Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Merging duplicate entries
2002-08-15 04:10
anonym

Merging duplicate entries

Hi guys,

there's some duplicate entries in the database. For example Offence has got an ex-member called Pal and an active member called Rooster, but both are the same person.

Could we maybe merge those two somehow so no information would be lost (as opposed to deleting one of them)? And then again, this is just an example, I am pretty sure that there are more of those.

/Frank

PS: Keep the great work up!
2002-08-15 07:03
Mermaid

In the case of Pal (Rooster), this morning I took the liberty of copying most of the information from the newest entry over to the oldest entry and then deleting the newest entry.

I found a couple of these double entries yesterday too, and merged them manually.

People: Make sure to fill out the AKA field with older/alternative handles for people if you know them, so they turn up when you search for them using an old handle.
That lowers the risk of someone adding a scener who is already listed in the database.
I don't think the "handlestory" or "trivia" fields are searched, so fill in the AKA field with that info.
2002-08-15 13:11
Celtic
Administrator

There a bunch of these duplicate entries.. i know since i come around here pretty often, for example commander has made 4 or 5 entries of himself with all his different handles (so commander please merge yourself too)... anyways, congrats mermaid for your great work on the csdb lately!!! and people please don't make duplicate entries...

if i wanna enter someone new
i always do this:
1. search for the handle i know of...
2. search for former handles
3. search for the real name of the person

if you are possible to do all this, you are sure that there will be no double entries.. especially when you enter someone you fill out the same information...

2002-08-15 23:18
Commander
Account closed

Quote: There a bunch of these duplicate entries.. i know since i come around here pretty often, for example commander has made 4 or 5 entries of himself with all his different handles (so commander please merge yourself too)... anyways, congrats mermaid for your great work on the csdb lately!!! and people please don't make duplicate entries...

if i wanna enter someone new
i always do this:
1. search for the handle i know of...
2. search for former handles
3. search for the real name of the person

if you are possible to do all this, you are sure that there will be no double entries.. especially when you enter someone you fill out the same information...

I still think that former handles can be mentioned separately, sometimes a whole different scene history happened under one of the other handles... In my case, it is like that. How can people find someone in a certain group, when that same person has been (is) in another group with another handle (maybe even with some different functions, older sceners know what I mean) and isn't mentioned in the list of one of these groups...?
Some people don't want some things to be merged, so they can show the people the different histories in an easy way.
2002-08-15 23:22
Commander
Account closed

And don't forget, if you merge different handles (but all from the same person), then you delete them from group-lists in the database (because you won't see some former handles in some grouplists, info which gets lost forever!).
2002-08-16 11:28
Perff
Administrator

I'll try to spread a little light over this topic! :)

About merging:
If you find two (or more) entries that are the same you can either merge it manually (like Mermaid) or if you find a lot of doubles you can mail them to me and I'll merge them with my special CSDb-merging-tool. :)
Just state the id's of the entries to be merged, and which one of thoose id's to be the master record. (The one the information is collected into)

About multiple handles:
All from the begining of designing CSDb we were aware that some sceners have more than one handle so our database design does actually support that!!!
That means that any given person (the persons real name, address etc) can be asociated with multiple scener-handles which each can have their own assignments to releases (credits) and groups (members), etc.
When original creating CSDb we couldn't figure out a way to easily and logically add this feature to the edit-pages so that one could edit this information, but I can see that it is in fact a problem that this feature is missing, so I'll look into it now.
Have patiense!! :)

/Perff
2002-08-16 12:12
TDJ

Perff,

first of all once again my compliments for setting this up, but certain problems you describe here make me wonder if anybody in your team has any experience with database-design?

Because, like the problem with voting that was discussed in another thread (not being able to see what your previous vote for a person etc. was), this is something which could have been prevented quite easily I think.

A good model is the foundation of all databases, if you want I can take a look at your someday (I'll have to have a description/dump then ofcourse).
2002-08-16 21:07
Perff
Administrator

I have now made the initial code so you can add multiple handles to the same scener. More coding still awaits, but it works now so go ahead! :)

It works this way:
When you enter the edit page of a scener the 'main-handle' will be at the top as always, but below where you add groups of which this scener is/was member you can now also add 'old handles'
Thees handles will be atached to all the information above (real name, address, phone, email etcetc) but not the relative information below like memberships, credits etc.
The only way (for now) to make one of theese 'old handles' a member of a group is to do it from the groups edit-page and the same for credits - go to the releases edit-page.

Hope this will solve some problems! :)

/Perff
2002-08-17 00:47
Celtic
Administrator

and to all others, this way you could merge your handles... (hint commander :) )

2002-08-17 07:26
Jayce
Account closed

With the risc of sounding like a mr knowitall, but is the HANDLE of a person the primary key in your scener database?

Because if so, i think that's not a good idea. Handles can change, multiple handles do occur, if you took for example a combination of both (handle and realname) as a primary key you'll have a pretty unique combination. And a much easier starting point.

But to prevent further polution of the database, maybe it's an idea to temporarily de-activate the adding of new sceners while cleaning the current database. I know it's a lot of work, but as i can see it, it's currently the only way to get the consistanticy of the database back in order.
(and while your at it, maybe you can delete the 'gamecompany' records aswell :) )

I realise myself, that this project isn't your dayjob and me idea are a bit radical. But to me nothing is more irritating then a inconsistant database.

2002-08-17 08:18
Perff
Administrator

Quote: With the risc of sounding like a mr knowitall, but is the HANDLE of a person the primary key in your scener database?

Because if so, i think that's not a good idea. Handles can change, multiple handles do occur, if you took for example a combination of both (handle and realname) as a primary key you'll have a pretty unique combination. And a much easier starting point.

But to prevent further polution of the database, maybe it's an idea to temporarily de-activate the adding of new sceners while cleaning the current database. I know it's a lot of work, but as i can see it, it's currently the only way to get the consistanticy of the database back in order.
(and while your at it, maybe you can delete the 'gamecompany' records aswell :) )

I realise myself, that this project isn't your dayjob and me idea are a bit radical. But to me nothing is more irritating then a inconsistant database.

A little technical information about how sceners are represented in CSDb.
We have two tables. One for the sceners personal data (real name, address, phone, email etc.) This table can be viewed as the main table of the sceners.
The other table contains the sceners handles, handlestory, aka etc. and it's from this table relations to group, releases etc are made about memberships and credits etc.
And from the handles table there are a pointer to the scener table so more handles can point to the same scener.

I think this is the way to do it. :)

/Perff

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
Nicron
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
CreaMD/React
Martin Piper
LDX#40