Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Marauding E$G/IBB pandora's 5 1/4 boxeS!
2009-01-20 11:02
E$G

Marauding E$G/IBB pandora's 5 1/4 boxeS!

A long time ago I started to collect 64 progs&demos. THEY have been part of my life together with Amiga of an underworld full of friendship/wars/jealousy/pleasure & happyness a rush to be fast, to collect more & more, to be always updated, to prove your skill.
I did it full time, in multitaskin' (due to harware limitation I have many computers & drivers!). Then I slow down as the productions and the scene was goin' to disappear.
All the stuff I collected heap of 5 1/4 disks is still there!
I don't know if the bits&bytes survived the time.
After have spent part of my life readin' scrolls, hearin' nice tunez as many friends I've found here did, I never dropped the love for this machine.
So many asked me if I had some of my old disks, that's true all are there I suppose among 10000-15000! Many offered to convert the whole bunch but due to massive weight the sending costs in europe will be too high.
After many request, email, chat & so on I decided to proceed on my own.
This means slooooow conversion but who cares it's not a matter of time just a matter to have them all!
As I told you I traded a lot from 1985-1992, got contact with people met on magazines, scene and so on, then from '92 to '95 I got 'em mainly from boardz.
Today I have ordered the XM1541 cable, not fast for sure but the free space on my desk&house is very limitated so this was the startin' solution I will buy for sure a 1541 Ultimate in the future.
According to the lil' time I have, my daughter (3 and half years old) takes most of time, in the late evening I will start to transfer the disks.
I hope to receive soon the cable, I hope that 1541 chips will work, I hope to set all correctly. According to this I try to do something in febraury and I hope on the IDES of MARCH to share something! Great expectations.

-----------------------
Since I'm a beginner in the conversions even if I had collected progs & tools it would be nice to avoid errors or bad converions to know exactly what program to use in XP, if there are some fast/easy/useful tools to create a text file of the contents of the d64 images (like the one we find in SWASTI pack) let me know the name.

-----------------------

When the archives will be created I wish to share it zipped or rared on rapidshare service, I own a premium account there but if I'm not wrong in the past there where some problems. Let me know and maybe I will try to share it on other services.

Last words ... don't expect so much most of stuff is already out expecially the one of big cracks name, among the disks I will have for sure double, triple, n-ple disks exactly the same (maybe just the name in the bam change), I have usually left the disks in raw format, come as they got it, when I spread 'em I usually changed SPREAD by E$G/IBB or add some dirs. Maybe, since I traded with many americans, you will find some educational or utility not here or in collections or minor groups cracks.

-------------------------

If it will find useful I can put in the notes (if written on the envelope who sent me the disks) i.e. Twilight of TRIAD. I won't waste time adding notes about singular traders with no handle or group i.e. Peter from WIESBADEN - GERMANY

That's all folks ... stay tuned next months for more infos & some sharing ....

Enrico a.k.a. E$G of Italian Bad Boys

ps I wish to greet all my contacts & friends, all the ones shared their archives or updated the CSDb but overall those people who pushed me to start the conversions or offered themselves to do it!

Acidchild
rambones
MdZ
tmb
Freddie
Skylab
Acidchild
swasti
The Overkiller
Mustaine
iAN CooG
Mason
cba
Burglar

... 35 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-22 13:24
grennouille

It seems to be a great product but... 119,00 EUR
Euro = 195,289$ CAD
Canada Dollars

I'll buy one when Euro money will lost value.
2009-01-22 13:42
ΛΛdZ

Q: Did anyone get WarpCopy to work with 1541U yet ?
- if yes, please tell how u did it ;)

Until WarpCopy works with the 1541U+NET its not the best
solution compared to the XM1541(X-series) cables.
When 1541U works with warpcopy there is still bugs in
warpcopy that should be fixed. Also the need of a c64/1541
/monitor + PC is taking some space... And this solution is
much more expensive. (150EUR).

For transferring purposes E$G should choose a X-serie cable
(1541XM, 15 EUR) and using Starcommander(well tested) for
transferring. Just requiring a 1541, pc with parallel port +
x-cable. In lack of transfer quality he can use the
OpenCBM + win-gui.. but its still not tested too good and
has some downsides when it comes to transffering thousands
of disks...

15.0000 disks - oh boy! That is a bunch of true history!

Remember to use a 1541-II model, as this is much easier to
clean...

2009-01-23 02:49
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: It seems to be a great product but... 119,00 EUR
Euro = 195,289$ CAD
Canada Dollars

I'll buy one when Euro money will lost value.

Dont complain man :)

its under half price of a new drive in 1985, and same price as 2 new pc games.

2009-01-24 22:38
E$G

Ready, steady, NOT GO!!
Today I've got the package with the cables. So I spent the day with my family, gettin' excited for the evening since I wish to check if all was ok. Never been so luck at 1st try ... so ...
I installed CBM4Win with the gui checked the cables tested the dos instcbm then instcbm --check all was ok launched the gui ... then switched off.

Back to few days ago ... I went to my parents to get 1 box with about 300 disks inside ... closed carefully. Get my 1541-II (I own another one but without power supplier).

