Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Wanted! Coder for MapEddi2 hack
2008-10-27 23:41
v3to

Wanted! Coder for MapEddi2 hack

Hi there. I am searching for a coder who would like to hack a rather unique C64 tool.
MapEddi2 originally had been developed by Mario Knezovic/Bonespark and was supposed to create character based backgrounds for the never released game “Lethal Xcess”.

The editor supports basic features like variable maps (about 20 screens max), multicolour charsets and 2x2 blocks. Most interesting feature is a something I would call mini-fli. It is possible to switch up to two usually fixed colours or one colour plus the whole character sets each block line.
The graphic artist is able to use three character/block sets for each background map. There are no restrictions related to the resolution.

But there is a problem with the controls, because it requires a special adaptor and an Amiga- or Atari ST mouse. There is only one existing adaptor left and unfortunately it is broken.

IMHO it is a tragedy that this phenomenal tool is useless this way. I would be very pleased if somebody could create a hack with a 1581 mouse support. The result is dedicated to the scene – non profit.

Weblink mapeddi2.d64

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-12-12 11:47
v3to

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for this version, it really looks promising. Here my first impressions by using Vice. I will check this on my C128 later.

The mouse-buttons are switched and for some reason the program crashes if I tried to load a file.
You will get a pointer in the disk menu if you read the directory first. It is some kind of initialising process, because the original adapter is connected through the serial port and affects the diskdrive sometimes (probably not the most elegant way to do that)...
2008-12-12 13:07
Ninja

The crash is probably because the mouse driver gets overwritten by the loaded file. I assumed the current place for that code is not safe yet, but I could not load a file for testing :) Will fix this and the switched mouse buttons this evening.

The original adapter was connected to the serial? From the code, I'd say it was connected to Port2. Or was there more to that adaptor than just mouse?
2008-12-12 14:31
v3to

Port 2 is right. The serial port was used for the right mousebutton (don't ask, I do not know the reason why)...
just found a photo of the adapter.
2008-12-14 20:16
Lubber

mmh, why not simply use some keystrokes instead of designing a special hardware just to get the right mouse button working? (i mean that was back in 1991 then!)

Besides that: The game looks just great! (very good conversion comparing to the amiga-screenshots)

i wonder the "minifli"-routine and the spritemultiplexer worked without flickering
2008-12-14 21:18
chatGPZ

lol, that adapter is weird =) it's not like its a problem to use a second button with the regular joyport =)
2008-12-14 21:52
Oswald

Quote: mmh, why not simply use some keystrokes instead of designing a special hardware just to get the right mouse button working? (i mean that was back in 1991 then!)

Besides that: The game looks just great! (very good conversion comparing to the amiga-screenshots)

i wonder the "minifli"-routine and the spritemultiplexer worked without flickering

well, I'd use a timer-nmi interrupt to hit the badlines, and raster irqs for multiplexing. thus, "mini fli" changes would have a priority over multiplexing, which can survive a delay of a rasterline or two if it's coded with the nmi's in mind, and there are not too much sprites around.
2008-12-15 06:36
Ninja

gpz: well, the second button was routed to POTX and there seemed to be a problem, that it could get stuck. Maybe this additional line from the serial port was kind of a reset for that button? Who knows, maybe the hardware will show up again, then we can have a look.

By the way, Veto and I consider the case of converting the editor to 1351 closed by now :D
2008-12-24 00:45
v3to

phew. it is done.
2008-12-28 23:44
v3to

Quote: well, I'd use a timer-nmi interrupt to hit the badlines, and raster irqs for multiplexing. thus, "mini fli" changes would have a priority over multiplexing, which can survive a delay of a rasterline or two if it's coded with the nmi's in mind, and there are not too much sprites around.

Mario told me recently that this is exactly the way he did...
2009-01-02 23:55
TNT
Account closed

Quote: lol, that adapter is weird =) it's not like its a problem to use a second button with the regular joyport =)

Not all mice are equal. I have a Roctec Amiga mouse which works just fine with Amiga but buttons refuse to work with C64. Not a big loss, it's crap anyway :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
Apollyon/ALD
Aomeba/Artline Desig..
Broti/DT/KRN
zscs
Guests online: 120