Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > New iPhone SID player
2013-10-12 06:00
SparkyNZ
Account closed

New iPhone SID player

Hi Guys. If anybody is interested my iPhone app for playing mods, SIDs and iPhone media library is now available.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/geektunes/id715319265?mt=8

Its not meant to look pretty but its a good "one stop shop" job for me and I wanted to share it with any other Mod/Sid lovers out there.

You can put the C64Music.zip file from HVSC onto the device and it will plays SIDs from the one ZIP file.

I also have song length config files etc that I will be uploading to my site.. once I finish the manual.

https://sites.google.com/site/geektunes2/

I hope somebody finds it useful. If there's enough interest I'll go ahead and port it to Android once I'm finished adding all the features I have in the pipeline.

Cheers
Sparky

... 48 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-12-12 22:04
chatGPZ

cleaned up on request by the OP. please direct offtopic babble here
2014-03-14 22:59
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Apple has told me that I need to remove SID file support. This is sad news but I will conform and do as I have been told. Other SID players such as Modiser, C64Player etc will be told to do the same thing since we are not allowed to emulate a 6510 blah blah.

I will be dropping SID support from all future iOS versions but I promise to continue supporting SID on the Android platform. I had intended adding more features to the iOS version first but now that Apple have killed off SID support, I will be porting my app to Android next before adding any additional features to the iOS version (bearing in mind that SID supports was only one feature of the player).

I am truly sorry about this but Apple is a force that will not be reckoned with. When I spoke to them on the phone they could not give me a reason why emulating an 80's processor is a problem except "It clearly states in the Developer guidelines section blah blah that you are not allowed to do this".

All I can recommend is that if you have the current 1.2 version for SID files, do not download the new version. It will disappear from the store and be replaced by an MP3/MOD only version.

Once again, I'm sorry that Apple has done this. I did point out that they themselves had already approved my SID supporting app twice - as well as other SID playing apps but all they said was that they would be tightening up on apps not adhering to guidelines in the future.

I struggle to accept that they will not allow owners of phones to install files of their own choice.. but who am I to argue..
2014-03-14 23:19
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

You can always release a version with SID-support for jailbroken iphones and ipads.
2014-03-15 07:37
ruk

It seems that the Frodo-based app C64 by manomio is gone too. No official word on their homepage, but I can't find it in appstore any more.

http://www.manomio.com

Direct link
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/commodore-64/id305504539?mt=8

Are they going to enforce this on other emulation-based apps as well?
There's a ton of them for all kinds of retro systems, e.g ZX Spectrum, Amiga, Intellivision. bla blah blah

And not at least those official SEGA Megadrive games, like Golden Axe. From what I've learned those are not more than SEGA Megadrive / Genesis emulators running "roms". Wouldn't be surprised if Konami's and Namco's game collections also are emus.

Question is, are they "afraid" of emulation, since this could probably be extended to emulating for instance the Android platform, or are they concerned with the use of proprietary stuff like the C64 KERNAL and BASIC roms?

The later I can understand. But not so much pure emulation.
2014-03-15 07:42
JackAsser

Why not lie? "I'm not emulating the cpu but merly analysing the data and extracting notes to be played through CoreSound"
2014-03-15 08:45
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quoting JackAsser
Why not lie? "I'm not emulating the cpu but merly analysing the data and extracting notes to be played through CoreSound"

They're not entirely stupid.. They did suggest that I could bundle up the SIDS as part of my app which was a complete contradiction. I then spoke with the HVSC guys while pondering doing so but at the end of the day Apple would just realise that they'd made a mistake in telling me to do so then tell me to remove the embdedded SIDS again. Besides.. I'm sure a load of Sid authors would be unhappy with me if I did that. Perhaps I write a tool that downloads them on a pc and converts them into a 'special' format? Nah.. I just can't be bothered with the bull. A decent Android phone and some compatible car kit will be the way I'm going. I ain't paying an Apple developer license if I can't even recover the cost of it.

I'm sure I can find a way of looking after those who have already purchased the app with SIDs in mind if they get in touch with me once the support is removed.
2014-03-15 08:59
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quoting Ruk
Are they going to enforce this on other emulation-based apps as well?

Yes. Any app that launches "executable code" is in breach of their "guidelines".

Quoting Ruk
Question is, are they "afraid" of emulation, since this could probably be extended to emulating for instance the Android platform, or are they concerned with the use of proprietary stuff like the C64 KERNAL and BASIC roms?

The later I can understand. But not so much pure emulation.

Maybe a C64 virus could be lurking deep within a SID file :-) Really I have no idea. Maybe this is why they invented Apple TV as well - so they can control and tell you exactly what you can and cannot watch..
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
B.A.
Viti/Hokuto Force
Ixon
Andy/AEG
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Acidchild/Padua