Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Just checking in (reminiscence)
2014-11-20 09:01
bodd

Just checking in (reminiscence)

Just to say hi, and by way of introduction as another "scener" late to return to the scene: I must have hit some kind of 40-something mid-life crisis because I've signed up here after having a bit of a C64 nostalgia trip recently, and thought I'd just check in. Although I haven't SUDDENLY discovered the "modern C64 scene" - over the years I have installed emulators, SID players (I couldn't tell you how many times I have listened to Monty on the Run and still wondered at the sheer awesomeness), frequently checked out the many good SID remixes etc. - but I guess after I moved to the Amiga and then the PC I never took active part in the C64 scene again. Which is kind of sad, but maybe it's better that way as I couldn't really justify the time spent on this "hobby". However it's remained a MASSIVE part of my childhood/teenage memories.

I guess it was around 85-86 I got my C64 and in 1987-1988 I was on Compunet (MD13, also known as Bodd, a handle I haven't otherwise used since :)). I was around 13-14 at the time, dabbled in assembly programming but really had NO clue, as evidenced by my awful demos that are to be found in these hallowed pages. Where DID you get those from, whoever uploaded them?! I thought they were lost forever, that was VERY weird seeing them again!

I guess it would be GREAT fun to get back into the C64 again, I would find it so much easier to learn some of the programming concepts and tricks that I never really understood at the time, but for me I guess it would just be a nostalgia trip (I do a bit of semi-commercial PHP programming aside from my "real" job, and that's more than I can handle timewise). I think it's best if I just wallow here for a while with you guys :). The scene now is amazing, and long may it live, but it's useless trying to recreate for myself the amazing vibe of that period - Cnet, the original demo scene, Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, the Commodore Shows (they were the highlight of my year - imagine it now, a whole show just devoted to Commodore, and a Compunet stand all of it's own!), swapping games, the Expert Cartridge, ripping music, devising cheats - it was just a magical world for a teenager and I just feel so privileged to have been a part of it!

Anyway, that was just to say hi, say hi back if we ever knew each other back in the day, like maybe on Cnet, or if we met at a Commodore Show - see you around!
2014-11-20 11:53
bugjam

Now you have just missed the X-Party, which would have been a great place to check in the C64 world again in RL - at last a whole party,just dedicated to the C64! :-) You should mark October 2016 in your calendar already.
Welcome (a little bit) back!
2014-11-20 17:33
bodd

Heh, thanks, oh, that was in the Netherlands, right?

Bit of a trek for me, living in Eastern Europe now, but my wife might be up for a trip to NL next time round. I doubt she would be into the party much, but she is fond of the Netherlands, could be just the bait I need! :)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Guests online: 96
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)