Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > entering personal details of ppl who are still active on other systems
2003-06-25 21:54
Slator

entering personal details of ppl who are still active on other systems

hello folks,
I have the bad feeling about persons who enter personal stuff of other ppl, like what they do on other systems (I stumbled over someone today where some lamo wrote that he is a member of razor 1911 on pc, his private phone# and his real email address.

how stupid can one be.

please make sure that you don't enter details of others ppl that you would not like to have displayed by yourself.

just think, you encrypt everythin, incl. your daily drops in the 00-department and some fucker writes your personal stuff into a database like this and you can google your private stuff soonish.

STOP THAT!

THINK before entering risky data!

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-06-26 07:33
Stryyker

Wouldn't it also be better to remove real name too? Atleast here in Oz if someone has a publicly listed phone number then it can be found by only knowing name
2003-06-26 07:40
TDJ

Well, to be honest, I like knowing the real names of sceners. Makes sceners more 'human' so to speak. Plus without real names, it will be *real* hard to make the distinction between certain people (for example: check how many Merlins there are)
2003-06-26 10:53
dalezy

well, there's quite some info about the real names of sceners to be found in demos or even single extracted sid files in the hvsc compilations ..

well, someone registered me here and put in my realname aswell, i didn't really care and took over organizing my account after i noticed that. (though i'd like to know who took the effort and even uploaded a picture of me =)
2003-06-26 11:47
Black Belt Jones
Account closed

Quote: well, there's quite some info about the real names of sceners to be found in demos or even single extracted sid files in the hvsc compilations ..

well, someone registered me here and put in my realname aswell, i didn't really care and took over organizing my account after i noticed that. (though i'd like to know who took the effort and even uploaded a picture of me =)

a secret admirer perhaps :-)

to all posts above, agreed. some people can be very protective and paranoid about their private details. i know i can be sometimes. i took off my last name a few months ago.

it dosen't matter whether these details will show in a search engine or not. thats not a justification to say "oh, a search engine wont find it so ill just put this person's details up". thats like putting someones phone number on the inside of a public toilet door instead of on national TV. less people will see it but that still dosen't make it right....

i need some action, maybe theres some new phone numbers in the public toilets down the road ;-)
2003-06-26 12:16
Slator

guess fade left his # there as he is in need of some quids :D

respect
2003-06-26 12:58
dalezy

Quote: I would just mention that google and other search engienes/crawlers will NOT see this type of personal information.
And if they read our robot.txt they will not even go in on any record.

This ofcause dosn't mean that the previous post is without a point.
You should always only write information regarding yourself, or if writing info on other ppl, get their permission first unless it's totally harmless info.

well, alltheweb.com for example does show it.
2003-06-26 13:59
Perff
Administrator

Quote: well, alltheweb.com for example does show it.

That depends what you mean by showing it?
Please explain.

Sure it links to CSDb scener entries, but when it's crawler came by it didn't see the sceners email and phone etc. (can't really remember what we filter out)
2003-06-26 15:41
dalezy

right, the info isn't shown in the search results. but you're just one click away from the desired data, which doesn't make much difference.
2003-06-26 19:45
Perff
Administrator

Quote: right, the info isn't shown in the search results. but you're just one click away from the desired data, which doesn't make much difference.

But ONLY if you have a CSDb account and have an active coockie in your browser. Try to log out and check the page again.

And if you have an account you know of CSDb and would have chekced there before cheking the search engiene.

Don't get me wrong on this one. I STILL think it's wrong if ppl enter sensitive info on someone without their permission, but as a small (but far from perfect solution) we have made it so only CSDb-users can see this info.

My point is: If you have no idea of what CSDb is and just surfing around the net you will NOT find ppl's phone and email etc from a CSDb-page.
2003-06-27 00:08
Stryyker

Seems my post got lost...

My point about names is they can be traced to addresses/phone numbers in a number of countries. There could be a handful that don't want their names here.

For me it doesn't matter as no one bugs me.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
ptoing
Guests online: 101
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)