Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Splits and Side-Border demos
2015-05-13 22:06
The Phantom

Splits and Side-Border demos

Hey y'all...

I've recently found one of my projects, and it made me curious.

Are there any demos that use the side-borders AND have raster splits?

My old idea turned out to be quite tedious, so I stopped coding it. In seeing it again, I'm curious if anybody else has gone through the process, and really curious as to how they used the routines.

A link is provided under this. It shows I have my sprites in the side-borders AND has raster-splits (blue, purple, lt. blue and cyan). I have music playing, which you can't hear (obviously). That timing is displayed in the side-border (using that old inc $d020 dec $d020 trick). Also, you will be able to move forward or backward in the link, to view other pictures of other stuff. You can ignore that ;)
(those ARE wood carvings I made ;) )

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/festeezio/blah_zpsitjbot..

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-05-14 21:20
Dane
Account closed

You will find some splits and open side-border in Time Machine.
2015-05-15 04:15
The Phantom

@Dane - WOW... I forgot about that one... AWESOME...

Such a wonderful effect that is. 6 splits and 9 sprites in the side borders.. Incredible.. I only have 5 splits and would never have thought of a 9th sprite..

Thanks Dane :D
2015-05-15 09:44
tlr

Splits + border was quite common around 1988-1989 as I recall it. Didn't Horizon do lots of these?
2015-05-15 09:55
JackAsser

Quote: Really Krill?

I thought I asked you to stop answering my phone when you clean my house?

Just know, I don't care how old the effect is. They can always be improved on, unlike your personality.

If you've nothing productive to say, and obviously can't stay on topic, then please, STFU.

If you want to find an effect to improve I dare say you just picked the hardest one. Maybe more sprites over FLI is harder. Hey, now that you're on it, why not implement uflimax, nobody still haven't and I'm sure it's possible. :)
2015-05-15 10:20
chatGPZ

booooring
2015-05-15 11:48
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting tlr
Splits + border was quite common around 1988-1989 as I recall it.

Yeah, there's probably hundreds of variations on the general theme from that time (getting well into the thousands if you're not looking for Y movement or using sprite stretching) like Krill basically said; just off the top of my head and probably only remembering favourites, there are examples from Fairlight (Rutig Banan is a personal favourite because it's got the "traditional" DYSP with splits and a couple of scrolls which play with other registers like sprite colour or X expansion), Upfront (Mixer), Asia (High-Tec(H)), Tronix (Tomorrows Mirror, No Limits at All or Weird Limits), Origo (Abortion or Coitus), Triad (No Booze), Censor (still love the screenshot of Wonderland III) and i don't even know where to start with Crest! =-)
2015-05-15 11:50
Cresh

Tits and Side-Border demos is what we demand.
2015-05-15 13:39
The Phantom

Fantastic!

Thanks Everyone.. I'm sure I'll have some fun looking at these productions, even if for nostalgic value.

Also, I wasn't really looking to improve on an old routine, my routine just sort of happened. I was curious if anybody had actually done splits with a border kill and man, seeing Time Machine again, with the DYSP, 9 sprites and 6 splits.. Makes me think WTF am I doing?!
And please consider I'm an NTSC coder. Most of the stuff PAL groups do hasn't been done over here and often, I appreciate a good challenge.
A GOOD for instance is my border sprite stretcher is "sort of" similar to NTSC II [ntsc] . They have a better, more fluid stretch, mine is practically double the size, and I haven't quite figured out a good balance with the stretch data.

I'm not looking to beat any records though, not at all. But if I do, it would be a first (for me), and probably only last a couple days before someone takes it back.
2015-05-15 14:51
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Cresh
Tits and Side-Border demos is what we demand.

What, do the tits have to be in the borders or just tits and sideborders on the same screen...?

Quoting The Phantom
Thanks Everyone.. I'm sure I'll have some fun looking at these productions, even if for nostalgic value.

Most of those demos are still pretty hardcore even if there are better examples after them.

Quoting The Phantom
A GOOD for instance is my border sprite stretcher is "sort of" similar to NTSC II [ntsc] . They have a better, more fluid stretch, mine is practically double the size, and I haven't quite figured out a good balance with the stretch data.

Check Censor's PAL stuff because that's just a pared down version of the disk change part from Wonderland IX (and Wonderland X) which is probably about twice as tall...

Quoting The Phantom
I'm not looking to beat any records though, not at all. But if I do, it would be a first (for me), and probably only last a couple days before someone takes it back.

Most of the records come from nearly thirty years of hammering from some of the brightest minds going, even getting in the same general area will take a fuckton of lateral thinking, experience, ibuprofen and caffeine. Unroll all the loops, use self mod all the way, precalc anything even vaguely time intensive and, when none of that gets you even halfway to what the best examples are doing, try figuring out a good way to cheat.
2015-05-16 07:31
The Phantom

I think Mr. Sex did some amazing border stuff too.

I have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest. I really, REALLY like splits and never thought I could get 5 with side borders opened. It grabbed my curiosities, so I thought I would ask.

I love how many new demos act like the borders don't exist. I've always loved that and I think I have a decent way to open borders, so long as it works.

I doubt I set any world record, but it'd be fun to push myself a little harder. I've done some crazy split stuff, never had a need to go into the borders, but now that I'm there, how far can I go?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
B.A.
blitzed
psych
Frostbyte/Artline De..
Mason/Unicess