Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > New iPhone SID player
2013-10-12 06:00
SparkyNZ
Account closed

New iPhone SID player

Hi Guys. If anybody is interested my iPhone app for playing mods, SIDs and iPhone media library is now available.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/geektunes/id715319265?mt=8

Its not meant to look pretty but its a good "one stop shop" job for me and I wanted to share it with any other Mod/Sid lovers out there.

You can put the C64Music.zip file from HVSC onto the device and it will plays SIDs from the one ZIP file.

I also have song length config files etc that I will be uploading to my site.. once I finish the manual.

https://sites.google.com/site/geektunes2/

I hope somebody finds it useful. If there's enough interest I'll go ahead and port it to Android once I'm finished adding all the features I have in the pipeline.

Cheers
Sparky

... 48 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-10-16 20:35
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quote: Quote:
I used ReSid - same as all the other players ;-)

how to get the sourcecode of your app then? (you know its GPL right?)

I haven't modified the source. It just makes use of it.
Would seem a shame to pull the SID support out of the app. The player list logic is all my code. I could make the source freely available, minus my playerlist code.. ?

Keep in mind this app was written as an easier means of playing my MP3 music library by having big easy to use buttons. SID support is a nice-to-have feature since I find the other players impossible to use while driving.
2013-10-16 20:44
chatGPZ

if you statically link against the resid code, then you must make the whole sourcecode available (to anyone who buys the app anyway) under a gpl compatible license. whether you modify the resid code is irrelevant.
2013-10-16 20:49
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quote: if you statically link against the resid code, then you must make the whole sourcecode available (to anyone who buys the app anyway) under a gpl compatible license. whether you modify the resid code is irrelevant.

What if you recompile the resid code as opposed to statically linking?

Have you bought the app - are you wanting to add changes to my source yourself?
2013-10-16 21:07
chatGPZ

Quote:
What if you recompile the resid code as opposed to statically linking?

the only way to avoid gpl infection is to link dynamically, ie when the gpl portion comes from a dynamic library that is loaded at runtime, and which can be changed by the user.
Quote:
Have you bought the app - are you wanting to add changes to my source yourself?

i dont even have a mobile, so no =) but i am interested in all things that are based on code that originates from VICE, and frequently someone from the VICE team has bought such apps and requested sourcecode so we can share it.
2013-10-16 21:17
SparkyNZ
Account closed

OK, well lets take this offline and PM me if you'd like something in particular. Cheers Paul
2013-10-17 23:41
Control

Apple does not allow dynamic linking on iOS, and by statically linking or "recompling" GPL-covered code you must essentially open source the app.

For details read the lincense itself, especially sections 5 and 6
2013-10-18 00:05
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quote: Apple does not allow dynamic linking on iOS, and by statically linking or "recompling" GPL-covered code you must essentially open source the app.

For details read the lincense itself, especially sections 5 and 6

Fine, I'll open source the app.
2013-10-21 09:47
bob-uk
Account closed

Quote: Hi Guys. If anybody is interested my iPhone app for playing mods, SIDs and iPhone media library is now available.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/geektunes/id715319265?mt=8

Its not meant to look pretty but its a good "one stop shop" job for me and I wanted to share it with any other Mod/Sid lovers out there.

You can put the C64Music.zip file from HVSC onto the device and it will plays SIDs from the one ZIP file.

I also have song length config files etc that I will be uploading to my site.. once I finish the manual.

https://sites.google.com/site/geektunes2/

I hope somebody finds it useful. If there's enough interest I'll go ahead and port it to Android once I'm finished adding all the features I have in the pipeline.

Cheers
Sparky

Purchased & installed the app and added HVSC complete on there and sucessfully built the library etc.

Find the app really useful on first run. Easily able to get to the tunes I wanted. Will experiment with it further later. Good work pal.
2013-10-21 19:14
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quote: Purchased & installed the app and added HVSC complete on there and sucessfully built the library etc.

Find the app really useful on first run. Easily able to get to the tunes I wanted. Will experiment with it further later. Good work pal.

Thanks Bob!

I should be releasing v1.2 soon so you'll be able to get a free update on the AppStore. Just adding a few more features and fixed some bugs.
2013-11-28 08:16
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quoting dano
you could even think about social playlists for users to share their playlists for others who could then download them and use them on their phones. dk brought up this idea and i kinda like that thought. :)

Hi dano. I've been having a think about these social playlists you mentioned a few weeks ago.. I quite like the idea actually.. but not sure how keen anybody else would be for this? I've got the HVSC top 100 list which is great for a quick trip down memory lane, but it would be great for people to share their favourites out of the 45,000 or so SIDs on HVSC. I put my player on random.. I have found some gems but there are a lot to wade through.. Social playlists could be a good idea.

Anyway, I should be release v1.2 of my app soon. This does have web download of HVSC and configuration.. so hopefully is a little easier to set up.

So in the meantime.. I may consider social playlists in v1.3.. Would need more than 10 users first though. :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
algorithm
jmin
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
CA$H/TRiAD
psych
Matt