Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Looking for C64 programmer [paid]
2015-03-07 11:01
Disthron
Account closed

Looking for C64 programmer [paid]

Hi everyone,

I've been developing a retro throw back game for the PC in the style of the Commodore 64. I'm working on a Kickstarter project to get it finished and I was thinking of having an actual Commodore 64 port as one of the stretch goals.

No one on the team has any live C64 programming experience so I'm putting the call out to people who might be interested in working with us. The artwork will have to be converted. Our artists try to stay as faithful to C64 specs as possible but little things can still slip through the cracks. Also you'll basically be on your own programming wise. If you're interested in the project please send me a PM and we can talk more about specifics.

Since this will be a stretch goal I can't guarantee this will go ahead even if we get funded. But I need to talk to someone in order to know how much it will cost, and thus how much to ask for in the stretch goal.

Thanks for reading my post.
~Disthron

... 63 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-03-10 17:12
Six

The question was what would it cost to actually get it done. $25/hour was a conservative estimate for professional, experienced developers. I make almost twice that at my day job, and I'm nowhere near the top end of payscales for developers, especially niche developers.

Sure, you can round up a bunch of people, knock the bongs out of their hands for 5 minutes, and get them to commit to writing this game for $5/hour. You'll get a very predictable result, as evidenced by every other project of this sort to ever be attempted. You want a guarantee? Hire pros. You want a maybe? Round up volunteers.

Again, just my opinion, but I believe it's an opinion held up by years of projects like this being attempted.

My offer to help stands either way, as many other people have mentioned, it's not really about money. You'll do yourself a disservice, though, IMHO, if you don't at the very least invest in a professional project manager (Robin Harbron comes to mind).
2015-03-10 17:28
chatGPZ

mmmh i dont know, but i think some of you are spoiled by your IMHO pretty damn high salary :) i know a couple of professional game devers, and none of them comes even close to 25$ per hour. i know we have made a gameboy game on a 15k budget, with 3 people in around 6 months (do the math, no i dont know how the company could even exist, those 15k barely were enough for one persons salary =P). lots of mobile- and casual gaming stuff (ie what isnt AAA titles) gets similar budgets i have heard.

that said, i think the whole "paid" thing is the wrong path. you need to find someone who _wants_ to make this game. you cant possibly pay enough for salary being a relevant factor anyway.
2015-03-10 18:03
Six

Quoting Groepaz
mmmh i dont know, but i think some of you are spoiled by your IMHO pretty damn high salary :)

I have two part time jobs in addition to that full-time day job, and it's still a struggle sometimes to keep things afloat. Tell me again how spoiled I am.
2015-03-10 18:29
Burning Horizon

I think there are likely plenty of people who _want_ to make this game, and other games. There are far less people who _can_ make this game. There are fewer still that will work for free. The number of people who have the ability, and the desire, and will work for free likely very very few.

Also, in my experience, if you pay people to do things they are (hopefully) usually more driven to actually deliver. Also, in my experience, if people are doing something for free/for fun for you, it is very difficult to tell them how to do it, to follow specifications.

In any case, I agree with Six. If you want this to actually get completed, in a set amount of time, some set of people have to get something for it, and be responsible for it. I think hoping to find someone who wants to do this "for fun" and expect them to actually deliver something while adhering to any kind of specifications won't work.

In the end this is up to them how they want to proceed, this is just (free) information for them to digest. I'll grab my bucket of popcorn, sit back, and watch.
2015-03-10 18:51
Macbeth

Different economies, I guess. I'm pretty sure I got around $25/hour back in 2004 when I worked on the C64DTV and Hummer. I was making about the same doing IT work at my day job (here in Canada) too, and I was hardly the best paid in the company. Nowadays I find it pretty easy to find iOS dev work for $40+ per hour.

Game looks cool, and I hope you can find the right guy or team to make it happen!
2015-03-10 18:52
chatGPZ

Quote:
I have two part time jobs in addition to that full-time day job, and it's still a struggle sometimes to keep things afloat.

thats kindof interesting... with 5k a month you'd certainly have no such problems here whatsoever :)
2015-03-11 12:56
Disthron
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:
I have two part time jobs in addition to that full-time day job, and it's still a struggle sometimes to keep things afloat.

thats kindof interesting... with 5k a month you'd certainly have no such problems here whatsoever :)

Well, he didn't say he was making 5K a month, he said he had a full time job and 2 part time jobs.

But we are starting to get somewhat off topic I think.
2015-03-11 16:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
he didn't say he was making 5K a month, he said he had a full time job and 2 part time jobs.

math, can you do it? a fulltime job at $25/h is 5k/month (or perhaps 4.5 - but you get the idea)
2015-03-11 17:44
PopMilo

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:
he didn't say he was making 5K a month, he said he had a full time job and 2 part time jobs.

math, can you do it? a fulltime job at $25/h is 5k/month (or perhaps 4.5 - but you get the idea)

Well... To quoute Six "...$25/hour was a conservative estimate... I make almost twice that at my day job...".
According to math it's around $8k ;)

It's not that much off topic if question is can you find coder willing to code for an amount that someone else is ready to spend.
Imho it's quite reasonable for a someone earning $50/hour to employ someone who's ready to work for $5/hour...
As all is relative, $50 in New york can provide you with same services and goods as $5 in other part of the world...

$8k sounds like "funny money" to me. Facts from my part of world (Serbia) are that as an engineer in a factory in a small town I earn around $400 a month which is still good as average wage for most of the workers is around $250. Beauty of it is that with two paychecks like this my family lives quite well. We work 7-8 hours a day, have 3-4 weeks of vacations, travel to Rome, Vienna or Budapest and spend at least couple weeks every summer either in Montenegro or in Greece ...

If I need extra $100 I take additional paid work for $10-$20/hour... You can guess my feelings if you offer me $5 for an hour that I would spend anyway writing 6502 code. At least I don't have to explain to wife where those 100Eur for Retro Gamer subscription come from ;)

Anyway... Imho it's hard to estimate and promise any amount of money to develop something for C64 in advance. When was the last time someone wrote a beat-em-up mixed up with RPG on C64 ? There are too many unknowns...

My suggestion to Disthron is to provide some graphics for testing purposes and let the guys with extra time and c64 love try to do something cool with it. If tests succeed then you can try to gather further support and push the game to the finish line with what ever it takes - be it passion or cold, hard cash ;)
2015-03-11 19:52
CreaMD

I don't want to be off-topic (I'm really sorry for that), but Groepaz, you should consider the possibility that $50 (or $25) isn't necessarily flat rate $400 or 200, but it can be time-tracked task based work. I myself work that way. I charge 15-25 EUR depending on clients and tasks, but my average income is about 1700 EUR brutto / month (based on average from last 2 years). (I could earn twice as much but I don't... which is caused by laziness and passive aggressive behavior ;-) (that second thing is a novelty, I realized that few days ago and now I study myself for symptoms ;-)). And even when it's quite nice money over here, I'm constantly out of money ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
Guests online: 118
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)