Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user tubesockor ! (Registered 2024-05-12) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > JMP $FCE2
2006-03-07 22:17
Wanderer
Account closed

JMP $FCE2

As you may know, I was in the scene from 1986 until 1992 during the most promising years on the C64. I decided to leave in 1992 due to lack of NTSC activity and the quality of the games was diminishing (Tetris and puzzle games).

In 2005 some of the guys on Drivenonline said it would be cool to make a comeback. It sure sounded like a cool idea. I sat down on my holidays and coded Something Fishy. I knew it wasn’t as good as some of my prior work but I was most happy with the results. CSDB and Driven were very supportive of my first demo in 13 years. The truth of the matter is, I LOVE programming. It took a while to find the old memory locations like sprite collision, etc. but after firing up the 64 brain cells once again, it all came back to me.

I met some old friends and made some new ones. I loved it. However as some of you read on Drivenonline around Christmas, I had been planning to stop working on the Commodore 64.

While coding Something Fishy, I realized that it takes a lot of time to program and I can’t really afford to invest TIME anymore to the C64. That’s the primary reason right there.

I really just DON’T HAVE THE TIME necessary to program and I think that what I’ve done, I’ve done to the best of my abilities and that I should let them speak for themselves. The motivation factor is also quite low which is why I re-used a lot of old graphics. I don’t feel like putting a lot of energy into things.

Naturally there were a few people who said, “all of your demos sucked”. I think that’s always the first insult leveled against a programmer, isn’t it? I simply referred to the private messages and praise on other forums to realize that people do appreciate what I do. It’s been a real fun comeback, often controversial too, but I loved every moment of it.

I decided, in December, to stick around to finish one last game and boy, was it a smash hit. The messages from people told me they loved it. Sure it had bugs but it’s not a commercial release. It’s a month’s worth of having fun on limited time. The funny part is, look at a lot of what was sold on the C64 market and you’ll find that it actually beat some of what was SOLD on the market. I think it was a pretty rocking little game, but we all have our own thoughts.

If I was that 17-year-old kid again, I might stay and produce more demos but alas, the real world beckons. March 1 was my deadline to stop working on the C64, but I wanted to upload a few more disks to CSDB.

Here are a few messages to those I’ve encountered…

Perff and Acidchild: Thank you for your devotion to CSDB. I know it seems to be a thankless task but we do appreciate it.

Kickback : It was nice to team up with you for a demo. Perhaps it would have been better to use only the two parts hehe. You have my email, drop me a line sometime.

Moloch : At times you seemed supportive, but at times it seemed like you were right there with a dagger ready to stick in my back. Nice to see you've stuck the years out though.

Acildchild and CBA : Thanks so much for finding my old releases. I’m glad I was able to return the favour by helping you two out. If you’re ever in Canada, let me know. We will share a pint.

Mermaid : Like I said, sometimes we’re too defensive that we become offensive. I’m glad that we were able to make amends. I respect what you do, and that you do it all by yourself. A public apology to you, I'm sorry.

Slarti : I have never in my life, seen anybody who has led such a self-destructive life as you or so openly stalked and annoyed people and then sought sympathy when you got what you deserved. Calling people retards on other forums, being banned, visiting my profile and release-comments every 3 minutes? Oh yes, I forgot to mention the hidden hit counter in the comments (look in the HTML). Every three minutes screams borderline personality to me, if not that, archiving my OldSkool demo comments hourly, if not that, creating entries for my releases elsewhere. For someone who doesn’t like me, and has even threatened me, you sure do spend an awful lot of time devoted to me. I’ll always remember you as a good slap-a-round clown :)

Style : You and Slarti haven’t released anything of substance in almost a decade and yet you feel you can criticize. When the persons criticizing have done nothing for 9 years, and what they did do was very poor, you lack credibility :) Dozens of my quality demos compared to your 3-4 weak releases. I’ll say no more.

Stash : Try learning to develop your communication skills instead of spewing forth unintelligible diarrhea. Sadly, even that won’t change the fact that you contribute nothing to the 64. With no skills, you could disappear tomorrow and not even be missed. On the bright side, you and Slarti made my game the most popular download of anything I’ve written. Thanks again!

Secret Man : I haven’t seen anyone with as many low votes as you and yet you are one of the main contributing forces to CSDB. If not for you, many releases would be lost to time. Keep up the great work!

Phantom: Great to see another NTSC’er make a comeback. Thanks again for finding the Emotion demo, I had forgotten ever working on that.

Jazzcat : Originally neutral in everything and eventually turning into an aggressor. We’ve made a mountain lion out of you. While I don’t read disk-magazines, you show a great devotion to archiving the news of the scene and that’s very important.

Richard : There are very few people releasing games on the 64 these days. You stand out in the fact that you not only create them but you create a significant amount of them. I find it ironic people re-release your stuff or even criticize it. Anybody can be a re-cracker, but the true talents write their own stuff. Thanks for the music, I like trance too!

Now that my last projects on the C64 are finally finished and I’ve everything out of the way, I’ve closed my other forum accounts and have added a trusted person to be my Account Maintainer on here to ensure I’m not added to other groups (*cough*Stash) in my absence.

Thanks for all of the support and keep the scene alive!!

I’m sure there will be a flurry of responses, but I won't be back to see them. I don't know how some of you can manage to be on here night after night, but I can no longer make the time :)

Take care everyone and thank you for the great memories!!! It was an era that will never again be repeated.

LDA GOOD MEMORIES
JMP $FCE2

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-03-07 23:12
Mermaid

Though you say you're not going to read this, thank you for the apology (again).

If you do another comeback may I recommend more hugs and less...well, you know.

Take care <3
2006-03-08 06:41
Krill

JMP $FCE2 is bad, bad sloppy code. Use the reset vector with JMP ($FFFC) instead.
2006-03-08 11:04
V-12

JMP $FCE2 means that's just not the game over but restart from the beginning...
2006-03-08 11:56
Style

Quote: JMP $FCE2 means that's just not the game over but restart from the beginning...

Thats what Im afraid of.

2006-03-08 12:31
yago

poke1024,2:sys1024
2006-03-08 13:03
TNT
Account closed

yago: sys512+3 or just sys512 if in hurry ;)
2006-04-14 20:51
markus sinalco
Account closed

Hmm, I liked these "Wanderer" releases in 1988.
But don`t know what`s goin` on here..
Maybe just post something.

JMP$#(FE01011001BC),TvInc

Wanderer, don`t become a criminal !

2006-04-15 21:01
Danzig

blah blah... no time.. blah blah... no time...
so why he found the time to write hell of a bunch of bullshyte??? and this silly post has definately nothing to do with CODING... like the originating individual himself...
2006-04-16 00:38
Style

Dont forget kiddly-winks, wdr hasnt actually gone anywhere.

His personal man-whore slave secretman is here listening to us all and reporting back to wdr.

Also, supposedly he had a whine on lemon yesterday.

I guess his fake family and fake career arent taking all that much time after all.
2006-04-18 20:59
markus sinalco
Account closed

So What ?
TWG became a WDR Spy ???

horrible ... .. .

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Ramon B5/DESiRE
Alakran_64
Guests online: 116
Top Demos
1 13:37  (9.8)
2 Next Level  (9.8)