Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Handle id #6826 : The Arrogance
2007-09-27 20:09
Rough
Account closed

Handle id #6826 : The Arrogance

this entry should be divided into two persons and merged with the other nicks of those, TJ and Reptil.

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-10-20 19:33
bugjam

If you want to hide it, you have to be good at hiding.
Adding it and leaving it in the trivia for 17 years is just not a very good hiding strategy I assume.
I am sure there are many undetected fake handles floating around here, including from gpz. ;-)
Database integrity, however, is trying to link it down to individuals where possible. 1 scener with 50 handles != 50 sceners.
2023-10-21 10:05
Krill

Doesn't answer my question why there must be a link from handle to actual person in the first place. =)

Handles are like a brand. Different handle, different kind of product, possibly different quality as well.

Knowing who's behind this handle or that is trivia, but i still don't see just why it's so relevant as to ignore people's express wishes.

Not maintaining those aggregations is not the same as leaving that to the unwashed masses.

And it's not like there are significantly more handles than actual people floating around, i guess. Plus there'll always be a non-zero portion of yet-unknown multiple-handles-one-person links.
2023-10-21 10:45
TheRyk

Not every new or additional handle is a fake handle, however. The latter of course are usually meant to release something under false flag, e.g. rants, poor silly cracks and whatnot. Whereas in other cases someone just didn't like his old handle anymore, wanted to start a new career in a new group or whatever.

That some peeps openly flag their own fake handles THEMSELVES here on CSDb as fake or lamer label of their main label XYZ is another story. Not much stealth in that, but probably THEY WANT users to associate their fake label releases with the main label - might make no sense to me or you but it's _their_ decision.

@Krill: More than once I found the common practice of merging multi-handle sceners in one CSDb entry quite useful when looking for information such as which group(s) were the root(s) of another group etc.
2023-10-21 10:53
Krill

Quoting TheRyk
@Krill: More than once I found the common practice of merging multi-handle sceners in one CSDb entry quite useful when looking for information such as which group(s) were the root(s) of another group etc.
So, were you able to debunk that old myth that demoscene somehow was spawned from cracking scene, rather than co-evolving with some overlap pretty much at the same time? =)
2023-10-21 11:48
TheRyk

Personally, I'd say there's evidence for both, a demoscene evolving (more or less) independently from cracking (compunet) and demo groups directly emerging from cracking (crack intro) scene. But that's only my 2 cents, based on my experience aka what I (not) know. Anyway, there were groups starting with legal stuff and later doing cracks and the other way round, never did any deeper research on what was the case more often.

I guess your question would need someone writing his doctoral thesis evaluating all the data here... and in the end, I bet 5 quatloos that even that 'Doctor of Scene' will only come to some vague conclusion that both is true and there is not only one 'root' of demoscene.
2023-10-21 15:13
chatGPZ

Quote:
So, were you able to debunk that old myth that demoscene somehow was spawned from cracking scene, rather than co-evolving with some overlap pretty much at the same time? =)

Not sure how this is related - but any sane person knows that it was like this :)
2023-10-21 19:47
Frantic

Quote: Quote:

Not sure how this is related - but any sane person knows that it was like this :)

Did "it was like this" refer to the first or the second scenario, as described in Krill's post?
2023-10-22 13:04
chatGPZ

Demos and crack intros appeared at about the same time.
2023-10-22 13:10
Krill

Quoting chatGPZ
Demos and crack intros appeared at about the same time.
Then... quite a sizeable chunk of the demoscene is not sane? :)

I keep hearing (stage talks) and reading (forums, books, UNESCO) the same old myth time and again.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine. =)
2023-10-22 13:18
chatGPZ

I know. I have given up on it :) It's still better than the "Demoscene started on Amiga" nonsense some ppl keep telling :)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Brix/Plush
Acidchild/Padua
Alakran_64
Apollyon/ALD
Sokrates
Hairdog/BOOM!^Dream