Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pictures
2005-10-27 01:37
Oswald

Pictures

when searching for pictures it would be nice to have a thumbnail, or even a fullsize picture in the results page.
2005-11-08 07:07
Oswald

actually any search results page would be nice with thumbnails, if any.

am I the only one thinking that this would be nice ?
2005-11-08 07:42
Seven

Rest assured, you're not the only one ;)

There's just one little problem with that... right now, CSDb doesn't generate thumbnails, smaller/larger versions on the release pages all reference the same screenshot and are only modified by height/width of the image tag.
Naturally, using the full pictures for "thumbnail" display generates an immense ammount of additional server traffic and will slow down page loading considerably.

Since ImageMagick isn't available on the server, GD is a bitch (and more often than not results in poor quality of the thumbnails) and resources on the current CSDb server are tight as is, you'll just have to wait for a while for a feature like that ;)
2005-11-08 08:35
Oswald

I would survive thumbnails made with the image tag, pictures arent big anyway here.
2005-11-08 08:55
CreaMD

Quote: Rest assured, you're not the only one ;)

There's just one little problem with that... right now, CSDb doesn't generate thumbnails, smaller/larger versions on the release pages all reference the same screenshot and are only modified by height/width of the image tag.
Naturally, using the full pictures for "thumbnail" display generates an immense ammount of additional server traffic and will slow down page loading considerably.

Since ImageMagick isn't available on the server, GD is a bitch (and more often than not results in poor quality of the thumbnails) and resources on the current CSDb server are tight as is, you'll just have to wait for a while for a feature like that ;)

Yes generating thumbs on-fly would generate extreme server overload.

And no GD isn't bitch you just don't know how to use it, or you have used some older version. I've experienced one like that on one big german hosting. They only had some older version and I had to generate PNG's in limited color mode which resultad (as you would put it) in bitchy images. GD2.0 generates perfect jpg/png images, you just have to use the right color mode - truecolor -> imagecreatetruecolor() and use resampling. ;-)
2005-11-08 12:30
Seven

@Oswald: you might, but (un)fortunately you're just one of many CSDb users and server traffic is to be taken into account aswell.

@CreaMD: I'm not even talking about on-the-fly generation since it should be sufficient to generate a thumbnail on upload of a new screenshot.
About GD being bitchy: I am very well aware of the fact that image quality depends on GD version and the PHP function used, has it crossed your mind though that animated GIFs might be an issue here aswell?

Your time might be spent better by fixing c64.sk not to display "Latest Downloads of 25. October 2004" anymore and maybe even by adding that RSS feed you've practically been given the code for over a year ago before giving coding advice to others. ;)
2005-11-08 14:11
CreaMD

Quote: @Oswald: you might, but (un)fortunately you're just one of many CSDb users and server traffic is to be taken into account aswell.

@CreaMD: I'm not even talking about on-the-fly generation since it should be sufficient to generate a thumbnail on upload of a new screenshot.
About GD being bitchy: I am very well aware of the fact that image quality depends on GD version and the PHP function used, has it crossed your mind though that animated GIFs might be an issue here aswell?

Your time might be spent better by fixing c64.sk not to display "Latest Downloads of 25. October 2004" anymore and maybe even by adding that RSS feed you've practically been given the code for over a year ago before giving coding advice to others. ;)

Seven, I didn't want to turn this to which software has bigger penis debate. ;-) I just reacted on that point about your comment in brackets (this one: "and more often than not results in poor quality of the thumbnails") which is obviously not very well supported by your additional argument about gif animations. ;-)))

But anyway you are right about that c64.sk issues. And I'm really ashamed of myself for that.

2005-11-08 17:42
Seven

First of all, I'm glad we agree about the current state of c64.sk ;)

About my statement on image quality of GD:
I ran PHP/GD 2.0.33 against ImageMagick 6.2.3 (yes, 6.2.5 is out, still...) on the same server, using the same libjpeg and still end up with "better" results using ImageMagick. Jpeg artefacts end up being quite "crisp" with GD while they're blurred and not as visible with ImageMagick. As a result the ImageMagick result file is slightly smaller aswell.

GIFs are a whole different story. Without using imagetruecolortopalette($image,false,256) GD ends up with ugly dithering on a plain background color (eg. on http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/pic123.gif ), even with that command it refuses to use all 256 available colors while ImageMagick was quick to obey and therefore ended up with a better result (even though, admittedly, with a larger file due to the bigger color palette).

Now I could post on and on about what PHP/GD does and does not do, we could argue about sensible jpg compression values, advisability of 256 color palettes for GIF thumbnails that quite often give you a bigger file for a thumbnail than the original file or last but not least matters of taste when it comes to levels of anti-aliasing - but I suggest we move that elsewhere before we bore the crap out of everybody else.

I'll give you this, however: GD does a way better job nowadays than it used to do ;)
2005-11-08 18:29
CreaMD

Quote: First of all, I'm glad we agree about the current state of c64.sk ;)

About my statement on image quality of GD:
I ran PHP/GD 2.0.33 against ImageMagick 6.2.3 (yes, 6.2.5 is out, still...) on the same server, using the same libjpeg and still end up with "better" results using ImageMagick. Jpeg artefacts end up being quite "crisp" with GD while they're blurred and not as visible with ImageMagick. As a result the ImageMagick result file is slightly smaller aswell.

GIFs are a whole different story. Without using imagetruecolortopalette($image,false,256) GD ends up with ugly dithering on a plain background color (eg. on http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/pic123.gif ), even with that command it refuses to use all 256 available colors while ImageMagick was quick to obey and therefore ended up with a better result (even though, admittedly, with a larger file due to the bigger color palette).

Now I could post on and on about what PHP/GD does and does not do, we could argue about sensible jpg compression values, advisability of 256 color palettes for GIF thumbnails that quite often give you a bigger file for a thumbnail than the original file or last but not least matters of taste when it comes to levels of anti-aliasing - but I suggest we move that elsewhere before we bore the crap out of everybody else.

I'll give you this, however: GD does a way better job nowadays than it used to do ;)

Thanx for info. I think it's quite useful. Btw. that multimediot was done in some bitmap editor (probably painthshoppro at that time) I'm sure I didn't use PHP in 1998.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Linus/MSL
zscs
Higgie/Kraze/Slacker..
Impetigo/Crescent
csabanw
megasoftargentina