Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Releases with "YF", "C.C.S" and "JT" in sysline.
2019-12-14 13:17
icon

Releases with "YF", "C.C.S" and "JT" in sysline.

Hi board!
I need a little input from you guys regarding the sceneiness of ceartain releses.
I stumble across a great deal of games that have no intro(cracktro), no info in the game of who cracked and packed it. I dont simply not put them up here coz they are not scene releases.
Then we have games with "YF", "C.C.S" and "JT" in the sysline.
YF=Yeti factory i suppose but would YF put out a crack without a proper intro? My take is that someone just use their packer. I dont upload them either for the moment.
Same goes to "C.C.S" witch I think refers to either "Computerbrains" OR "Cleveland Cracking Service". But same here is that someone who just use a packer from them or is them legimit releases from onw of the groups?
Any takes on this?

... 17 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-12-27 22:59
bugjam

Do you really think that every cracker, especially in the very early days, was so vain or even got the idea to make an intro for his release?
Get real.
The tool to check is available with unp64.
There _was_ a scene before you, you know. And for quite some time.
2019-12-28 01:03
Fungus

Like I said, in the old days there was a thing called BRANDING, which was done on every release I ever had from those times.

You should try to keep fake releases out of the db, if there is no undeniable proof, then it should be ignored. And a sysline is hardly undeniable proof.

Stop with your strawman arguments. This is simple logic.

And yes, EVERY CRACKER was VERY Vain, making a name for yourself was the whole point!
2019-12-28 01:08
Fungus

In fact, this should not even be up for public debate, it is a moderation issue. You should take it private and vote on it.
2019-12-28 15:09
icon

Fake releases and recracks should absolutely be uploaded here as they are a part of the scene history as everything else BUT they should be labeled accordingly.
2019-12-28 15:10
icon

With that said games just packed with a public cruncher and with no other names or groups attached to it should NOT be uploaded.
2019-12-28 22:15
Fungus

Sweet, let me transfer a bunch of 1982-1985 games and pack them with ancient crunchers/packers and upload them then. Clearly fake releases and part of scene history.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever debated. Is this lemon? I think I'm confused on what forum I'm on.
2019-12-29 02:09
Smasher

I agree with Fungus (who should pay Mr.Ammo a beer for the "smart", hihi): Icon's question should be addressed to the moderators.
Ian's and Bugjam's point of views are known already, rest should vote and give Icon an answer about what to do with the stuff he found. final task for Moloch: pls close topic b4 new year :)
2019-12-29 02:19
icon

@Fungus: Was that what I said? Realy? Now I recognize the old Fungus. Welcome, havent missed you a bit! Instead of wasting our time with irrelevant, sarcastic rants. Try to actual read what peoples actualy have said in the thread. Jesus...
2019-12-30 04:56
Fungus

It's just so stupid I can't help but be sarcastic.

Not sure why I bother tbh, I was trying to be objective but just more and more stupid arguments that make no sense.

What else can you do when people just make stuff up rather than be reasonable, it's the scene as usual.
2020-01-10 02:07
Radd Maxx

Quote: Yes but ripping, altering and linking an intro is a lot of work compared to some lamer who downloaded a cruncher from random place and compressed a file they found on some disk from who knows where.

Do you really think someone would go to such extremes to fake a release?

Get real.

Let me present to you The Chosen One. A very prolific fake releaser who did this very same thing. Some people even provided tools for this express purpose: Radical Right Wingers.

TCO even created entirely new title screens for games to make them look like something new. Some of these games are in Gamebase. I cant even guess what was going on with that guy. He put more work into some of these fakes than a lot of people did with real releases. This level of dedication certainly isnt common, but, it did happen.

As for keeping these out of the Db: Imagine that we delete these then 10 years later someone re-ups all these "missing" Impact releases and then I (if I'm still kicking) have to prove they're fake again, etc. I've been using the Db since 2006 or so to help me ID stuff, I know I want as much info as possible.

Reading here about the ego of crackers, it reminds me of the Shogun who only put his credits in REM lines, specifically saying that he didnt want to be another egotistical cracker. Running through my collection recently made me wonder at the amount of uncredited cracks I've ended up with over the years. I probably have more anonymous cracks than "real" ones even ones with modern protection from 87-89. They cant all have had their intros ripped off of them, there must have been some people out there that didnt want to be known.

Finally, it is true that sometimes the only crack credit that exist is in the SYS line. USUALLY it will say something specific, like "CRACKED BY ______". Special-Soft Crackings Incorporated's SCI 666 springs to mind as a "reliable" sys line, usually when you see this in sys, they did it. But there are few like this.

If it's more obscure than that you can run it through unp64 or go through the memory after decrunch and see if there's any clues. Also, some crunching programs are SO obscure that the only one who ever used them is the one who wrote them. Is it worth trying to figure all this shit out though? Ehhhhhh...maybe?? There's plenty out there to catalog that's not so clouded in mystery, so dont get too wrapped up in trying to figure out what SYS 2076 IT WAS ME I DID IT (I just saw this yesterday!) means.

Most of the time these anonymous crunches were just used as fodder for spread disks. So, it's entirely possible that someone from the 1001 Crew used a 1001 cruncher to pack that old game you found, but it wasnt "released", it was just thrown on a spread disk as something cool, a throw-back, a joke or whatever.

(btw Fungus this wasnt all directed at you or anything, I'm just trying to provide additonal perspective and you got me thinking about TCO and the rabbit hole of recracks and fake imports he led me down)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
zzarko
cobbpg
Clown
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 149