Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Marauding E$G/IBB pandora's 5 1/4 boxeS!
2009-01-20 11:02
E$G

Marauding E$G/IBB pandora's 5 1/4 boxeS!

A long time ago I started to collect 64 progs&demos. THEY have been part of my life together with Amiga of an underworld full of friendship/wars/jealousy/pleasure & happyness a rush to be fast, to collect more & more, to be always updated, to prove your skill.
I did it full time, in multitaskin' (due to harware limitation I have many computers & drivers!). Then I slow down as the productions and the scene was goin' to disappear.
All the stuff I collected heap of 5 1/4 disks is still there!
I don't know if the bits&bytes survived the time.
After have spent part of my life readin' scrolls, hearin' nice tunez as many friends I've found here did, I never dropped the love for this machine.
So many asked me if I had some of my old disks, that's true all are there I suppose among 10000-15000! Many offered to convert the whole bunch but due to massive weight the sending costs in europe will be too high.
After many request, email, chat & so on I decided to proceed on my own.
This means slooooow conversion but who cares it's not a matter of time just a matter to have them all!
As I told you I traded a lot from 1985-1992, got contact with people met on magazines, scene and so on, then from '92 to '95 I got 'em mainly from boardz.
Today I have ordered the XM1541 cable, not fast for sure but the free space on my desk&house is very limitated so this was the startin' solution I will buy for sure a 1541 Ultimate in the future.
According to the lil' time I have, my daughter (3 and half years old) takes most of time, in the late evening I will start to transfer the disks.
I hope to receive soon the cable, I hope that 1541 chips will work, I hope to set all correctly. According to this I try to do something in febraury and I hope on the IDES of MARCH to share something! Great expectations.

-----------------------
Since I'm a beginner in the conversions even if I had collected progs & tools it would be nice to avoid errors or bad converions to know exactly what program to use in XP, if there are some fast/easy/useful tools to create a text file of the contents of the d64 images (like the one we find in SWASTI pack) let me know the name.

-----------------------

When the archives will be created I wish to share it zipped or rared on rapidshare service, I own a premium account there but if I'm not wrong in the past there where some problems. Let me know and maybe I will try to share it on other services.

Last words ... don't expect so much most of stuff is already out expecially the one of big cracks name, among the disks I will have for sure double, triple, n-ple disks exactly the same (maybe just the name in the bam change), I have usually left the disks in raw format, come as they got it, when I spread 'em I usually changed SPREAD by E$G/IBB or add some dirs. Maybe, since I traded with many americans, you will find some educational or utility not here or in collections or minor groups cracks.

-------------------------

If it will find useful I can put in the notes (if written on the envelope who sent me the disks) i.e. Twilight of TRIAD. I won't waste time adding notes about singular traders with no handle or group i.e. Peter from WIESBADEN - GERMANY

That's all folks ... stay tuned next months for more infos & some sharing ....

Enrico a.k.a. E$G of Italian Bad Boys

ps I wish to greet all my contacts & friends, all the ones shared their archives or updated the CSDb but overall those people who pushed me to start the conversions or offered themselves to do it!

Acidchild
rambones
MdZ
tmb
Freddie
Skylab
Acidchild
swasti
The Overkiller
Mustaine
iAN CooG
Mason
cba
Burglar

... 35 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-26 13:23
E$G

Quote: @E$G

did you have some norwegian contacts?, i am specially interested in these releases if you have any.... a zipped file for download would be nice.

Yes I had some contacts up there ... my fave one was Hellmates, since my collection is all mixed up you have to check my transfers as slowly will appear....

ciao
2009-01-26 13:31
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Yep, Mamasoft (RIP)-Tiger-Wildcat did most of the job. You can find also some redistribution of their imports/tradin' they just added their intro. I didn't trade so much in Italy there where few groups and just some of 'em released something.

I doubt Wildcat had an important role for intro coding (rumors say it was more a code stealer or ripper), I'd say also (among with Mamasoft and Tiger) Rasterburner, Bartman and Rock played an important role for ICS intros... Let's wait and see what will come out from your Pandora's Box :)
2009-01-26 22:42
d0c

Quote: Yes I had some contacts up there ... my fave one was Hellmates, since my collection is all mixed up you have to check my transfers as slowly will appear....

ciao

i will check, there are a few hellmates releases here already so some new one would be great to find :)
2009-01-27 07:48
E$G

Some more disks transferred yesterday evening we are checking if the hardware/software works fine so I can go on with the job, some B sides got errors due to old magnetic media. More to come!
2009-01-29 09:34
E$G

Yesterday I did just few disks transfers. According to MdZ opencbm has no extra bytes to take track of the errors in the disks. Star Commander has got this function but since it must be used in pure dos with an hd formatted with FAT 32 due to my personal HW configuration and other use of my pc I can't use it.
Other problem we have is that when a transfer is done with opencbm from 1541 to pc some CRC can be created so we won't have a 100% copy of my masters.
MdZ wrote to the programmer of Opencbm askin' to implement this function.
For this reason i stopped the transfers.
I will do just few ones to share the 1st package, that probably will be redone, as soon as we will find new solutions.
Consider that in this package you will find 3 back sides with errors (bumpin' head) and some cracks/demos won't work probably due to not workin' copy from the traders who sent me the disks.

So stay tuned in next few days and let's keep our fingers crossed.

E$G
2009-01-29 09:49
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Quote:

...due to ntfs partition and dos tool as Star Commander I'm using right now cbm4win.

...Star Commander has got this function but since it must be used in pure dos with an hd formatted with FAT 32 due to my personal HW configuration and other use of my pc I can't use it.

why not just add an extra fat/fat32 partition and boot with a dos-disk?? works fine for me....
2009-01-29 10:01
E$G

Quote: Quote:

...due to ntfs partition and dos tool as Star Commander I'm using right now cbm4win.

...Star Commander has got this function but since it must be used in pure dos with an hd formatted with FAT 32 due to my personal HW configuration and other use of my pc I can't use it.

why not just add an extra fat/fat32 partition and boot with a dos-disk?? works fine for me....

I don't have a 3 1/2 drive into pc and I have to use the pc under xp for other activities too. Maybe a virtual machine like VMWARE will work with dos under xp system. We have to verify with Mason if it could be possible.
I've other 2 pc but they have no parallel port and due to low free space in my house I have no place for 64 (1541 Ultimate or other solutions will be better & faster too). thanx anyway

2009-01-29 10:18
Frantic

You can use an old Windows95/98 cd to boot into DOS I think. (...and combine that with a small FAT partition, in order to be able to save stuff when being in DOS mode).
2009-01-29 10:28
sailor

I haven't tried, but would it be possible to boot from a USB-stick(some motherboards support this) and run xfer-program from it/save images onto it ?
2009-01-29 21:20
Skylab

Enrico I am using another PC (real hardware no vm) with a fat32 formatted harddisk which I connect after transferring to my normal PC using a external USB-Box. I boot the second machine with a CD called Ultimate Boot CD, where I can choose between some bootdisks. Works perfect. You can also boot from an usb-stick, but that depends on your motherboard. And the reason why I am using another machine is quite simple, so I can do other things while transferring.

Seems that a 1541-II does a better job than other drives. Using 100% Isopropanol to clean heads. If the heads are spinning and spinning and you can't get a disk read anymore you can also try to insert that white transportation piece. Another good hint is to format a disk.

Enrico learning by doing... Waiting for your packages...

Greetz!
Sascha
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
radius75
BroneCk/Samar^BooM!
Broti/DT/KRN
Twilight/Excess/Arcade
Honesty/Covenant/Ons..