Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > f(r)ont editor
2006-10-01 15:51
maestro

f(r)ont editor

does anyone know if once you make a picture in this tool there is anything that convert the picture into something easier to put it into a demo??

... 7 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-10-01 16:39
maestro

font editor v3.2 even saves the file in .prg aswell....i dont know what else i can say.....or how to explain it any better...

2006-10-01 16:51
Scout

Quote: font editor v3.2 even saves the file in .prg aswell....i dont know what else i can say.....or how to explain it any better...

Does it save a .prg file on your harddisk or does it save it a prg-file in your d64-image?

---
8Bit Mayhem - The C64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.untergrund.net
2006-10-01 18:20
chatGPZ

Quote:
Does it save a .prg file on your harddisk or does it save it a prg-file in your d64-image?

...what exactly would be the difference? :o)

@maestro: really, give a link to that editor :)
2006-10-01 21:08
Devia

Turbo Assembler also saves in PRG, as does 99% of all tools that output some sort of data. PRG is not a "file format" per say, but rather a way of storing a file on a 1541.
As Scout said, load the file and check out it's contents with a monitor.. To make any sense of it, you'd have to know what to look for though ;-)

For more info on PRG, SEQ, USR, REL, DEL, < and * read through the 1541 User Manual.

Hmm.. that really didn't help you much though did it? :)

Btw, are you referring to this: F(r)ont Editor V3 ??
2006-10-01 21:48
maestro

well yes devia i think you bamboozled me more than you helped :)

the link was to the correct program though!!

what i would like to know for someone who has used this program before...how can i access the artwork so it can be put into a intro or demo
2006-10-01 21:51
Scout

Answer my question first...
Otherwise we are getting nowhere.

---
8Bit Mayhem - The C64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.untergrund.net
2006-10-01 22:00
chatGPZ

havent looked at the program in detail, but it looks like just another regular font editor - so what it saves is just a plain charset. load it, and set $d018 (and maybe $dd00) accordingly, and print the right charmatrix to screen. thats pretty much all about it.

that said, i dont know a tool to convert that stuff to koala offhand - however, that would be a pretty stupid idea anyway, charset should be just as easy to use, and it even takes less memory =)
2006-10-01 22:11
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

F(r)ont Editor is a character-set editor done by old mate of me...

I guess that .prg file is just the file saved by the tool, hence the grafix someone have made...

So why not just copy f(r)ont editor and that .prg file into a .d64-image (use 64Copy for example to create/copy) and then just run the tool and load your file??

It should find as the grafix is on the same disk then attached in the emu..
don't know if you could attach the .prg file directly (or even a local folder on hdd) after running the f(r)ont editor?!....

this is just a wild guess, but that's what I would do to find out if that .prg-file could be loaded by f(r)ont editor...
2006-10-02 23:54
Tim
Account closed

hiya Maestro..

i absolutely loved front editor as a simpel and effective tool to make single color gfx.

Since I never transferred my own disks, not much of what I used it for is online, however this is a good example:
The Dragon's Tower

not being able to code more then the absolute lda, sta basics I still managed to use it quite nicely and any beginner coder should be able to look at the 'code' (serious.. 1 hour of coding study should be enough to figure it out)

It really is 'cheating' since you use
lda #$19
sta $d018
to 'activate' the 1x1 char and logo at once in a very easy way..

memory $2000 - $2800 contains the 1x1 charset AND logo
memory $0C00 - $1000 contains the screen display

lda #$19
sta $d018
is all you need and then just copy 0c00-1000 to 0400 and it displays on the screen..

although this example is pretty static I actually used this kind of code for endless small thingies :)

If you are talking about converting a 3 color logo made in f(r)ont editor well.. you could use a charwandler program or just the lazy way.. freeze using cartridge.. if i remember several cartridges had a way of ripping the screen and saving as koala paint format.

hope that helps
2006-10-03 00:04
Tim
Account closed

Quote: F(r)ont Editor is a character-set editor done by old mate of me...

I guess that .prg file is just the file saved by the tool, hence the grafix someone have made...

So why not just copy f(r)ont editor and that .prg file into a .d64-image (use 64Copy for example to create/copy) and then just run the tool and load your file??

It should find as the grafix is on the same disk then attached in the emu..
don't know if you could attach the .prg file directly (or even a local folder on hdd) after running the f(r)ont editor?!....

this is just a wild guess, but that's what I would do to find out if that .prg-file could be loaded by f(r)ont editor...

Marauder if you ever speak to your old mate, please be sure to thank him for me! I seriously spent so many hours using that tool that is must have been hundreds if not thousands!!!

It's by far the most perfect or elite graphics tool, however I personally never really needed more then this and even though I managed to crash the program sometimes I could always still use a cartridgemonitor, save the memory, reload and re-insert..

There's not a single time when my PC hangs that I do not remember f(r)onteditor and wish all pc programs were alike.

The only thing that ever came close to the fun I had with this program maybe was Tao's boardpainter tool
TBoard-Painter V1.1 Pro
but naturally that's a different format graphics.

sigh.. sweet nostalgia *grin*
i'll probably load it up to make a quick graphics for the x-2006 just for the fun of it :)

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 103
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)