Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Where are you now?
2005-02-04 16:27
Death Demon
Account closed

Where are you now?

Anybody from the old time go on to work in the industry? Last I heard, Changeling was making games for Sega Saturn, so I assume he's still doing stuff there. Riff Raff/UCF was working for Time Warner Interactive and made some of their biggest/best titles (although I haven't heard from him in a long time). I think The Last Dragon was working for some game company too. I worked at SGI/3dfx/Nvidia (now) designing graphics chips.

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-02-06 17:53
Sander

Quote: Well, as long as we're wandering away from the original "who is working in the game industry" question anyway ..

It seems most sceners work in the IT. In Focus that's, apart from the 2 I already mentioned, Hein, Ben, Jayce, Sander & me (I'm a software architect - the rest can tell you themselves, lazy bastards that they are).

But Jeroen Tel for example is working in a much broader area, doing music for tv and movies as well. And recently I got back in touch with Vulcan, one of the other founders of Focus, and it seems both he & Atomrock (another founder) are lawyers these days.

Which means that if we ever see somebody rip something from us, even an idea, we'll sue your asses all the way to hell! ;)

Uhm, for my ego;
I work in advertising as a designer. Not IT.
Tdj, have you been paying attention? ;)
2005-02-06 18:56
TDJ

Quote: Uhm, for my ego;
I work in advertising as a designer. Not IT.
Tdj, have you been paying attention? ;)

Sorry, but that just doesn't fit with my story, you'll have to change jobs again. ;)
2005-02-06 22:09
H.O
Account closed

I work in the IT industry, but I have actually moved away from coding. I used to work as a system developer/programmer/software engineer, but these days I work with testing. It's just more fun finding others bugs.

As for the games industry, I did work there a short while; worked 2.5 months for Electronic Arts. Actually enjoyed the work, but there are hardly no permanent positions in localization (testing + translating) so I went on to a permanent position in another area.

Most of my experience in the IT sector is with Telecom and Financial services; far from what I thought I would be doing when I started programming on the c64.

As for the other S451-members, I know Odin is working with Chemistry and I am fairly certain there are more ex-members who didnt go on to the IT sector.
2005-02-09 05:21
Death Demon
Account closed

Correction on Mitch/ESI. I had heard from By-Tor (I think, it's been a long time) that he was a stereo salesman. But I just ran across a post by someone calling themselves "Mitch/ESI" who says he's a "code monkey" for Electronic Arts. Humor. I think some of Mitch's most standout and defining work was in cracking Electronic Arts titles. In general, cracking wasn't an incredibly difficult thing to do. But some of the titles really took an excellent coder because they would do things like rewrite the drive kernal and use proprietary formats. That type of stuff takes someone who really knows what they're doing and that's where Mitch excelled (along with a couple of others). I'd love to get in touch with him again. See if he mentioned that on his interview at all. ;)
2005-02-09 05:55
Wanderer
Account closed

Every one of my friends who used the 64 to play games and had no interest in programming went on to become programmers (PLC circuits, cell phone networks, networks, etc.)

As for myself being a programmer I went on to become... a Child and Youth Worker. I could only take so much sitting in front of an inanimate object for so long, and I love working with children.

Who'd have ever thunk it.
2005-02-15 22:38
RaveGuru

I'm an ostrich farmer.
2005-02-16 07:00
OEP

I work for an insurance company. I sit in front of a PC all day and wonder if I could get away with using a c64 emulator on company time.
2005-02-16 15:59
Morrissey (moRR)
Account closed

Wow... this is interesting.

I ended up doing 2 things at once. Generally for money, I have been in the accounting/admin area for about 10 years (im only 30). A few years back I was in the dotcom video game biz. Did quite well for about 3 years and then the dotcom bubble burst. Now Im back at working for an investment firm to fill in my 40 hour work week. I also do graphic/logo design as a personal business for many upstart companies, law enforcement, media, and much more. I dont draw as much as I used to (freelance) but pretty much when it pays to I do. That and running a household can take alot of your time and energy.
2005-02-17 01:56
OEP

Morrissey - cool I'd love to see some of your graphic work. After doing all the art I did on the c64/amiga I've always wondered if I should have pursued that as a career.
2005-02-18 09:09
blinkenlichten
Account closed

Lucky me!

I spend my time at german tv-station VIVA Plus, programming scrollers every day and also drawing some gfx. And I enjoy so much. Definitely, all this wouldn't have been possible without doing it on the C=64 first. And it still is so inspiring! Thanks to anyone who made it be such a wonderful platform, big respect to all people still active.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Mason/Unicess
radius75
Guests online: 94
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)