Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Different program versions?
2005-10-09 13:35
Graham
Account closed

Different program versions?

I noticed that for some programs (for example Vice or Pollytracker) every version gets a new CSDb entry. I don't think this makes much sense, what about some kind of "version history" in the CSDb entries themselves?
2005-10-09 14:16
CyberBrain
Administrator

That would be a nice feature to have such history, of cause. But note that allmost every field of the release-records could be different for different versions.

Release dates, screenshots, download-links, "released at party" are allways different.
Maybe credits are different aswell.
Maybe they're even released by different groups (f.e. some packers and assemblers were improved by different groups)

And at the group-record they also had to be listed one time for each version as they do now, to have the release history of the group intact.
So i'm not sure excatly what would be gained?
2005-10-09 14:17
tlr

Quote: I noticed that for some programs (for example Vice or Pollytracker) every version gets a new CSDb entry. I don't think this makes much sense, what about some kind of "version history" in the CSDb entries themselves?

I would like a 'based on' link instead (maybe both?). This would make sense for utilites gradually improved by different sceners over time. I added a lot of tools here, and they are usually based on the work of some other scener. Example: Time Cruncher
Also version V2.0 can be radically different from V1.0, especially if a different person improved it. In many cases it is better to have separate entries then.
Also with separate entries there can be separate screenshots, comments, etc... for each version.

EDIT: I was too slow! :P I wrote it before seeing Cyberbrains post though.
2005-10-09 14:34
Graham
Account closed

There are ofcourse different "degrees" of version changes. For example, i'd say that Warpcopy 0.1 to 0.6 don't deserve 6 CSDb entries. Vice 1.17 also ain't much different to 1.16, it's not like it has become a totally new program.
2005-10-09 17:34
tlr

Quote: There are ofcourse different "degrees" of version changes. For example, i'd say that Warpcopy 0.1 to 0.6 don't deserve 6 CSDb entries. Vice 1.17 also ain't much different to 1.16, it's not like it has become a totally new program.

Maybe each entry should be able to hold different versions, and _also_ be able to link to an entry for a newer version.
Then 0.1-0.6 could be in one entry, and then when a big enough change has happened someone can decide to create another entry for 0.7 and put a link in 0.6 to 0.7, and so on...
This way the version history of a piece of software could be tracked more easily.
2005-10-09 19:49
Rattus
Account closed

How about a latest version n."" by "" from a simple link... others by normal procedure.... Quite often programs tend to improve by later versions.... not all though...
2005-10-10 16:38
tlr

here are two kind of problems talked about here.
Graham talks about multiple minor revisions of a program actively maintained by the same person/group of people.
I share his views, but I also want to accommodate for things like this:
Turbocopy V1.0 -> Turbocopy/Crunch V2.0 -> Turbocopy/Crunch V3.0
or
Compacker V2.0 -> Compacker V2.1

A lot of improvement and constructive ripping (not always credited) was going on in the early days. It would be nice to be able to track it.
2005-10-10 16:42
Zyron

Perhaps it would be possible to implement some kind of "relationship"-thingy in the code so you could link releases together in some way...not sure how to explain what I'm striving at :)
2005-10-10 21:36
Burglar

Quote: Perhaps it would be possible to implement some kind of "relationship"-thingy in the code so you could link releases together in some way...not sure how to explain what I'm striving at :)

yeah, like add parent_id foreign key constraint release_id.
if NULL, its not tied, if defined, its a subversion of parent_id. possibly add a version_id to add version info.

not sure how csdb is setup under the hood, but shouldnt be hard to add...
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Knight Rider/TREX
Medicus
megasoftargentina
Shake/Role
Alakran_64
Fulgore/Excess