So according to MdZ advice I opened it, cleaned a little the head and removed the few dust inside .. no insects or mortal bacteria too! Then take a tea (peach) and ready to jump back in the glorious days ...
I get a cutter opened the main box ... inside there are all the single boxed containing 5 1/4 floppies ...
I got a chill on lmy back I opened the 1st one ... written on the label AMIGA LIBRARY DISK 277 ... I opened the others ... all AMIGA disks on 5 1/4 with fish disks, magazine disks and source code 68000 disks! .... too bad ... old memories ...
On the main box there was written C64 (i suppose my father did more than 20 years ago!)
My memories go back to 1988 when I went to Osnabrueck to met Thomas/Quartex leader. I asked him if he had a chance to get me a 5 1/4 floppy reader since some contacts of mine traded only with it. Funny because even if it was formatted for 800k I had less errors than with 1541 174k.
He asked to his friend I suppose was the executor (RIP) or other members in THE CHAMPS and the day after got the disk.

So I've closed the box. Next week I will go to my parents to get another one! I will check there if it's not another Amiga one or even worst Apple II (I've about 1000 floppy for my 1st love machine!)

So get ready next week I will start to do some transfers maybe I will do a lil' zip so you can check if it works.

Due to lack of space I've deciced to sell at a cheap price my bulk 64 disks it means the ones with no written or special stickers or envelopes of course I will keep the other ones. So if in the future you will see an auction from me don't bet be4 ask because all the disks will be shared before here.

Ciao to everyone ... go to see Defiance...

2009-01-25 07:38
ΛΛdZ

Great E$G!

Now the important thing is to get the setup tested,
so we know that it works. Using the OpenCBM + CBMXfer
is the easiest way.

When verified that it works (=you can transfer disks),
we might discuss changing to the DOS tool
StarCommander, which is much more used in practice.
(== has NO errors any more).

When you start the actual transfer of the 15K disks, then
you should do a few practical things to avoid disks with
too many errors and ensure possibility of retransfering a
few disks. (also the might be disks that needs special
transfer setup, >35 tracks or GCR format(G64))

Practical:
1) Keep the 1541-II open, so you can clean the head quickly.
A sign of dirt on the head will lead to many errors on
the disks transfered... easy to spot :/
I usually use plain water and a cotton bud.

2) Keep the disks & boxes in order. Mark the boxes(Box X)
and if the disks are not numbered (I guess there are not)
then just put in some paper stating 50, 100. The you can
easily fetch disks back from the box(s) if they require
retransfering (read fixing errors), so we get the missing
releases working (if possible).

To spot the amount of disks with errors is easy - just sort
the disk-files in filesize order. 171K == no errors, 172K == has error(s).

All the best,
MdZ
2009-01-25 22:59
E$G

Hunting high & low ... opened some boxes this afternoon to my parent's house ... other amiga on 5 1/4, some Apple but at least some c64 ... of course are not sorted in period order so they'll come as they will be picked ... due to ntfs partition and dos tool as Star Commander I'm using right now cbm4win. I suppose all disks I have are cracked but the ones with marked on envelope if there are extra tracks to copy I did most of my tradin' with speedos and an american program ( i can't remember the name) workin' with 2 drives.
So when we find a disk with errors we will check how to do the transfer ...
I suppose was a lil' faster it's about 80 sec a side ... of course no hurry so let's transfer & wait ...
the stuff I'm processing is from ICS (italy) got it by snail mail or from their USA bbs.

Stay tuned 4 the 1st up ... ciao to everyone ... E$G

2009-01-26 11:19
E$G

Quote: hi E$G,

i use this tool for dirlistings:
D64scan V0.3

there are some other good tools.

great that you start converting the disks!!
on xp i think cbm4win is good - cant tell it right now - i use mmc-replay with rr-net.

swasti

Hi, thanx for help, MdZ told me this about :
D64Lister 1.6.3

by Lars

To make dir-lists there are more programs to do that
but for a start this one is VERY easy to use:
http://www.hardworks.de/D64Lister.zip

2009-01-26 12:02
The Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Hunting high & low ... opened some boxes this afternoon to my parent's house ... other amiga on 5 1/4, some Apple but at least some c64 ... of course are not sorted in period order so they'll come as they will be picked ... due to ntfs partition and dos tool as Star Commander I'm using right now cbm4win. I suppose all disks I have are cracked but the ones with marked on envelope if there are extra tracks to copy I did most of my tradin' with speedos and an american program ( i can't remember the name) workin' with 2 drives.
So when we find a disk with errors we will check how to do the transfer ...
I suppose was a lil' faster it's about 80 sec a side ... of course no hurry so let's transfer & wait ...
the stuff I'm processing is from ICS (italy) got it by snail mail or from their USA bbs.

Stay tuned 4 the 1st up ... ciao to everyone ... E$G

ICS did a lot of nice crack intros that surely could catch the interest of some collectors, also I hope you can bury out some not so famous italian old cracking groups...
Good work Italian Bad Boy ;-)
2009-01-26 12:49
d0c

@E$G

did you have some norwegian contacts?, i am specially interested in these releases if you have any.... a zipped file for download would be nice.
2009-01-26 13:08
E$G

Quote: ICS did a lot of nice crack intros that surely could catch the interest of some collectors, also I hope you can bury out some not so famous italian old cracking groups...
Good work Italian Bad Boy ;-)

Yep, Mamasoft (RIP)-Tiger-Wildcat did most of the job. You can find also some redistribution of their imports/tradin' they just added their intro. I didn't trade so much in Italy there where few groups and just some of 'em released something.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
iAN CooG/HVSC
megasoftargentina
da Blondie/Resource
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
A3/AFL