Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > improvements
2002-04-08 19:56
Carcass

improvements

1. ntsc categories for releases and groups
2. icon that signifies "screen shot" or "download" available, for releases
3. better way to navigate releases
- by type, for example, when browsing graphics buttons can take you to the next graphic, not next release

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-04-15 14:01
bubis
Account closed

Quote: Better design.

The whole idea of this site is quite cool, but it looks shitty. No offence ;)

The navigation and the search-screen most definitely need a revamp. It's very far from intuitive.

You should try and make it validate as well (http://validator.w3.org).

Drop me a line if you need some help on the design.

Ohhh that's a constructive criticism! And after this everybody will supplicate for your friendly offered help Lord. Or how should we call you!
2002-04-15 15:09
TDJ

Hey c'mon, the guy may have critisized this site, but he also offers his help, so it's not like he's just here to slag things down.
2002-04-15 15:15
Carcass

do we all have to agree on everything now?
2002-04-15 15:21
Steppe

The design of the site is definitely not "shitty", but everyone's of course free to voice his/her opinion...
:-/
2002-04-15 17:39
CreaMD

Quote: Ohhh that's a constructive criticism! And after this everybody will supplicate for your friendly offered help Lord. Or how should we call you!

Although my answer might sound quite harsh, it wasn't meant to start flames.
2002-04-15 18:56
Rough
Account closed

I prefer a bare looking page to one which takes half an hour to load on my 56K.

2002-04-16 06:23
bubis
Account closed

Quote: Although my answer might sound quite harsh, it wasn't meant to start flames.

It was just my opinion. I realy don't like this kind of critism. But I understand... :) Sorry!
2002-04-20 02:06
Kristian

I had prepared a long answer for you regarding the reactions to my post. However, I managed to click a link and all the stuff I'd written was gone.

It is too late to start over again now, I will do it tomorrow instead.

--
Kristian Rostoen
SHAPE / Blues Muz'
2002-04-20 03:32
Kristian

Couldn't wait till tomorrow afterall :)

CreaMD,

It's obvious things didn't come out right here. I called it a "shitty design" and assumed the ;) would get my point through. No, I didn't mean it as harsh as it may have seemed and imagine my surprise when I came back to read the responses.

My mistake was to treat you and critize you like any of my co-workers. I should not have expected you to respond to the critics the same way they would have done and for that I apologize.

However, this _is_ a forum, the topic _is_ CSBd Feedback and the thread _is_ called Improvements, so you _should_ expect anything.

I'd like to comment on a few things in your post.

*You should maybe have spent more time observing first than immediatelly judging it*
- What do you know how much time I used?

*Also it's always good to read the older posts in forum or spend some time lurking around to get the idea how it works and then post*
- No. I find the forum messy in a way that I think there are too many sections with topics that could be all collected in one section. I have no intention of going through hundreds of posts to see if my comment was made by someone already. I found the navigation bad and I said so. Btw, make a search for "navigation". I'm sure you'll only find my post there ;)

*I'm quite sorry that I told you about this site, but I didn't know that you will join the debate as an elephant in the porcelaine shop*
- Hehe cute. Come on, this is a public site. Do you expect official ass-lick (excuse my french) just because you made a website? No can do. And as this website is still being developed you should be "glad" you got those comments now when you have a chance to do something about it (if you want to, that is).

*I dare to say that 95% of sites won't be validated anyway.*
- A few things on validating. I am gonna make it simple and quote this page [http://library.usask.ca/access98/ppoint/dowling/html/]:

"So, if you need that document to be accessible six years from now, you have two choices. You can commit yourself today to revisiting that document—and every other document on your web site—every six months or so and retagging it to meet the current browser hacks, or you can make sure the document exists in a standard format that will be available for the long term, and never touch it again.

In closing, my question is: which of those two approaches really frees you up to play with content, and which forever shackles you to the tedious job of fixing tags?"

Anyway, enough about that. As some of you couldn't see the constructiveness in my critics, I've decided to go a little bit more into details. Hope this will help in some way or another.

--

I commented on two things. The search and the navigation. First of all, I meant the "Browse"-section, not "Search". There was a major "bug" in it, but it seems to have been fixed now. Atleast I couldn't reproduce it now. In short: I chosed i.e. "Demo group", "Norway" and submitted. I got a list of results. I clicked on any of the listed groups and went to that page. However, when I clicked "Back" to go back to the list, I was told the page had expired.

The other thing, the navigation, is more important. There's something called disabilities. Approximately 20% of all users have some kind of a disability that affects their web-experience. That might be weak sight, color blindness and stuff like that. Your main navigation consists of images. First of all, the text on these images are so small, anyone with any kind of disability might get a problem. Second, you can't resize the text on them (as they are images). Third, there's no title-attribute on them to help them out in other ways (voice-browsers). Yes, the alt-attribute was filled in correctly, but that is for those with text-only browsers, not to be used as a tooltip or anything.

Another thing about the main menu; the buttons change places when you log in (you remember i said something about not being intuitive? There you got it).

When not logged in you have:
"Log in", "Register", "Browse", "About", "Help", "Forums"

When logged in you have:
"Userpage", "Browse", "About", "Help", "Forums", "Log out"

There's not much logic to that. At least put "Log out" in front on the logged in menu.

The site has relative width. This is good when done properly. However, at 800x600 resolution , a good deal of the blue boxes on the right side disappears. This is not good.

I appreciate the work put into this site. It's a hell of a job and I am fully aware of that. When I offered my help it was meant in a positive way, not an arrogant way. I do work as a designer for a living with Graphical User Interfaces as perhaps my speciality.

Bubis: sure, call med Lord if you will. Or Kristian. Or Asshole. I really don't care what you call me ;)

And finally, a little comment to Rough. You said something like "I prefer a bare looking page to one which takes half an hour to load on my 56K."
Is this a comment to my post? Are you saying that by critisizing this design I am pro huge graphics, heavy flash-files and whatever makes a site taking too long to load? I'm not that kind of type. Oposite, rather. Design is not Graphics.

--
Kristian Rostoen
SHAPE / Blues Muz'
2002-04-20 19:06
Celtic
Administrator

I guess i can speak for the whole staff while saying thanks for the feedback. thanks for giving us this hand into design and gfx. We are (well, perff and Kilroy) very busy with updating more things to this site, such as for example a template system. We have ofcourse limited time to do this, so don't expect a totally revamped, new site soon. It will go slowly.

Thanks for the help is just all i wanna say, and we ofcourse did not take the first reaction very negative.

celtic
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Andy/AEG
Mike
Martin Piper
megasoftargentina
Guests online: 77
Top Demos