1996-2006) and I came back to SID composing.

... 92 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Magic/Nah-Kolor
syntaxerror
CA$H/TRiAD
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Matt
j0x